anvil logging

  • Mark Watts
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1, 2008
      Is there a mechanism to reduce/stop the logging that anvil does?

      I have a low-traffic mail server and I'd prefer anvil to not log anything if
      possible.

      Am I limited to setting anvil_status_update_time to something high? (~1 week)

      Regards,

      Mark.

      --
      Mark Watts BSc RHCE MBCS
      Senior Systems Engineer
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 1, 2008
        Mark Watts:
        > Is there a mechanism to reduce/stop the logging that anvil does?

        No. Anvil logs something when it terminates (Postfix is not receiving
        mail), and it logs something every 10 minutes or so when Postfix
        is busy.

        > I have a low-traffic mail server and I'd prefer anvil to not log anything if
        > possible.
        >
        > Am I limited to setting anvil_status_update_time to something high? (~1 week)

        That would suck up an insane amount of memory when you get
        hit by a backscatter wave.

        What is the problem that you are trying to solve and that could
        not be solved with grep(1)? Please describe the problem not the
        solution. Are you worried that the disk wears out, or that you are
        accelerating the thermodynamic death of the universe?

        Wietse
      • Mark Watts
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 1, 2008
          On Monday 01 September 2008 14:21:56 Wietse Venema wrote:
          > Mark Watts:
          > > Is there a mechanism to reduce/stop the logging that anvil does?
          >
          > No. Anvil logs something when it terminates (Postfix is not receiving
          > mail), and it logs something every 10 minutes or so when Postfix
          > is busy.
          >
          > > I have a low-traffic mail server and I'd prefer anvil to not log anything
          > > if possible.
          > >
          > > Am I limited to setting anvil_status_update_time to something high? (~1
          > > week)
          >
          > That would suck up an insane amount of memory when you get
          > hit by a backscatter wave.
          >
          > What is the problem that you are trying to solve and that could
          > not be solved with grep(1)? Please describe the problem not the
          > solution. Are you worried that the disk wears out, or that you are
          > accelerating the thermodynamic death of the universe?
          >
          > Wietse

          My "problem" can be solved by grep, but since anvil's statistics are of no
          immediate use to me, I see little point in filling my logs with them.

          Mark.

          --
          Mark Watts BSc RHCE MBCS
          Senior Systems Engineer
          QinetiQ Applied Technologies
        • Francisco Reyes
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 1, 2008
            Mark Watts writes:

            > My "problem" can be solved by grep, but since anvil's statistics are of no
            > immediate use to me, I see little point in filling my logs with them.

            Perhaps you could take a look at syslog-ng. I believe it is able to filter
            out lines based on expressions. Or pretty much any syslog with that
            capability.. I am only aware of syslog-ng, but others may do it too.
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 1, 2008
              Mark Watts wrote:

              > My "problem" can be solved by grep, but since anvil's statistics are of no
              > immediate use to me, I see little point in filling my logs with them.

              These are not your logs. These are system logs. are you "System"? :)

              you can have your log rotation program to remove what you don't want to
              keep. or as suggested by Francisco, you could use syslog-ng.

              Logs may be useless when everything is as you want. but you regret their
              absence when troubleshooting...