Relayhost, client bounces & best practice?

  • netcat
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2008
      Apologies if this is a trivial question, I haven't seen it discussed.
      Searching brought up 1 related issue, which 1) was not answered and 2) was
      looking at the problem from the wrong side. This was someone wondering how
      to exclude bounces from the rest that he relayed to his relayhost.

      I'm at the other side of the problem. We've got a server that's relayhost
      for lots of clients of various configurations and sizes. Some of these
      clients are, in fact, MX-es directly connected to the net, but still use
      our server as an outgoing relay. Those of them that do delayed bounces,
      send their backscatter to us. Supposing that we have to relay for them and
      we can't force them all to stop bouncing, what would be the best solution?
      Somehow I don't think that rejecting the null sender is entirely correct.

      rgds,
      netcat
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1, 2008
        netcat wrote:

        > Apologies if this is a trivial question, I haven't seen it discussed.
        > Searching brought up 1 related issue, which 1) was not answered and 2)
        > was looking at the problem from the wrong side. This was someone
        > wondering how to exclude bounces from the rest that he relayed to his
        > relayhost.
        >
        > I'm at the other side of the problem. We've got a server that's
        > relayhost for lots of clients of various configurations and sizes. Some
        > of these clients are, in fact, MX-es directly connected to the net, but
        > still use our server as an outgoing relay. Those of them that do delayed
        > bounces, send their backscatter to us. Supposing that we have to relay
        > for them and we can't force them all to stop bouncing, what would be the
        > best solution?
        > Somehow I don't think that rejecting the null sender is entirely correct.

        you can refuse relay if the sender is null (use a map that returns
        reject_unauth_destination if the sender is null or mailer-daemon ...).

        This will however block legitimate bounces (out of quota, ...). but it
        may be better than backscatter...

        you can also use a proxy_filter that checks the content of the bounce
        and only blocks it if it contains some patterns ("user unknown", "action
        not taken", ... etc).