Re: valid_hostname chokes on trailing dot

    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 1, 2008
      Chad Whitacre:
      > Is this the right place?
      >
      > https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5321#section-2.3.5

      Does the text say "SEPARATED by dots" or "TERMINATED by dot"?

      Wietse
    • Chad Whitacre
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 1, 2008
        Wietse,

        > Sorry, that is backwards.
        >
        > If you want to "correct" Postfix behavior, then you need to
        > provide supporting documentation that Postfix is in error.
        >
        > So please point out the relevant sections of email related
        > RFCs, otherwise I suggest that you refrain from posting
        > "corrections".

        We've got a misunderstanding. I accept your statement that FQDN
        means something different in SMTP than DNS. I'm not trying to
        correct Postfix behavior, I'm trying to find the best reference
        to add to Wikipedia's article on FQDNs. If I'm not mistaken, 5321
        2.3.5 is this reference (and, coincidentally, it appears that
        5321 is being published as we speak). Yes?

        chad
        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 1, 2008
          Chad Whitacre wrote:
          > Wietse,
          >
          > > Sorry, that is backwards.
          > >
          > > If you want to "correct" Postfix behavior, then you need to
          > > provide supporting documentation that Postfix is in error.
          > >
          > > So please point out the relevant sections of email related
          > > RFCs, otherwise I suggest that you refrain from posting
          > > "corrections".
          >
          > We've got a misunderstanding. I accept your statement that FQDN means
          > something different in SMTP than DNS. I'm not trying to correct Postfix
          > behavior, I'm trying to find the best reference to add to Wikipedia's
          > article on FQDNs. If I'm not mistaken, 5321 2.3.5 is this reference
          > (and, coincidentally, it appears that 5321 is being published as we
          > speak). Yes?
          >

          > chad

          Yes, that looks like an appropriate link.
          it's certainly a better reference than this wandering thread...

          --
          Noel Jones
          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 1, 2008
            Chad Whitacre:
            > Wietse,
            >
            > > Sorry, that is backwards.
            > >
            > > If you want to "correct" Postfix behavior, then you need to
            > > provide supporting documentation that Postfix is in error.
            > >
            > > So please point out the relevant sections of email related
            > > RFCs, otherwise I suggest that you refrain from posting
            > > "corrections".
            >
            > We've got a misunderstanding. I accept your statement that FQDN
            > means something different in SMTP than DNS. I'm not trying to
            > correct Postfix behavior, I'm trying to find the best reference
            > to add to Wikipedia's article on FQDNs. If I'm not mistaken, 5321
            > 2.3.5 is this reference (and, coincidentally, it appears that
            > 5321 is being published as we speak). Yes?

            A mis-understanding as in posting a patch that "corrects" Postfix
            behavior without adequate justification.

            According to RFC 5312 section 2.3.5, SMTP uses the dot as SEPARATOR
            not TERMINATOR in domain names.

            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 1, 2008
              Noel Jones wrote:
              > Welcome to postfix!
              >
              > Valid hostnames in mail are not the same as valid DNS hostnames. Mail
              > hostnames never end with a dot.

              Does DNS even define a "hostname"? My understanding is that this is a
              "natural" term, not a technically defined one (after all, on many
              systems, the "hostname" is not FQDN, et names like "foo_bar" are ok,
              eventhough they can't be used as "mail" hostnames).

              > The current behavior is correct and won't be changed.
              >
              > but thanks for your willingness to help and taking the effort to supply
              > a patch.

            • Chad Whitacre
              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 1, 2008
                Wietse,

                > A mis-understanding as in posting a patch that "corrects"
                > Postfix behavior without adequate justification.
                >
                > According to RFC 5312 section 2.3.5, SMTP uses the dot as
                > SEPARATOR not TERMINATOR in domain names.

                o I raised a legitimate issue. SMTP's use of "FQDN" is not
                widely known. Afaict, it was not even formally defined until
                RFC 5321 was published today--during our conversation.

                o I provided a patch.

                o I apologized quickly for calling this behavior a bug.

                o I never used the word "corrects" or otherwise implied that
                Postfix has it wrong.

                o I accepted your and Noel's clarifications about the use of
                "FQDN" in SMTP.

                o I followed your advice in searching the IETF-SMTP list for
                more info.

                o I updated the Wikipedia article on FQDN's accordingly.

                o Here was my misunderstanding: I thought you posted the
                message about RFCs 5321 and 5322, and were asking me to
                cite these in the Wikipedia article. My fault, sorry.

                o I asked for help in finding the specific reference.

                o I found the reference myself.

                o I updated Wikipedia again.

