RE: Aliases Lookups, not found? Then Smarthost

  • wiskbroom@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2008
      Many thanks for the help mouss, and my apologies for my hiatus...

      As per my email, I am using NIS and DBM aliases foor all of my users and aliases for them.

      What I must do is forward *ALL* email for say example.net to a Microsoft Exchange server, this forward to happen blindly and I do not wish to manage alias tables for users on the PF relay.  I do however wish to process the email for spam and AV in the same way that I would for my regular accounts.

      Man thanks in advance,

      .vp

      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 2008
        On Wed, Oct 01, 2008 at 11:31:32AM -0400, wiskbroom@... wrote:

        > Many thanks for the help mouss, and my apologies for my hiatus...
        >
        > As per my email, I am using NIS and DBM aliases foor all of my users and aliases for them.
        >
        > What I must do is forward *ALL* email for say example.net to a Microsoft Exchange server, this forward to happen blindly and I do not wish to manage alias tables for users on the PF relay. I do however wish to process the email for spam and AV in the same way that I would for my regular accounts.

        Are you confusing the words "forward" and "relay"?

        - Forward: Take email destined for recipient A and forward it
        to recipient B instead of (or sometimes in addition to)
        delivering it to A's mailbox.

        - Relay: Route mail addressed to one or more recipients to a
        a suitable gateway responsible for handling mail to those
        recipients.

        Forwarding is generally done via address rewriting, while relaying
        is done via transport/nexthop selection.