cannot find your hostname

  • Ebbe Hjorth
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 1, 2008
      Hi,

      My freebsd mailq command shows

      (host mail.newsmailservice.com[212.97.129.145] said: 450 Client host
      rejected: cannot find your hostname, [86.58.167.132] (in reply to RCPT TO
      command))

      But as far as i can see, i have reverse dns and a record setup correct,
      which google shows me could be the problem.

      Please advice.

      Ebbe
    • Ralf Hildebrandt
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 1, 2008
        * Ebbe Hjorth <info@...>:
        > Hi,
        >
        > My freebsd mailq command shows
        >
        > (host mail.newsmailservice.com[212.97.129.145] said: 450 Client host
        > rejected: cannot find your hostname, [86.58.167.132] (in reply to RCPT TO
        > command))
        >
        > But as far as i can see, i have reverse dns and a record setup correct,
        > which google shows me could be the problem.

        # host 86.58.167.132
        Host 132.167.58.86.in-addr.arpa. not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

        --
        Ralf Hildebrandt (Ralf.Hildebrandt@...) snickebo@...
        http://www.arschkrebs.de I'm looking for a job
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 1, 2008
          Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
          > * Ebbe Hjorth <info@...>:
          >> Hi,
          >>
          >> My freebsd mailq command shows
          >>
          >> (host mail.newsmailservice.com[212.97.129.145] said: 450 Client host
          >> rejected: cannot find your hostname, [86.58.167.132] (in reply to RCPT TO
          >> command))
          >>
          >> But as far as i can see, i have reverse dns and a record setup correct,
          >> which google shows me could be the problem.
          >
          > # host 86.58.167.132
          > Host 132.167.58.86.in-addr.arpa. not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

          same from here.

          OP should test his DNS using available _external_ tools.
        • Rod Dorman
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 1, 2008
            On Monday, September 1, 2008, 08:23:15, Ebbe Hjorth wrote:
            > But as far as i can see, i have reverse dns and a record setup correct,

            But did you arrange to have your DNS server be authoritative for your IP
            range?

            See http://www.ripe.net/reverse/ for details.

            --
            rodd@... "The avalanche has already started, it is too
            Rod Dorman late for the pebbles to vote." - Ambassador Kosh
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 2, 2009
              what exactly does "Cannot find your hostname" mean?

              NOQUEUE: reject_warning: RCPT from unknown[216.1.201.141]: 450 4.7.1
              Client host rejected: cannot find your hostname, [216.1.201.141];
              from=<Billfzitvm@...> to=<USER@...>
              proto=SMTP helo=<mx4.wellmissionstyle.com>

              ;; ANSWER SECTION:
              wellmissionstyle.com. 6402 IN A 216.1.201.164

              $ host 216.1.201.141
              141.201.1.216.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer unite13.ufot.com.

              the mailserver (I'm sure it's a spammer, but still) gives the "right"
              hostname based on the domains DNS, but it's still tagged as unknown.
              The rDNS is wrong, but does reject_unknown_hostname care about that?

              --
              Today the road all runners come/Shoulder high we bring you home.
              And set you at your threshold down/Townsman of a stiller
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 2, 2009
                On 2-Sep-2009, at 16:46, LuKreme wrote:
                > what exactly does "Cannot find your hostname" mean?

                Never mind. Found the answer a few seconds after hitting send.

                > $ host 216.1.201.141
                > 141.201.1.216.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer unite13.ufot.com.

                $ host unite13.ufot.com
                Host unite13.ufot.com not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

                --
                It was intended that when Newspeak had been adopted once and for
                all and Oldspeak forgotten, a heretical thought...should be
                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 2, 2009
                  On Wednesday 02 September 2009 17:46:38 LuKreme wrote:
                  > what exactly does "Cannot find your hostname" mean?
                  >
                  > NOQUEUE: reject_warning: RCPT from unknown[216.1.201.141]: 450 4.7.1
                  > Client host rejected: cannot find your hostname, [216.1.201.141];
                  > from=<Billfzitvm@...> to=<USER@...>
                  > proto=SMTP helo=<mx4.wellmissionstyle.com>
                  >
                  > ;; ANSWER SECTION:
                  > wellmissionstyle.com. 6402 IN A 216.1.201.164
                  >
                  > $ host 216.1.201.141
                  > 141.201.1.216.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer unite13.ufot.com.

