Re: Multiple transports per domain

    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 2, 2008
      Toni Van Remortel wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > We are migrating our mail server from Dovecot to Zarafa.
      > Problem is that we cannot migrate all users in one night, as they all
      > use POP3 and currently have approx 8GB mails each (80 users). There is
      > not yet an active Alfresco for archiving, so we need to carry on with
      > this way of working.
      >
      > So we like to migrate the users one by one, which incorporates that new
      > e-mail should be delivered in both Dovecot and Zarafa at the same time.
      > In this way we can migrate users selectively.
      >
      > Is there a way we can configure Postfix to deliver e-mail to both
      > transports at the same time?

      use virtual_alias_maps:

      foo@... foo@..., foo@...

    • Toni Van Remortel <toni.van.remortel@p-op
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 2, 2008

        Virtual_alias_maps will work for 1 transport > multiple domains.
        What I want, is 1 domain > multiple transports.

        I know it isn't a normal way to handle e-mail delivery, but it sure would improve the migration.

        Grtz,
        Toni
      • Magnus Bäck
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 2, 2008
          On Mon, November 3, 2008 8:25 am, Toni Van Remortel
          <toni.van.remortel@...> said:

          > > use virtual_alias_maps:
          > >
          > > foo@... foo@..., foo@...
          >
          > Virtual_alias_maps will work for 1 transport > multiple domains.
          > What I want, is 1 domain > multiple transports.

          If you don't want the envelope addresses rewritten rewrite them back to
          the original address upon delivery with smtp_generic_maps.

          Two deliveries requires two recipient addresses.

          --
          Magnus Bäck
          magnus@...
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 3, 2008
            Toni Van Remortel <toni.van.remortel@...> wrote:
> [...]

            Avoid stating problems and goals in terms of solutions (think in the
            "problem domain", not in the "solution domain"). I am certain you don't
            care about transports. what you want is the message to be delivered to
            two mailboxes, one of them (or both) being hosted on a remote server.

            for the message to go to two mailboxes, use virtual_alias_maps as
            suggested in my previous post. now the message will be delivered to
            foo@... and foo@.... you can use transport_maps to
            force delivery of these addresses using whatever transport you want. for
            example:

            other.example.com relay:[host.example]:12345

            if in addition you want host.example to see the original recipient, you
            can rewrite the address back using smtp_generic_maps:

            foo@... foo@...

            This works (does not cause a loop) because smtp_generic_maps are
            "resolved" after routing (transport selection).

            If you want the same thing for a whole domain, create entries for each
            valid user. you can't simply use pcre or regexp because
            virtual_alias_maps are used for recipient validation, and a wildcard
            alias will thus break this validation (all addresses will be accepted,
            then bounced later, causing backscatter). so either use a script to
            generate the mappings or use *sql/ldap to generate them on the fly.
          • Toni Van Remortel <toni.van.remortel@p-op
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 3, 2008

              I never talked about a remote server.

              The 2 mailboxes reside on the same mailserver, only in a different system (dovecot and Zarafa).
              Dovecot has to be replaced by Zarafa, but user by user _and_ during work hours.

              So our plan is to set up delivery of e-mails in both dovecot and Zarafa, and do the user migration when it suits us and them.

              Current simple test that works: create a script that is used as transport system which captures the STDIN into a file and 'cat's that mail to the 2 delivery agents. If I can find a way to duplicate STDIN, it's solved (without a real Postfix solution).
              After all, it’s a temporary solution that I need.

              Regards,
              Toni
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 3, 2008
                Toni Van Remortel <toni.van.remortel@...> wrote:

                > I never talked about a remote server.

                0 is a number ;-p

                other.example.com mda2:

                and define mda2 to pass the message to the second MDA. (you can skip the
                smtp_generic_maps part).

                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 3, 2008
                  On Mon, November 3, 2008 11:22 am, Toni Van Remortel
                  <toni.van.remortel@...> said:

                  > > Avoid stating problems and goals in terms of solutions (think in the
                  > > "problem domain", not in the "solution domain"). I am certain you don't
                  > > care about transports. what you want is the message to be delivered to
                  > > two mailboxes, one of them (or both) being hosted on a remote server.
                  >
                  > I never talked about a remote server.

                  That's irrelevant. I repeat, two deliveries requires two recipient addresses.

                  [...]

                  > Current simple test that works: create a script that is used as transport
                  > system which captures the STDIN into a file and 'cat's that mail to the 2
                  > delivery agents. If I can find a way to duplicate STDIN, it's solved
                  > (without a real Postfix solution).

                  That's broken. How do you report back errors to Postfix if one of the two
                  delivery agents fail?

                  > After all, it’s a temporary solution that I need.

                  There's no reason to lax the quality just because it's temporary. It's
                  trivial to build a robust solution.

                  --
                  Magnus Bäck
                  magnus@...