RE: Qstat and Postqueue

  • Sriram Nyshadham
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2008
      No Sahil,

      Qstat is also used for Postfix. I just found that postqueue also displays the repeated attempts to connect to any mail server(s) which are not accepting mails. That's why the count becomes bigger. I believe qstat gives the right value.

      Thanks,
      Sriram Nyshadham.

      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2008
        Sriram Nyshadham wrote:

        [please don't top-post]

        > No Sahil,
        >
        > Qstat is also used for Postfix.

        What is Qstat and where did it come from? All the references
        I find on google indicate it's part of qmail. It's certainly
        not part of postfix. I would always trust an official postfix
        utility before a non-postfix utility, and far before some
        seldom-used tool.

        > I just found that postqueue also displays the repeated attempts to connect to any mail server(s) which are not accepting mails. That's why the count becomes bigger.

        No, but your "wc -l" command will count blank lines and
        multiple recipients. This will give an inflated view of the
        queue, especially if you have some messages with a large
        number of recipients.

        > I believe qstat gives the right value.

        It's possible for both numbers to be right, for some value of
        right. Postqueue is known to be correct and to work as
        documented, the jury is still out on Qstat.

        --
        Noel Jones