Permission denied error

  • Daryl
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 30, 2008
      Greetings,
      For the second time in a month I have a postfix/sendmail: fatal: chdir
      /var/spool/postfix Permission denied error.
      There are no possible solutions in my logs, and googling, has found nothing. My permissions
      for postfix are correct;

      #ls -ld /var/spool/postfix
      drwxrwx--- 20 root postfix 4096 2008-11-14 11:57 /var/spool/postfix

      Running postfix check recently warned me about root not owning certain dir. which I have
      changed.

      I have recently re-configured SAMBA on the same server and until then postfix was working
      fine. Just curious to know if somebody has had the same problems.

      Any help much appreciated!
    • Sahil Tandon
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 30, 2008
        Daryl <daryl@...> wrote:

        > Greetings,
        > For the second time in a month I have a postfix/sendmail: fatal: chdir
        > /var/spool/postfix Permission denied error.
        > There are no possible solutions in my logs, and googling, has found nothing. My permissions
        > for postfix are correct;
        >
        > #ls -ld /var/spool/postfix
        > drwxrwx--- 20 root postfix 4096 2008-11-14 11:57 /var/spool/postfix
        >
        > Running postfix check recently warned me about root not owning certain dir. which I have
        > changed.
        >
        > I have recently re-configured SAMBA on the same server and until then postfix was working
        > fine. Just curious to know if somebody has had the same problems.

        I doubt Samba is the culprit. Do you have SELinux installed? What (PHP
        script for example, or a human being) is running the sendmail command
        that causes the error? Is Postfix running chrooted? Have you read the
        DBEUG_README?

        --
        Sahil Tandon <sahil@...>
      • Bill Cole
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 30, 2008
          Daryl wrote:
          > Greetings,
          > For the second time in a month I have a postfix/sendmail: fatal: chdir
          > /var/spool/postfix Permission denied error.
          > There are no possible solutions in my logs, and googling, has found nothing. My permissions
          > for postfix are correct;
          >
          > #ls -ld /var/spool/postfix
          > drwxrwx--- 20 root postfix 4096 2008-11-14 11:57 /var/spool/postfix

          That is not correct.
        • Daryl
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 30, 2008
            On 30 Nov 2008 at 21:30, Bill Cole wrote:

            > Daryl wrote:
            > > Greetings,
            > > For the second time in a month I have a postfix/sendmail: fatal: chdir
            > > /var/spool/postfix Permission denied error.
            > > There are no possible solutions in my logs, and googling, has found nothing. My permissions
            > > for postfix are correct;
            > >
            > > #ls -ld /var/spool/postfix
            > > drwxrwx--- 20 root postfix 4096 2008-11-14 11:57 /var/spool/postfix
            >
            > That is not correct.

            I don't have SElinux running and changing the permissions to 755 on /var/spool/postfix does
            not change anything .

            Yes, postfix is chrooted with my master.cf as the following

            #
            # Postfix master process configuration file. For details on the format
            # of the file, see the master(5) manual page (command: "man 5 master").
            #
            #
            ===
            # service type private unpriv chroot wakeup maxproc command + args
            # (yes) (yes) (yes) (never) (100)
            #
            ===
            smtp inet n - y - - smtpd
            #submission inet n - - - - smtpd
            # -o smtpd_enforce_tls=yes
            # -o smtpd_sasl_auth_enable=yes
            # -o smtpd_client_restrictions=permit_sasl_authenticated,reject
            #smtps inet n - - - - smtpd
            # -o smtpd_tls_wrappermode=yes
            #628 inet n - - - - qmqpd
            pickup fifo n - y 60 1 pickup
            cleanup unix n - y - 0 cleanup
            qmgr fifo n - y 300 1 qmgr
            #qmgr fifo n - - 300 1 oqmgr
            tlsmgr unix - - y 1000? 1 tlsmgr
            rewrite unix - - y - - trivial-rewrite
            bounce unix - - y - 0 bounce
            defer unix - - y - 0 bounce
            trace unix - - y - 0 bounce
            verify unix - - y - 1 verify
            flush unix n - y 1000? 0 flush
            proxymap unix - - n - - proxymap
            smtp unix - - y - - smtp
            # When relaying mail as backup MX, disable fallback_relay to avoid MX loops
            relay unix - - - - - smtp
            -o fallback_relay=
            # -o smtp_helo_timeout=5 -o smtp_connect_timeout=5
            showq unix n - - - - showq
            error unix - - - - - error

            Hope this helps!
            :
          • Terry Carmen
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 30, 2008
              Daryl wrote:
              > On 30 Nov 2008 at 21:30, Bill Cole wrote:
              >

              >> Daryl wrote:
              >>
              >>> Greetings,
              >>> For the second time in a month I have a postfix/sendmail: fatal: chdir
              >>> /var/spool/postfix Permission denied error.
              >>> There are no possible solutions in my logs, and googling, has found nothing. My permissions
              >>> for postfix are correct;
              >>>
              >>> #ls -ld /var/spool/postfix
              >>> drwxrwx--- 20 root postfix 4096 2008-11-14 11:57 /var/spool/postfix
              >>>
              >> That is not correct.
              >>

              > I don't have SElinux running and changing the permissions to 755 on /var/spool/postfix does
              > not change anything .
              >
              > Yes, postfix is chrooted with my master.cf as the following

              It's supposedly possible to run Postfix chrooted, but I've never had the
              time or patience to make it work.

