Re: Virtual Alias Tables

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 24, 2008
      Matthew wrote:
      > I have what (I hope) is a reasonably simple question.
      > I am using virtual aliases in /etc/postfix/virtual in the following
      > format.
      >
      > user1@... user1
      > user2@... user 2
      > webmaster@... webmaster
      > etc...
      >
      > I also have a catchall address setup as follows
      > @... catchall
      >
      > This routes the mail appropriately and I am satisfied with the basic
      > functionality.
      >
      > The issue I'm having is the interrelation with /etc/aliases and the
      > system accounts.
      > I want all of the system/pseudo accounts to forward to root and
      > eventually root's mail to forward to a specified user on the system.
      > This way system messages, daily logs etc go to this particular user. So
      > the format in /etc/aliases is as follows.
      > mail: root
      > webmaster: root
      > etc...
      > # Person who should get root's mail
      > root: regularuser
      >
      > Again, this works fine on it's own. The problem is the interrelation
      > between these two files.
      > So to summarize, the Postfix routing works great using the virtual
      > aliases, but the system accounts don't work as intended.
      > If I don't use virtual aliases in Postfix (which I really need to) then
      > they internal routing works fine.
      > I know there's a simple solution and it's right in front of me, I just
      > can't see it...

      the catchall catches it all. you'll have to put all your local aliases
      in virtual (but add the domain part) and also add an identity mapping
      for the "regularuser":
      regularuser@... regularuser@...

      note that a catchall is not recommended as it attracts spam (and you
      can't use it as a trap because people sometimes mistype addresses....).