Re: cannot find your hostname

    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 1, 2008
      Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
      > * Ebbe Hjorth <info@...>:
      >> Hi,
      >>
      >> My freebsd mailq command shows
      >>
      >> (host mail.newsmailservice.com[212.97.129.145] said: 450 Client host
      >> rejected: cannot find your hostname, [86.58.167.132] (in reply to RCPT TO
      >> command))
      >>
      >> But as far as i can see, i have reverse dns and a record setup correct,
      >> which google shows me could be the problem.
      >
      > # host 86.58.167.132
      > Host 132.167.58.86.in-addr.arpa. not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

      same from here.

      OP should test his DNS using available _external_ tools.
    • Rod Dorman
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 1, 2008
        On Monday, September 1, 2008, 08:23:15, Ebbe Hjorth wrote:
        > But as far as i can see, i have reverse dns and a record setup correct,

        But did you arrange to have your DNS server be authoritative for your IP
        range?

        See http://www.ripe.net/reverse/ for details.

        --
        rodd@... "The avalanche has already started, it is too
        Rod Dorman late for the pebbles to vote." - Ambassador Kosh
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 2, 2009
          what exactly does "Cannot find your hostname" mean?

          NOQUEUE: reject_warning: RCPT from unknown[216.1.201.141]: 450 4.7.1
          Client host rejected: cannot find your hostname, [216.1.201.141];
          from=<Billfzitvm@...> to=<USER@...>
          proto=SMTP helo=<mx4.wellmissionstyle.com>

          ;; ANSWER SECTION:
          wellmissionstyle.com. 6402 IN A 216.1.201.164

          $ host 216.1.201.141
          141.201.1.216.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer unite13.ufot.com.

          the mailserver (I'm sure it's a spammer, but still) gives the "right"
          hostname based on the domains DNS, but it's still tagged as unknown.
          The rDNS is wrong, but does reject_unknown_hostname care about that?

          --
          Today the road all runners come/Shoulder high we bring you home.
          And set you at your threshold down/Townsman of a stiller
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 2, 2009
            On 2-Sep-2009, at 16:46, LuKreme wrote:
            > what exactly does "Cannot find your hostname" mean?

            Never mind. Found the answer a few seconds after hitting send.

            > $ host 216.1.201.141
            > 141.201.1.216.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer unite13.ufot.com.

            $ host unite13.ufot.com
            Host unite13.ufot.com not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

            --
            It was intended that when Newspeak had been adopted once and for
            all and Oldspeak forgotten, a heretical thought...should be
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 2, 2009
              On Wednesday 02 September 2009 17:46:38 LuKreme wrote:
              > what exactly does "Cannot find your hostname" mean?
              >
              > NOQUEUE: reject_warning: RCPT from unknown[216.1.201.141]: 450 4.7.1
              > Client host rejected: cannot find your hostname, [216.1.201.141];
              > from=<Billfzitvm@...> to=<USER@...>
              > proto=SMTP helo=<mx4.wellmissionstyle.com>
              >
              > ;; ANSWER SECTION:
              > wellmissionstyle.com. 6402 IN A 216.1.201.164
              >
              > $ host 216.1.201.141
              > 141.201.1.216.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer unite13.ufot.com.

              $ host 216.1.201.141
              Host 141.201.1.216.in-addr.arpa. not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

              ... is what I get.

              > the mailserver (I'm sure it's a spammer, but still) gives the
              > "right" hostname based on the domains DNS, but it's still tagged
              > as unknown. The rDNS is wrong, but does reject_unknown_hostname
              > care about that?

              You seem to be confusing several restrictions here.

              1. reject_unknown_hostname is the deprecated form, now known as
              reject_unknown_helo_hostname. It attempts to resolve the HELO
              hostname, rejects if that fails to resolve.

              2. reject_unknown_reverse_client_hostname rejects if there is no PTR
              for an IP address. It doesn't enforce FCrDNS[1]. If a PTR is found,
              that's good enough.

              3. reject_unknown_client_hostname rejects if the FCrDNS fails.

              In your case, it was probably #2 or #3 in warn_if_reject mode,
              because the logged message says, "Client host rejected: ..." A HELO
              restriction would say "HELO command rejected: ..."

              [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FCrDNS
            • Sahil Tandon
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 2, 2009
                On Wed, 02 Sep 2009, LuKreme wrote:

                > what exactly does "Cannot find your hostname" mean?
                >
                > NOQUEUE: reject_warning: RCPT from unknown[216.1.201.141]: 450 4.7.1
                > Client host rejected: cannot find your hostname, [216.1.201.141];
                > from=<Billfzitvm@...> to=<USER@...> proto=SMTP
                > helo=<mx4.wellmissionstyle.com>
                >
                > ;; ANSWER SECTION:
                > wellmissionstyle.com. 6402 IN A 216.1.201.164
                >
                > $ host 216.1.201.141
                > 141.201.1.216.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer unite13.ufot.com.
                >
                > the mailserver (I'm sure it's a spammer, but still) gives the "right"
                > hostname based on the domains DNS, but it's still tagged as unknown. The
                > rDNS is wrong, but does reject_unknown_hostname care about that?