                I'm human, I make mistakes, and I hope I apologize for them. But
                I'm not an idiot and I'm not malicious. I'm on your side. Don't
                you think you could lighten up a little?

                chad

                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 1, 2008
                  mouss wrote:
                  > Noel Jones wrote:
                  >> Welcome to postfix!
                  >>
                  >> Valid hostnames in mail are not the same as valid DNS hostnames.
                  >> Mail hostnames never end with a dot.
                  >
                  > Does DNS even define a "hostname"? My understanding is that this is a
                  > "natural" term, not a technically defined one (after all, on many
                  > systems, the "hostname" is not FQDN, et names like "foo_bar" are ok,
                  > eventhough they can't be used as "mail" hostnames).

                  An interesting observation. Yes, I believe the dozens of DNS
                  related RFCs mostly talk about "domain name" (aka. FQDN) and
                  "host address" (referring to the IP) rather than "hostname",
                  but this is getting sufficiently OT that I don't really care.

                  --
                  Noel Jones
                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 1, 2008
                    Chad Whitacre wrote:
                    > Wietse,
                    >
                    > > A mis-understanding as in posting a patch that "corrects"
                    > > Postfix behavior without adequate justification.
                    > >
                    > > According to RFC 5312 section 2.3.5, SMTP uses the dot as
                    > > SEPARATOR not TERMINATOR in domain names.
                    >
                    > o I raised a legitimate issue. SMTP's use of "FQDN" is not
                    > widely known. Afaict, it was not even formally defined until
                    > RFC 5321 was published today--during our conversation.

                    Actually 5321 didn't change the definition of helo (and even 2821 didn't
                    really change it).

                    > o I provided a patch.

                    that's nice and constructive.

                    > o I apologized quickly for calling this behavior a bug.

                    sure, but it can't be removed from the history file ;-p

                    > o I never used the word "corrects" or otherwise implied that
                    > Postfix has it wrong.
                    >
                    > o I accepted your and Noel's clarifications about the use of
                    > "FQDN" in SMTP.
                    >
                    > o I followed your advice in searching the IETF-SMTP list for
                    > more info.

                    do you mix mail from me and mail from Wietse?

                    > o I updated the Wikipedia article on FQDN's accordingly.
                    >
                    > o Here was my misunderstanding: I thought you posted the
                    > message about RFCs 5321 and 5322, and were asking me to
                    > cite these in the Wikipedia article. My fault, sorry.
                    >
                    > o I asked for help in finding the specific reference.
                    >
                    > o I found the reference myself.
                    >
                    > o I updated Wikipedia again.
                    >

                    > I'm human, I make mistakes, and I hope I apologize for them. But I'm not
                    > an idiot and I'm not malicious. I'm on your side. Don't you think you
                    > could lighten up a little?

                    don't be upset by the "style". the trailing dot thing has already been
                    debated here a long time ago. so bringing it again does annoy those who
                    have seen the old thread. While you're not required to know all the
                    posts and discussions that happened here, don't be surprised if the
                    hate or animosity.

                    Anyway, as Noel said, "thanks for your willingness to help...".
                    Message 9 of 20 , Oct 1, 2008
                      Chad Whitacre:
                      > Wietse,
                      >
                      > > A mis-understanding as in posting a patch that "corrects"
                      > > Postfix behavior without adequate justification.
                      > >
                      > > According to RFC 5312 section 2.3.5, SMTP uses the dot as
                      > > SEPARATOR not TERMINATOR in domain names.
                      >
                      > o I raised a legitimate issue. SMTP's use of "FQDN" is not
                      > widely known. Afaict, it was not even formally defined until
                      > RFC 5321 was published today--during our conversation.
                      >
                      > o I provided a patch.
                      >
                      > o I apologized quickly for calling this behavior a bug.
                      >
                      > o I never used the word "corrects" or otherwise implied that
                      > Postfix has it wrong.
                      >
                      > o I accepted your and Noel's clarifications about the use of
                      > "FQDN" in SMTP.
                      >
                      > o I followed your advice in searching the IETF-SMTP list for
                      > more info.
                      >
                      > o I updated the Wikipedia article on FQDN's accordingly.
                      >
                      > o Here was my misunderstanding: I thought you posted the
                      > message about RFCs 5321 and 5322, and were asking me to
                      > cite these in the Wikipedia article. My fault, sorry.
                      >
                      > o I asked for help in finding the specific reference.
                      >
                      > o I found the reference myself.
                      >
                      > o I updated Wikipedia again.
                      >

                      > I'm human, I make mistakes, and I hope I apologize for them. But
                      > I'm not an idiot and I'm not malicious. I'm on your side. Don't
                      > you think you could lighten up a little?

                      I am enlighted, but this does not always come across in my
                      short responses.