Re: Duplicating messages

    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 25, 2008
      On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 09:21:54AM -0400, Justin McAleer wrote:

      > >Another difference is that to the extent possible, failures to deliver
      > >BCC copies do not generate bounces, so for archive/forensic/... copies,
      > >BCC is often best.
      >
      > I've always had concerns over the bcc bounce situation. Can you
      > elaborate a bit more on when a bounce will or will not get sent? From
      > the documentation for recipient_bcc_maps:
      >
      > Note: if mail to the BCC address bounces it will be returned to the sender.

      Sufficiently recent Postfix releases (2.3 and later), will set the
      NOTIFY=NEVER DSN attribute for BCC recipients.

      If the BCC delivery fails on the Postfix system that generated the BCC
      recipient (e.g. rejected by the nexthop, ...) there is no bounce. If
      all the MTAs between the system that generates the BCC recipients up to
      and including the system where delivery finally fails support DSN (and
      don't disable this support globally or selectively for the message
      source) then again there is no bounce, because NOTIFY=NEVER is passed
      forward along the delivery path when the nexthop MTA supports DSN.