Re: valid_hostname chokes on trailing dot

    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 1, 2008
      Chad Whitacre wrote:
      > Greetings,
      >
      > In src/util/valid_hostname.c (version 2.5.5), valid_hostname gives a
      > "misplaced delimiter" warning if the hostname ends in a trailing dot.
      > Since a trailing dot is technically part of a FQDN, I suggest that
      > valid_hostname allow them. Patch attached.
      >

      > chad
      >
      > P.S. New to postfix, couldn't find any version control from the
      > website, hence the patch against 2.5.5. The bug also exists in
      > 2.6-20080903.

      Welcome to postfix!

      Valid hostnames in mail are not the same as valid DNS
      hostnames. Mail hostnames never end with a dot.

      The current behavior is correct and won't be changed.

      but thanks for your willingness to help and taking the effort
      to supply a patch.

      --
      Noel Jones
    • Chad Whitacre
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 1, 2008
        > I suggest bringing this on an IETF mailing list.

        Thanks for the pointers.

        > calling it a bug without confirmation by the developpers is
        > sure to help your cause ;-p

        Right, sorry ... "behavior." :^P

        chad
      • Chad Whitacre
        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 1, 2008
          Noel,

          > The current behavior is correct and won't be changed.

          Thanks for the welcome and info. I've updated the Wikipedia entry
          on FQDN's accordingly:

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FQDN

          chad
          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 1, 2008
            Chad Whitacre:
            > Greetings,
            >
            > In src/util/valid_hostname.c (version 2.5.5), valid_hostname
            > gives a "misplaced delimiter" warning if the hostname ends in a
            > trailing dot. Since a trailing dot is technically part of a FQDN,
            > I suggest that valid_hostname allow them. Patch attached.

            Please cite the relevant section of the relevant RFC.

            Wietse
          • Chad Whitacre
            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 1, 2008
              Happy to if you point me to it. I'm not an expert.

              chad

              Wietse Venema wrote:
              > Chad Whitacre:
              >> Greetings,
              >>
              >> In src/util/valid_hostname.c (version 2.5.5), valid_hostname
              >> gives a "misplaced delimiter" warning if the hostname ends in a
              >> trailing dot. Since a trailing dot is technically part of a FQDN,
              >> I suggest that valid_hostname allow them. Patch attached.
              >
              > Please cite the relevant section of the relevant RFC.
              >
              > Wietse

            • Chad Whitacre
              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 1, 2008
                >> Please cite the relevant section of the relevant RFC.
                > Happy to if you point me to it. I'm not an expert.

                Is this the right place?

                chad
              • John Peach
                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 1, 2008
                  On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 12:40:57 -0400
                  Chad Whitacre <chad@...> wrote:

                  > >> Please cite the relevant section of the relevant RFC.
                  > > Happy to if you point me to it. I'm not an expert.
                  >
                  > Is this the right place?
                  >
                  > https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5321#section-2.3.5

                  If it is, it does not back up your assertion that a trailing dot is
                  part of the FQDN.

                  --
                  John
                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 1, 2008
                    Chad Whitacre:
                    > Greetings,
                    >
                    > In src/util/valid_hostname.c (version 2.5.5), valid_hostname
                    > gives a "misplaced delimiter" warning if the hostname ends in a
                    > trailing dot. Since a trailing dot is technically part of a FQDN,
                    > I suggest that valid_hostname allow them. Patch attached.

                    Wietse:
                    > > Please cite the relevant section of the relevant RFC.

                    Chad Whitacre:
                    > Happy to if you point me to it. I'm not an expert.

                    Sorry, that is backwards.

                    If you want to "correct" Postfix behavior, then you need to provide
                    supporting documentation that Postfix is in error.

                    So please point out the relevant sections of email related RFCs,
                    otherwise I suggest that you refrain from posting "corrections".

                    Wietse
                  • Chad Whitacre
                    Message 9 of 20 , Oct 1, 2008
                      John,

                      > If it is, it does not back up your assertion that a trailing
                      > dot is part of the FQDN.

                      Right, I stopped asserting that when Wietse and Noel told me that
                      FQDN means something different for SMTP than for DNS. The
                      question (I thought) was what to point to from Wikipedia.

                      chad

                      Message 10 of 20 , Oct 1, 2008
                        Chad Whitacre:
                        > Is this the right place?
                        >
                        > https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5321#section-2.3.5

                        Does the text say "SEPARATED by dots" or "TERMINATED by dot"?

                        Wietse
                      • Chad Whitacre
                        Message 11 of 20 , Oct 1, 2008
                          Wietse,

                          > Sorry, that is backwards.
                          >
                          > If you want to "correct" Postfix behavior, then you need to
                          > provide supporting documentation that Postfix is in error.
                          >
                          > So please point out the relevant sections of email related
                          > RFCs, otherwise I suggest that you refrain from posting
                          > "corrections".