                As clearly documented in postconf(5), reject_unknown_hostname is a deprecated
                reference to reject_unknown_helo_hostname, and thus unrelated to the client
                hostname. The *client* host above is being rejected because of
                reject_unknown_client_hostname, which rejects a request when "1) the client
                IP address->name mapping fails, 2) the name->address mapping fails, or 3) the
                name->address mapping does not match the client IP address."

                In your follow-up, you already determined which one of these tests triggered
                the rejection.

                --
                Sahil Tandon <sahil@...>
              • Scott Haneda
                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 2, 2009
                  On Sep 2, 2009, at 4:07 PM, Sahil Tandon wrote:

                  > As clearly documented in postconf(5),

                  How exactly does one get to that man page?
                  man postconf
                  That of course works.

                  man postconf(5)
                  -bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('
                  man postconf5
                  No manual entry for postconf5

                  Does this imply there are version 1, 2, 3, and 4 as well? How do I
                  find out?
                • Terry Gilsenan
                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 2, 2009
                    On Sep 2, 2009, at 4:07 PM, Sahil Tandon wrote:

                    > As clearly documented in postconf(5),

                    How exactly does one get to that man page?
                    man postconf
                    That of course works.

                    man postconf(5)
                    -bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('
                    man postconf5
                    No manual entry for postconf5

                    like this..:

                    man 5 postconf

                    Does this imply there are version 1, 2, 3, and 4 as well? How do I
                    find out?
                  • Marcel Montes
                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 2, 2009
                      Scott Haneda さんは書きました:
                      > man postconf(5)
                      > -bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('
                      > man postconf5
                      > No manual entry for postconf5
                      >
                      > Does this imply there are version 1, 2, 3, and 4 as well? How do I
                      > find out?

                      The number specifies the section, not version.

                      $ man 5 postconf
                      $ whereis postconf
                      postconf: /usr/sbin/postconf /usr/share/man/man5/postconf.5.gz
                      /usr/share/man/man1/postconf.1.gz

                      So postconf has sections 1 and 5 available.
                    • LuKreme
                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 2, 2009
                        On 2-Sep-2009, at 20:40, Scott Haneda wrote:
                        > On Sep 2, 2009, at 4:07 PM, Sahil Tandon wrote:
                        >
                        >> As clearly documented in postconf(5),
                        >
                        > How exactly does one get to that man page?

                        man 5 postconf

                        --
                        Did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts? Hot
                        ashes for trees? Hot air for a cool breeze? Cold comfort
                        Message 11 of 17 , Sep 2, 2009
                          On 2-Sep-2009, at 17:02, /dev/rob0 wrote:
                          > On Wednesday 02 September 2009 17:46:38 LuKreme wrote:
                          >> The rDNS is wrong, but does reject_unknown_hostname
                          >> care about that?
                          >
                          > You seem to be confusing several restrictions here.

                          Actually, I merely typoed. I do not have "reject_unknown_hostname"

                          smtpd_helo_restrictions = permit_mynetworks,
                          reject_invalid_helo_hostname,
                          reject_non_fqdn_helo_hostname,
                          permit

                          smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
                          reject_non_fqdn_sender,
                          reject_non_fqdn_recipient,
                          reject_unknown_sender_domain,
                          reject_invalid_hostname,
                          permit_mynetworks,
                          check_client_access hash:$config_directory/pbs,
                          permit_sasl_authenticated,
                          reject_unauth_destination,
                          reject_unlisted_recipient,
                          reject_unlisted_sender,
                          reject_unknown_reverse_client_hostname,
                          warn_if_reject reject_unknown_client_hostname,
                          [Checks go here]

                          > 2. reject_unknown_reverse_client_hostname rejects if there is no PTR
                          > for an IP address. It doesn't enforce FCrDNS[1]. If a PTR is found,
                          > that's good enough.
                          >
                          > 3. reject_unknown_client_hostname rejects if the FCrDNS fails.
                          >
                          > In your case, it was probably #2 or #3 in warn_if_reject mode,

                          Exactly right, as you can see from above.

                          > because the logged message says, "Client host rejected: ..." A HELO
                          > restriction would say "HELO command rejected: ..."

                          --
                          Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog,
                          it's too dark to read.
                          Message 12 of 17 , Sep 2, 2009
                            On Wed, 02 Sep 2009, Scott Haneda wrote:

                            > On Sep 2, 2009, at 4:07 PM, Sahil Tandon wrote:
                            >
                            >> As clearly documented in postconf(5),
                            >
                            > How exactly does one get to that man page?
                            > man postconf
                            > That of course works.

                            That "works" because, absent a section specification, man(1) will only
                            display the first manual page it finds in MANPATH.

                            > man postconf(5)
                            > -bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('
                            > man postconf5
                            > No manual entry for postconf5

                            The correct syntax is documented in the man(1) manpage. :-)

                            > Does this imply there are version 1, 2, 3, and 4 as well? How do I find
                            > out?

                            To see which manual sections contain a 'postconf' page:

                            % man -wa postconf
                            /usr/local/man/man1/postconf.1.gz
                            /usr/local/man/man5/postconf.5.gz

                            --
                            Sahil Tandon <sahil@...>
                          • Benny Pedersen
                            Message 13 of 17 , Sep 3, 2009
                              On Thu 03 Sep 2009 04:40:51 AM CEST, Scott Haneda wrote
                              > How exactly does one get to that man page?

                              man man

                              man 5 postconf

                              --
                              xpoint