Re: cannot find your hostname

  • Ralf Hildebrandt
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 1, 2008
      * Ebbe Hjorth <info@...>:
      > Hi,
      >
      > My freebsd mailq command shows
      >
      > (host mail.newsmailservice.com[212.97.129.145] said: 450 Client host
      > rejected: cannot find your hostname, [86.58.167.132] (in reply to RCPT TO
      > command))
      >
      > But as far as i can see, i have reverse dns and a record setup correct,
      > which google shows me could be the problem.

      # host 86.58.167.132
      Host 132.167.58.86.in-addr.arpa. not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

      --
      Ralf Hildebrandt (Ralf.Hildebrandt@...) snickebo@...
      http://www.arschkrebs.de I'm looking for a job
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 1, 2008
        Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
        > * Ebbe Hjorth <info@...>:
        >> Hi,
        >>
        >> My freebsd mailq command shows
        >>
        >> (host mail.newsmailservice.com[212.97.129.145] said: 450 Client host
        >> rejected: cannot find your hostname, [86.58.167.132] (in reply to RCPT TO
        >> command))
        >>
        >> But as far as i can see, i have reverse dns and a record setup correct,
        >> which google shows me could be the problem.
        >
        > # host 86.58.167.132
        > Host 132.167.58.86.in-addr.arpa. not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

        same from here.

        OP should test his DNS using available _external_ tools.
      • Rod Dorman
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 1, 2008
          On Monday, September 1, 2008, 08:23:15, Ebbe Hjorth wrote:
          > But as far as i can see, i have reverse dns and a record setup correct,

          But did you arrange to have your DNS server be authoritative for your IP
          range?

          See http://www.ripe.net/reverse/ for details.

          --
          rodd@... "The avalanche has already started, it is too
          Rod Dorman late for the pebbles to vote." - Ambassador Kosh
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 2, 2009
            what exactly does "Cannot find your hostname" mean?

            NOQUEUE: reject_warning: RCPT from unknown[216.1.201.141]: 450 4.7.1
            Client host rejected: cannot find your hostname, [216.1.201.141];
            from=<Billfzitvm@...> to=<USER@...>
            proto=SMTP helo=<mx4.wellmissionstyle.com>

            ;; ANSWER SECTION:
            wellmissionstyle.com. 6402 IN A 216.1.201.164

            $ host 216.1.201.141
            141.201.1.216.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer unite13.ufot.com.

            the mailserver (I'm sure it's a spammer, but still) gives the "right"
            hostname based on the domains DNS, but it's still tagged as unknown.
            The rDNS is wrong, but does reject_unknown_hostname care about that?

            --
            Today the road all runners come/Shoulder high we bring you home.
            And set you at your threshold down/Townsman of a stiller
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 2, 2009
              On 2-Sep-2009, at 16:46, LuKreme wrote:
              > what exactly does "Cannot find your hostname" mean?

              Never mind. Found the answer a few seconds after hitting send.

              > $ host 216.1.201.141
              > 141.201.1.216.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer unite13.ufot.com.

              $ host unite13.ufot.com
              Host unite13.ufot.com not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

              --
              It was intended that when Newspeak had been adopted once and for
              all and Oldspeak forgotten, a heretical thought...should be
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 2, 2009
                On Wednesday 02 September 2009 17:46:38 LuKreme wrote:
                > what exactly does "Cannot find your hostname" mean?
                >
                > NOQUEUE: reject_warning: RCPT from unknown[216.1.201.141]: 450 4.7.1
                > Client host rejected: cannot find your hostname, [216.1.201.141];
                > from=<Billfzitvm@...> to=<USER@...>
                > proto=SMTP helo=<mx4.wellmissionstyle.com>
                >
                > ;; ANSWER SECTION:
                > wellmissionstyle.com. 6402 IN A 216.1.201.164
                >
                > $ host 216.1.201.141
                > 141.201.1.216.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer unite13.ufot.com.

                $ host 216.1.201.141
                Host 141.201.1.216.in-addr.arpa. not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

                ... is what I get.

                > the mailserver (I'm sure it's a spammer, but still) gives the
                > "right" hostname based on the domains DNS, but it's still tagged
                > as unknown. The rDNS is wrong, but does reject_unknown_hostname
                > care about that?

                You seem to be confusing several restrictions here.

                1. reject_unknown_hostname is the deprecated form, now known as
                reject_unknown_helo_hostname. It attempts to resolve the HELO
                hostname, rejects if that fails to resolve.

                2. reject_unknown_reverse_client_hostname rejects if there is no PTR
                for an IP address. It doesn't enforce FCrDNS[1]. If a PTR is found,
                that's good enough.

                3. reject_unknown_client_hostname rejects if the FCrDNS fails.

                In your case, it was probably #2 or #3 in warn_if_reject mode,
                because the logged message says, "Client host rejected: ..." A HELO
                restriction would say "HELO command rejected: ..."

                [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FCrDNS
              • Sahil Tandon
                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 2, 2009
                  On Wed, 02 Sep 2009, LuKreme wrote:

                  > what exactly does "Cannot find your hostname" mean?
                  >
                  > NOQUEUE: reject_warning: RCPT from unknown[216.1.201.141]: 450 4.7.1
                  > Client host rejected: cannot find your hostname, [216.1.201.141];
                  > from=<Billfzitvm@...> to=<USER@...> proto=SMTP
                  > helo=<mx4.wellmissionstyle.com>
                  >
                  > ;; ANSWER SECTION:
                  > wellmissionstyle.com. 6402 IN A 216.1.201.164
                  >
                  > $ host 216.1.201.141
                  > 141.201.1.216.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer unite13.ufot.com.
                  >
                  > the mailserver (I'm sure it's a spammer, but still) gives the "right"
                  > hostname based on the domains DNS, but it's still tagged as unknown. The
                  > rDNS is wrong, but does reject_unknown_hostname care about that?

