Re: qmgr crashes after upgrade to 2.5

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 30, 2008
      Ofer Inbar:
      > > > What I'm trying to understand is *why* it's hitting the limit.
      > >
      > > If you wonder why 2.5 qmgr uses MORE file dscriptors than 2.2, that
      > > has to do with small improvements so that qmgr can keep more delivery
      > > agents "busy". Each delivery agent corresponds with one qmgr socket.
      >
      > My question is more about trying to understand what it's doing.

      With Postfix 2.4, the number of the highest file descriptor is not
      necessarily equal to the number of open files - 1.

      Postfix 2.4 qmgr avoids using file descriptors < 128. These file
      descriptors remain available for non-Postfix library code that uses
      select() and that would break with file descriptors >= 1024.

      If the kernel enforces the open file limit by controlling the
      largest file descriptor number, then Postfix can exceed the open
      file limit when the number of open files is smaller.