mac install

  • Tom Allison
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 2, 2008
      I'm trying to install from scrath on a mac.

      There are a lot paths that are different.
      Does anyone have a synopsis of where some of these paths are?
      I am not through the entire configuration by any means, but I'm starting
      with an error that says the C compiler cannot make executable binaries.

      I thought that was it's job.

      So I'm going to back up and bit and ask if anyone has any good tips here.
    • Norberto Bensa
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 2, 2008
        Hello,

        On Sunday November 2 2008 12:17:39 Tom Allison wrote:
        > I'm trying to install from scrath on a mac.

        I'm not Mac user but...

        > I am not through the entire configuration by any means, but I'm starting
        > with an error that says the C compiler cannot make executable binaries.

        That's pretty common for Gentoo users and it usually means that your CC didn't
        recognize one or more command line options. For example it is very common to
        misread 0 (zero) and O (Oh) in "gcc -O2 hello.c"

        HTH,
        Norberto
      • Jim Wright
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 2, 2008
          On Nov 2, 2008, at 8:36 AM, Norberto Bensa wrote:

          > On Sunday November 2 2008 12:17:39 Tom Allison wrote:
          >> I'm trying to install from scrath on a mac.
          >
          > I'm not Mac user but...

          I am. ;)

          >> I am not through the entire configuration by any means, but I'm
          >> starting
          >> with an error that says the C compiler cannot make executable
          >> binaries.
          >
          > That's pretty common for Gentoo users and it usually means that your
          > CC didn't
          > recognize one or more command line options. For example it is very
          > common to
          > misread 0 (zero) and O (Oh) in "gcc -O2 hello.c"

          First, make sure that you're using the latest xcode (3.11 currently,
          assuming you're on 10.4 or 10.5), and all I usually do is just copy/
          paste the appropriate make instructions, and things work fine. Saves
          on odd typo errors.

          If you can copy/paste your commands and their output from Terminal,
          you'll get more detailed help. Building on OS X isn't any different
          from any other *nix, really, there's nothing OS X specific that you
          have to worry about.