                          We've got a misunderstanding. I accept your statement that FQDN
                          means something different in SMTP than DNS. I'm not trying to
                          correct Postfix behavior, I'm trying to find the best reference
                          to add to Wikipedia's article on FQDNs. If I'm not mistaken, 5321
                          2.3.5 is this reference (and, coincidentally, it appears that
                          5321 is being published as we speak). Yes?

                          chad
                          Message 12 of 20 , Oct 1, 2008
                            Chad Whitacre wrote:
                            > Wietse,
                            >
                            > > Sorry, that is backwards.
                            > >
                            > > If you want to "correct" Postfix behavior, then you need to
                            > > provide supporting documentation that Postfix is in error.
                            > >
                            > > So please point out the relevant sections of email related
                            > > RFCs, otherwise I suggest that you refrain from posting
                            > > "corrections".
                            >
                            > We've got a misunderstanding. I accept your statement that FQDN means
                            > something different in SMTP than DNS. I'm not trying to correct Postfix
                            > behavior, I'm trying to find the best reference to add to Wikipedia's
                            > article on FQDNs. If I'm not mistaken, 5321 2.3.5 is this reference
                            > (and, coincidentally, it appears that 5321 is being published as we
                            > speak). Yes?
                            >

                            > chad

                            Yes, that looks like an appropriate link.
                            it's certainly a better reference than this wandering thread...

                            --
                            Noel Jones
                            Message 13 of 20 , Oct 1, 2008
                              Chad Whitacre:
                              > Wietse,
                              >
                              > > Sorry, that is backwards.
                              > >
                              > > If you want to "correct" Postfix behavior, then you need to
                              > > provide supporting documentation that Postfix is in error.
                              > >
                              > > So please point out the relevant sections of email related
                              > > RFCs, otherwise I suggest that you refrain from posting
                              > > "corrections".
                              >
                              > We've got a misunderstanding. I accept your statement that FQDN
                              > means something different in SMTP than DNS. I'm not trying to
                              > correct Postfix behavior, I'm trying to find the best reference
                              > to add to Wikipedia's article on FQDNs. If I'm not mistaken, 5321
                              > 2.3.5 is this reference (and, coincidentally, it appears that
                              > 5321 is being published as we speak). Yes?

                              A mis-understanding as in posting a patch that "corrects" Postfix
                              behavior without adequate justification.

                              According to RFC 5312 section 2.3.5, SMTP uses the dot as SEPARATOR
                              not TERMINATOR in domain names.

                              Message 14 of 20 , Oct 1, 2008
                                Noel Jones wrote:
                                > Welcome to postfix!
                                >
                                > Valid hostnames in mail are not the same as valid DNS hostnames. Mail
                                > hostnames never end with a dot.

                                Does DNS even define a "hostname"? My understanding is that this is a
                                "natural" term, not a technically defined one (after all, on many
                                systems, the "hostname" is not FQDN, et names like "foo_bar" are ok,
                                eventhough they can't be used as "mail" hostnames).

                                > The current behavior is correct and won't be changed.
                                >
                                > but thanks for your willingness to help and taking the effort to supply
                                > a patch.

                              • Chad Whitacre
                                Message 15 of 20 , Oct 1, 2008
                                  Wietse,

                                  > A mis-understanding as in posting a patch that "corrects"
                                  > Postfix behavior without adequate justification.
                                  >
                                  > According to RFC 5312 section 2.3.5, SMTP uses the dot as
                                  > SEPARATOR not TERMINATOR in domain names.

                                  o I raised a legitimate issue. SMTP's use of "FQDN" is not
                                  widely known. Afaict, it was not even formally defined until
                                  RFC 5321 was published today--during our conversation.

                                  o I provided a patch.

                                  o I apologized quickly for calling this behavior a bug.

                                  o I never used the word "corrects" or otherwise implied that
                                  Postfix has it wrong.

                                  o I accepted your and Noel's clarifications about the use of
                                  "FQDN" in SMTP.

                                  o I followed your advice in searching the IETF-SMTP list for
                                  more info.

                                  o I updated the Wikipedia article on FQDN's accordingly.

                                  o Here was my misunderstanding: I thought you posted the
                                  message about RFCs 5321 and 5322, and were asking me to
                                  cite these in the Wikipedia article. My fault, sorry.

                                  o I asked for help in finding the specific reference.

                                  o I found the reference myself.

                                  o I updated Wikipedia again.

                                  I'm human, I make mistakes, and I hope I apologize for them. But
                                  I'm not an idiot and I'm not malicious. I'm on your side. Don't
                                  you think you could lighten up a little?

