RE: Multiple transports per domain

  • Toni Van Remortel <toni.van.remortel@p-op
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 2, 2008

      Virtual_alias_maps will work for 1 transport > multiple domains.
      What I want, is 1 domain > multiple transports.

      I know it isn't a normal way to handle e-mail delivery, but it sure would improve the migration.

      Grtz,
      Toni
    • Magnus Bäck
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 2, 2008
        On Mon, November 3, 2008 8:25 am, Toni Van Remortel
        <toni.van.remortel@...> said:

        > > use virtual_alias_maps:
        > >
        > > foo@... foo@..., foo@...
        >
        > Virtual_alias_maps will work for 1 transport > multiple domains.
        > What I want, is 1 domain > multiple transports.

        If you don't want the envelope addresses rewritten rewrite them back to
        the original address upon delivery with smtp_generic_maps.

        Two deliveries requires two recipient addresses.

        --
        Magnus Bäck
        magnus@...
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 3, 2008
          Toni Van Remortel <toni.van.remortel@...> wrote:
> [...]

          Avoid stating problems and goals in terms of solutions (think in the
          "problem domain", not in the "solution domain"). I am certain you don't
          care about transports. what you want is the message to be delivered to
          two mailboxes, one of them (or both) being hosted on a remote server.

          for the message to go to two mailboxes, use virtual_alias_maps as
          suggested in my previous post. now the message will be delivered to
          foo@... and foo@.... you can use transport_maps to
          force delivery of these addresses using whatever transport you want. for
          example:

          other.example.com relay:[host.example]:12345

          if in addition you want host.example to see the original recipient, you
          can rewrite the address back using smtp_generic_maps:

          foo@... foo@...

          This works (does not cause a loop) because smtp_generic_maps are
          "resolved" after routing (transport selection).

          If you want the same thing for a whole domain, create entries for each
          valid user. you can't simply use pcre or regexp because
          virtual_alias_maps are used for recipient validation, and a wildcard
          alias will thus break this validation (all addresses will be accepted,
          then bounced later, causing backscatter). so either use a script to
          generate the mappings or use *sql/ldap to generate them on the fly.
        • Toni Van Remortel <toni.van.remortel@p-op
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 3, 2008

            I never talked about a remote server.

            The 2 mailboxes reside on the same mailserver, only in a different system (dovecot and Zarafa).
            Dovecot has to be replaced by Zarafa, but user by user _and_ during work hours.

            So our plan is to set up delivery of e-mails in both dovecot and Zarafa, and do the user migration when it suits us and them.

            Current simple test that works: create a script that is used as transport system which captures the STDIN into a file and 'cat's that mail to the 2 delivery agents. If I can find a way to duplicate STDIN, it's solved (without a real Postfix solution).
            After all, it’s a temporary solution that I need.

            Regards,
            Toni
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 3, 2008
              Toni Van Remortel <toni.van.remortel@...> wrote:

              > I never talked about a remote server.

              0 is a number ;-p

              other.example.com mda2:

              and define mda2 to pass the message to the second MDA. (you can skip the
              smtp_generic_maps part).

              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 3, 2008
                On Mon, November 3, 2008 11:22 am, Toni Van Remortel
                <toni.van.remortel@...> said:

                > > Avoid stating problems and goals in terms of solutions (think in the
                > > "problem domain", not in the "solution domain"). I am certain you don't
                > > care about transports. what you want is the message to be delivered to
                > > two mailboxes, one of them (or both) being hosted on a remote server.
                >
                > I never talked about a remote server.

                That's irrelevant. I repeat, two deliveries requires two recipient addresses.

                [...]

                > Current simple test that works: create a script that is used as transport
                > system which captures the STDIN into a file and 'cat's that mail to the 2
                > delivery agents. If I can find a way to duplicate STDIN, it's solved
                > (without a real Postfix solution).

                That's broken. How do you report back errors to Postfix if one of the two
                delivery agents fail?

                > After all, it’s a temporary solution that I need.

                There's no reason to lax the quality just because it's temporary. It's
                trivial to build a robust solution.

                --
                Magnus Bäck
                magnus@...