                  $ host 216.1.201.141
                  Host 141.201.1.216.in-addr.arpa. not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

                  ... is what I get.

                  > the mailserver (I'm sure it's a spammer, but still) gives the
                  > "right" hostname based on the domains DNS, but it's still tagged
                  > as unknown. The rDNS is wrong, but does reject_unknown_hostname
                  > care about that?

                  You seem to be confusing several restrictions here.

                  1. reject_unknown_hostname is the deprecated form, now known as
                  reject_unknown_helo_hostname. It attempts to resolve the HELO
                  hostname, rejects if that fails to resolve.

                  2. reject_unknown_reverse_client_hostname rejects if there is no PTR
                  for an IP address. It doesn't enforce FCrDNS[1]. If a PTR is found,
                  that's good enough.

                  3. reject_unknown_client_hostname rejects if the FCrDNS fails.

                  In your case, it was probably #2 or #3 in warn_if_reject mode,
                  because the logged message says, "Client host rejected: ..." A HELO
                  restriction would say "HELO command rejected: ..."

                  [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FCrDNS
                • Sahil Tandon
                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 2, 2009
                    On Wed, 02 Sep 2009, LuKreme wrote:

                    > what exactly does "Cannot find your hostname" mean?
                    >
                    > NOQUEUE: reject_warning: RCPT from unknown[216.1.201.141]: 450 4.7.1
                    > Client host rejected: cannot find your hostname, [216.1.201.141];
                    > from=<Billfzitvm@...> to=<USER@...> proto=SMTP
                    > helo=<mx4.wellmissionstyle.com>
                    >
                    > ;; ANSWER SECTION:
                    > wellmissionstyle.com. 6402 IN A 216.1.201.164
                    >
                    > $ host 216.1.201.141
                    > 141.201.1.216.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer unite13.ufot.com.
                    >
                    > the mailserver (I'm sure it's a spammer, but still) gives the "right"
                    > hostname based on the domains DNS, but it's still tagged as unknown. The
                    > rDNS is wrong, but does reject_unknown_hostname care about that?

                    As clearly documented in postconf(5), reject_unknown_hostname is a deprecated
                    reference to reject_unknown_helo_hostname, and thus unrelated to the client
                    hostname. The *client* host above is being rejected because of
                    reject_unknown_client_hostname, which rejects a request when "1) the client
                    IP address->name mapping fails, 2) the name->address mapping fails, or 3) the
                    name->address mapping does not match the client IP address."

                    In your follow-up, you already determined which one of these tests triggered
                    the rejection.

                    --
                    Sahil Tandon <sahil@...>
                  • Scott Haneda
                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 2, 2009
                      On Sep 2, 2009, at 4:07 PM, Sahil Tandon wrote:

                      > As clearly documented in postconf(5),

                      How exactly does one get to that man page?
                      man postconf
                      That of course works.

                      man postconf(5)
                      -bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('
                      man postconf5
                      No manual entry for postconf5

                      Does this imply there are version 1, 2, 3, and 4 as well? How do I
                      find out?
                    • Terry Gilsenan
                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 2, 2009
                        On Sep 2, 2009, at 4:07 PM, Sahil Tandon wrote:

                        > As clearly documented in postconf(5),

                        How exactly does one get to that man page?
                        man postconf
                        That of course works.

                        man postconf(5)
                        -bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('
                        man postconf5
                        No manual entry for postconf5

                        like this..:

                        man 5 postconf

                        Does this imply there are version 1, 2, 3, and 4 as well? How do I
                        find out?
                      • Marcel Montes
                        Message 11 of 17 , Sep 2, 2009
                          Scott Haneda さんは書きました:
                          > man postconf(5)
                          > -bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('
                          > man postconf5
                          > No manual entry for postconf5
                          >
                          > Does this imply there are version 1, 2, 3, and 4 as well? How do I
                          > find out?