                                  chad

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Oct 1, 2008
                                    mouss wrote:
                                    > Noel Jones wrote:
                                    >> Welcome to postfix!
                                    >>
                                    >> Valid hostnames in mail are not the same as valid DNS hostnames.
                                    >> Mail hostnames never end with a dot.
                                    >
                                    > Does DNS even define a "hostname"? My understanding is that this is a
                                    > "natural" term, not a technically defined one (after all, on many
                                    > systems, the "hostname" is not FQDN, et names like "foo_bar" are ok,
                                    > eventhough they can't be used as "mail" hostnames).

                                    An interesting observation. Yes, I believe the dozens of DNS
                                    related RFCs mostly talk about "domain name" (aka. FQDN) and
                                    "host address" (referring to the IP) rather than "hostname",
                                    but this is getting sufficiently OT that I don't really care.

                                    --
                                    Noel Jones
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Oct 1, 2008
                                      Chad Whitacre wrote:
                                      > Wietse,
                                      >
                                      > > A mis-understanding as in posting a patch that "corrects"
                                      > > Postfix behavior without adequate justification.
                                      > >
                                      > > According to RFC 5312 section 2.3.5, SMTP uses the dot as
                                      > > SEPARATOR not TERMINATOR in domain names.
                                      >
                                      > o I raised a legitimate issue. SMTP's use of "FQDN" is not
                                      > widely known. Afaict, it was not even formally defined until
                                      > RFC 5321 was published today--during our conversation.

                                      Actually 5321 didn't change the definition of helo (and even 2821 didn't
                                      really change it).

                                      > o I provided a patch.

                                      that's nice and constructive.

                                      > o I apologized quickly for calling this behavior a bug.

                                      sure, but it can't be removed from the history file ;-p

                                      > o I never used the word "corrects" or otherwise implied that
                                      > Postfix has it wrong.
                                      >
                                      > o I accepted your and Noel's clarifications about the use of
                                      > "FQDN" in SMTP.
                                      >
                                      > o I followed your advice in searching the IETF-SMTP list for
                                      > more info.

                                      do you mix mail from me and mail from Wietse?

                                      > o I updated the Wikipedia article on FQDN's accordingly.
                                      >
                                      > o Here was my misunderstanding: I thought you posted the
                                      > message about RFCs 5321 and 5322, and were asking me to
                                      > cite these in the Wikipedia article. My fault, sorry.
                                      >
                                      > o I asked for help in finding the specific reference.
                                      >
                                      > o I found the reference myself.
                                      >
                                      > o I updated Wikipedia again.
                                      >

                                      > I'm human, I make mistakes, and I hope I apologize for them. But I'm not
                                      > an idiot and I'm not malicious. I'm on your side. Don't you think you
                                      > could lighten up a little?

                                      don't be upset by the "style". the trailing dot thing has already been
                                      debated here a long time ago. so bringing it again does annoy those who
                                      have seen the old thread. While you're not required to know all the
                                      posts and discussions that happened here, don't be surprised if the
                                      hate or animosity.

                                      Anyway, as Noel said, "thanks for your willingness to help...".
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Oct 1, 2008
                                        Chad Whitacre:
                                        > Wietse,
                                        >
                                        > > A mis-understanding as in posting a patch that "corrects"
                                        > > Postfix behavior without adequate justification.
                                        > >
                                        > > According to RFC 5312 section 2.3.5, SMTP uses the dot as
                                        > > SEPARATOR not TERMINATOR in domain names.
                                        >
                                        > o I raised a legitimate issue. SMTP's use of "FQDN" is not
                                        > widely known. Afaict, it was not even formally defined until
                                        > RFC 5321 was published today--during our conversation.
                                        >
                                        > o I provided a patch.
                                        >
                                        > o I apologized quickly for calling this behavior a bug.
                                        >
                                        > o I never used the word "corrects" or otherwise implied that
                                        > Postfix has it wrong.
                                        >
                                        > o I accepted your and Noel's clarifications about the use of
                                        > "FQDN" in SMTP.
                                        >
                                        > o I followed your advice in searching the IETF-SMTP list for
                                        > more info.
                                        >
                                        > o I updated the Wikipedia article on FQDN's accordingly.
                                        >
                                        > o Here was my misunderstanding: I thought you posted the
                                        > message about RFCs 5321 and 5322, and were asking me to
                                        > cite these in the Wikipedia article. My fault, sorry.
                                        >
                                        > o I asked for help in finding the specific reference.
                                        >
                                        > o I found the reference myself.
                                        >
                                        > o I updated Wikipedia again.
                                        >

                                        > I'm human, I make mistakes, and I hope I apologize for them. But
                                        > I'm not an idiot and I'm not malicious. I'm on your side. Don't
                                        > you think you could lighten up a little?

                                        I am enlighted, but this does not always come across in my
                                        short responses.