              Unless you have a huge need to do so and a lot of spare time, I'd
              suggest not doing it.

              Terry
            • Bill Cole
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 30, 2008
                Daryl wrote:
                > On 30 Nov 2008 at 21:30, Bill Cole wrote:
                >
                >> Daryl wrote:
                >>> Greetings,
                >>> For the second time in a month I have a postfix/sendmail: fatal: chdir
                >>> /var/spool/postfix Permission denied error.
                >>> There are no possible solutions in my logs, and googling, has found nothing. My permissions
                >>> for postfix are correct;
                >>>
                >>> #ls -ld /var/spool/postfix
                >>> drwxrwx--- 20 root postfix 4096 2008-11-14 11:57 /var/spool/postfix
                >> That is not correct.
                >>
                > I don't have SElinux running and changing the permissions to 755 on /var/spool/postfix does
                > not change anything .
                >
                > Yes, postfix is chrooted with my master.cf as the following

                I wish you luck.

                Since you've already determined that there's nothing useful in your logs or
                in a description of the functional context of your problem or in a
                'postconf -n' output or what OS you are using or what version of Postfix you
                are running, and you're doing something that is generally not recommended,
                and changing permissions from the installation defaults, you clearly are
                working at a far higher level of expertise that I could dream of for myself,
                and I apologize for wasting your time in noting that your version of
                "correct" diverged from that of mundanes like myself, which is merely "normal."

                Again, quite sincerely, I wish you good luck. Please do the plodders of the
                Postfix community such as myself a favor and publish your fix when you
                figure it out.
              • Daryl
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 30, 2008
                  On 1 Dec 2008 at 0:45, Bill Cole wrote:

                  > Daryl wrote:

                  > >> That is not correct.
                  > >>
                  > > I don't have SElinux running and changing the permissions to 755 on /var/spool/postfix does
                  > > not change anything .
                  > >
                  > > Yes, postfix is chrooted with my master.cf as the following
                  >
                  > I wish you luck.
                  >
                  > Since you've already determined that there's nothing useful in your logs or
                  > in a description of the functional context of your problem or in a
                  > 'postconf -n' output or what OS you are using or what version of Postfix you
                  > are running, and you're doing something that is generally not recommended,
                  > and changing permissions from the installation defaults, you clearly are
                  > working at a far higher level of expertise that I could dream of for myself,
                  > and I apologize for wasting your time in noting that your version of
                  > "correct" diverged from that of mundanes like myself, which is merely "normal."
                  >
                  > Again, quite sincerely, I wish you good luck. Please do the plodders of the
                  > Postfix community such as myself a favor and publish your fix when you
                  > figure it out.

                  Do myself and other people out there and forget the sarcasm!! Nothing I have written has
                  assumed I am "above" all other intelligence! I apologise for not stating that I am running
                  Debian Etch and the only error in my logs are;
                  postfix/sendmail: fatal: chdir /var/spool/postfix Permission denied.

                  I have since taken Postfix out of chroot rebooted and still no change. I have also changed
                  pemissions to 755 on /var/spool/postfix. Googling, adding postfix to sasl group has solved
                  other people's problems but I'm still stuck.

                  This is the second time this has happened, and both times I have been configuring other
                  programmes, ie: samba, as previously stated.

                  Ironically I have also had

                  /etc/cron.daily/man-db:
                  find: /var/cache: Permission denied
                  fopen: Permission denied
                  fopen: Permission denied
                  fopen: Permission denied.

                  mail on a daily basis.
                • Daryl
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 30, 2008
                    All has been solved!!

                    /var had 700 permissions. Changing to 755 corrected everything.
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 1, 2008
                      Daryl:
                      > Greetings,
                      > For the second time in a month I have a postfix/sendmail: fatal: chdir
                      > /var/spool/postfix Permission denied error.
                      > There are no possible solutions in my logs, and googling, has found nothing. My permissions
                      > for postfix are correct;
                      >
                      > #ls -ld /var/spool/postfix
                      > drwxrwx--- 20 root postfix 4096 2008-11-14 11:57 /var/spool/postfix

                      Run:
                      postfix set-permissions

                      to fix this.

                      Wietse

                      > Running postfix check recently warned me about root not owning certain dir. which I have
                      > changed.
                      >
                      > I have recently re-configured SAMBA on the same server and until then postfix was working
                      > fine. Just curious to know if somebody has had the same problems.
                      >
                      > Any help much appreciated!

                    • Antonio Tommasi
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 1, 2008
                        Hi to all,
                        i want to set a dimension limit in relation to recipients number and
                        attachment's size; that is if number_recipients * attachment's size
                        exceed 100MB than i want to discard these email, otherwise i can permit
                        them.
                        Can i do it?
                        How?
                        Thanks in advance