Anomalies with e-mail (Postfix + Gmail).

  • Miguel Da Silva - Centro de Matemática
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 27, 2008
      Ladies and gentlemn, I'd like to ask about a little problem quite curious.

      This is the situation: 2 local users (user1 and user2) are exchanging
      mail with an external user (user3); each one using their own local
      account. The local users has also Gmail accounts and send mail through
      these accounts (again, each user using their one). By the way, to do
      this, they use the Gmail webpage.

      So, some days ago user3 sent me a mail (as I'm the postmaster of the
      domain) telling me he received a big amount of copies of the same mail
      user1 and user2 sent to him. It was like these 2 mails user1 and user2
      sent to him "became" many more (note: user1 and user2 sent different
      mails, not the same one). user3 told me he received about 80 copies of
      each one.

      I'm trying to figure out the source of the problem. What is driving me
      mad is that these mails was not sent through the local SMTP (Postfix
      2.3.8 running in a Debian Etch box), nor an external SMTP. It was sent
      through the Gmail webpage.

      Both users has a .forward file in their homedir and mail is being
      forwarded to the Gmail account.

      Ok... that's all.

      Suggestions?!

      Greetings.
      --
      Miguel Da Silva
      Administrador Junior de Sistemas Unix
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 27, 2008
        That means that the POP command failed to terminate successfully.  I used to get these all the time, and was also attributed to slower connection speeds.  I would have them download Pegasus Mail from www.pmail.com and use it to delete the messages before downloading them.  It works well.  When the download completes the issue will be resolved.

        Daniel Reinhardt
        Website: www.cryptodan.com
        Email: cryptodan@...
        Junior Network Security Engineer

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 27, 2008
          Daniel V. Reinhardt escribió:
          > That means that the POP command failed to terminate successfully. I
          > used to get these all the time, and was also attributed to slower
          > connection speeds. I would have them download Pegasus Mail from
          > www.pmail.com and use it to delete the messages before downloading
          > them. It works well. When the download completes the issue will be
          > resolved.
          >
          > Daniel Reinhardt
          > Website: www.cryptodan.com
          > Email: cryptodan@...
          > Junior Network Security Engineer

          Hmmmm... very interesting. I did not talk with user3 (the external user)
          and can not say if this problem just happens when users from the local
          network send mails to him. So, let's do it.

          Another interesting point is that both user1 and user2 (the local ones,
          sending mail to the external user) are sending mail through Gmail.

          I can not also say if user3 is using POP or IMAP to read mail, that's
          another point to check.

          By the way, one can not always be sure of what the users are really
          doing. :) It's time to grab more information.

          Greetings.
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 27, 2008

            > That means that the POP command failed to terminate successfully.  I
            > used to get these all the
            time, and was also attributed to slower
            > connection speeds.  I would have them download Pegasus Mail from
            > www.pmail.com and use it to delete the messages before downloading
            > them.  It works well.  When the download completes the issue will be
            > resolved.

            > Daniel Reinhardt
            > Website: www.cryptodan.com
            > Email: cryptodan@...
            > Junior Network Security Engineer

            Im not sure if the above happens when using IMAP, but I guess it could if the IMAP Session doesn't tell the server to say hey I downloaded all of you so clear the file for new messages.