                  As clearly documented in postconf(5), reject_unknown_hostname is a deprecated
                  reference to reject_unknown_helo_hostname, and thus unrelated to the client
                  hostname. The *client* host above is being rejected because of
                  reject_unknown_client_hostname, which rejects a request when "1) the client
                  IP address->name mapping fails, 2) the name->address mapping fails, or 3) the
                  name->address mapping does not match the client IP address."

                  In your follow-up, you already determined which one of these tests triggered
                  the rejection.

                  --
                  Sahil Tandon <sahil@...>
                • Scott Haneda
                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 2, 2009
                    On Sep 2, 2009, at 4:07 PM, Sahil Tandon wrote:

                    > As clearly documented in postconf(5),

                    How exactly does one get to that man page?
                    man postconf
                    That of course works.

                    man postconf(5)
                    -bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('
                    man postconf5
                    No manual entry for postconf5

                    Does this imply there are version 1, 2, 3, and 4 as well? How do I
                    find out?
                  • Terry Gilsenan
                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 2, 2009
                      On Sep 2, 2009, at 4:07 PM, Sahil Tandon wrote:

                      > As clearly documented in postconf(5),

                      How exactly does one get to that man page?
                      man postconf
                      That of course works.

                      man postconf(5)
                      -bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('
                      man postconf5
                      No manual entry for postconf5

                      like this..:

                      man 5 postconf

                      Does this imply there are version 1, 2, 3, and 4 as well? How do I
                      find out?
                    • Marcel Montes
                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 2, 2009
                        Scott Haneda さんは書きました:
                        > man postconf(5)
                        > -bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('
                        > man postconf5
                        > No manual entry for postconf5
                        >
                        > Does this imply there are version 1, 2, 3, and 4 as well? How do I
                        > find out?

                        The number specifies the section, not version.

                        $ man 5 postconf
                        $ whereis postconf
                        postconf: /usr/sbin/postconf /usr/share/man/man5/postconf.5.gz
                        /usr/share/man/man1/postconf.1.gz

                        So postconf has sections 1 and 5 available.
                      • LuKreme
                        Message 11 of 17 , Sep 2, 2009
                          On 2-Sep-2009, at 20:40, Scott Haneda wrote:
                          > On Sep 2, 2009, at 4:07 PM, Sahil Tandon wrote:
                          >
                          >> As clearly documented in postconf(5),
                          >
                          > How exactly does one get to that man page?

                          man 5 postconf

                          --
                          Did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts? Hot
                          ashes for trees? Hot air for a cool breeze? Cold comfort
                          Message 12 of 17 , Sep 2, 2009
                            On 2-Sep-2009, at 17:02, /dev/rob0 wrote:
                            > On Wednesday 02 September 2009 17:46:38 LuKreme wrote:
                            >> The rDNS is wrong, but does reject_unknown_hostname
                            >> care about that?
                            >
                            > You seem to be confusing several restrictions here.

                            Actually, I merely typoed. I do not have "reject_unknown_hostname"

                            smtpd_helo_restrictions = permit_mynetworks,
                            reject_invalid_helo_hostname,
                            reject_non_fqdn_helo_hostname,
                            permit

                            smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
                            reject_non_fqdn_sender,
                            reject_non_fqdn_recipient,
                            reject_unknown_sender_domain,
                            reject_invalid_hostname,
                            permit_mynetworks,
                            check_client_access hash:$config_directory/pbs,
                            permit_sasl_authenticated,
                            reject_unauth_destination,
                            reject_unlisted_recipient,
                            reject_unlisted_sender,
                            reject_unknown_reverse_client_hostname,
                            warn_if_reject reject_unknown_client_hostname,
                            [Checks go here]

                            > 2. reject_unknown_reverse_client_hostname rejects if there is no PTR
                            > for an IP address. It doesn't enforce FCrDNS[1]. If a PTR is found,
                            > that's good enough.
                            >
                            > 3. reject_unknown_client_hostname rejects if the FCrDNS fails.
                            >
                            > In your case, it was probably #2 or #3 in warn_if_reject mode,

                            Exactly right, as you can see from above.

                            > because the logged message says, "Client host rejected: ..." A HELO
                            > restriction would say "HELO command rejected: ..."

                            --
                            Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog,
                            it's too dark to read.
                            Message 13 of 17 , Sep 2, 2009
                              On Wed, 02 Sep 2009, Scott Haneda wrote:

                              > On Sep 2, 2009, at 4:07 PM, Sahil Tandon wrote:
                              >
                              >> As clearly documented in postconf(5),
                              >
                              > How exactly does one get to that man page?
                              > man postconf
                              > That of course works.

                              That "works" because, absent a section specification, man(1) will only
                              display the first manual page it finds in MANPATH.

                              > man postconf(5)
                              > -bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('
                              > man postconf5
                              > No manual entry for postconf5

                              The correct syntax is documented in the man(1) manpage. :-)

                              > Does this imply there are version 1, 2, 3, and 4 as well? How do I find
                              > out?

                              To see which manual sections contain a 'postconf' page:

                              % man -wa postconf
                              /usr/local/man/man1/postconf.1.gz
                              /usr/local/man/man5/postconf.5.gz

                              --
                              Sahil Tandon <sahil@...>
                            • Benny Pedersen
                              Message 14 of 17 , Sep 3, 2009
                                On Thu 03 Sep 2009 04:40:51 AM CEST, Scott Haneda wrote
                                > How exactly does one get to that man page?

                                man man

                                man 5 postconf

                                --
                                xpoint