Re: Relayhost, client bounces & best practice?

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2008
      netcat wrote:

      > Apologies if this is a trivial question, I haven't seen it discussed.
      > Searching brought up 1 related issue, which 1) was not answered and 2)
      > was looking at the problem from the wrong side. This was someone
      > wondering how to exclude bounces from the rest that he relayed to his
      > relayhost.
      >
      > I'm at the other side of the problem. We've got a server that's
      > relayhost for lots of clients of various configurations and sizes. Some
      > of these clients are, in fact, MX-es directly connected to the net, but
      > still use our server as an outgoing relay. Those of them that do delayed
      > bounces, send their backscatter to us. Supposing that we have to relay
      > for them and we can't force them all to stop bouncing, what would be the
      > best solution?
      > Somehow I don't think that rejecting the null sender is entirely correct.

      you can refuse relay if the sender is null (use a map that returns
      reject_unauth_destination if the sender is null or mailer-daemon ...).

      This will however block legitimate bounces (out of quota, ...). but it
      may be better than backscatter...

      you can also use a proxy_filter that checks the content of the bounce
      and only blocks it if it contains some patterns ("user unknown", "action
      not taken", ... etc).