                          The number specifies the section, not version.

                          $ man 5 postconf
                          $ whereis postconf
                          postconf: /usr/sbin/postconf /usr/share/man/man5/postconf.5.gz
                          /usr/share/man/man1/postconf.1.gz

                          So postconf has sections 1 and 5 available.
                        • LuKreme
                          Message 12 of 17 , Sep 2, 2009
                            On 2-Sep-2009, at 20:40, Scott Haneda wrote:
                            > On Sep 2, 2009, at 4:07 PM, Sahil Tandon wrote:
                            >
                            >> As clearly documented in postconf(5),
                            >
                            > How exactly does one get to that man page?

                            man 5 postconf

                            --
                            Did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts? Hot
                            ashes for trees? Hot air for a cool breeze? Cold comfort
                            Message 13 of 17 , Sep 2, 2009
                              On 2-Sep-2009, at 17:02, /dev/rob0 wrote:
                              > On Wednesday 02 September 2009 17:46:38 LuKreme wrote:
                              >> The rDNS is wrong, but does reject_unknown_hostname
                              >> care about that?
                              >
                              > You seem to be confusing several restrictions here.

                              Actually, I merely typoed. I do not have "reject_unknown_hostname"

                              smtpd_helo_restrictions = permit_mynetworks,
                              reject_invalid_helo_hostname,
                              reject_non_fqdn_helo_hostname,
                              permit

                              smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
                              reject_non_fqdn_sender,
                              reject_non_fqdn_recipient,
                              reject_unknown_sender_domain,
                              reject_invalid_hostname,
                              permit_mynetworks,
                              check_client_access hash:$config_directory/pbs,
                              permit_sasl_authenticated,
                              reject_unauth_destination,
                              reject_unlisted_recipient,
                              reject_unlisted_sender,
                              reject_unknown_reverse_client_hostname,
                              warn_if_reject reject_unknown_client_hostname,
                              [Checks go here]

                              > 2. reject_unknown_reverse_client_hostname rejects if there is no PTR
                              > for an IP address. It doesn't enforce FCrDNS[1]. If a PTR is found,
                              > that's good enough.
                              >
                              > 3. reject_unknown_client_hostname rejects if the FCrDNS fails.
                              >
                              > In your case, it was probably #2 or #3 in warn_if_reject mode,

                              Exactly right, as you can see from above.

                              > because the logged message says, "Client host rejected: ..." A HELO
                              > restriction would say "HELO command rejected: ..."

                              --
                              Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog,
                              it's too dark to read.
                              Message 14 of 17 , Sep 2, 2009
                                On Wed, 02 Sep 2009, Scott Haneda wrote:

                                > On Sep 2, 2009, at 4:07 PM, Sahil Tandon wrote:
                                >
                                >> As clearly documented in postconf(5),
                                >
                                > How exactly does one get to that man page?
                                > man postconf
                                > That of course works.

                                That "works" because, absent a section specification, man(1) will only
                                display the first manual page it finds in MANPATH.

                                > man postconf(5)
                                > -bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('
                                > man postconf5
                                > No manual entry for postconf5

                                The correct syntax is documented in the man(1) manpage. :-)

                                > Does this imply there are version 1, 2, 3, and 4 as well? How do I find
                                > out?

                                To see which manual sections contain a 'postconf' page:

                                % man -wa postconf
                                /usr/local/man/man1/postconf.1.gz
                                /usr/local/man/man5/postconf.5.gz

                                --
                                Sahil Tandon <sahil@...>
                              • Benny Pedersen
                                Message 15 of 17 , Sep 3, 2009
                                  On Thu 03 Sep 2009 04:40:51 AM CEST, Scott Haneda wrote
                                  > How exactly does one get to that man page?

                                  man man

                                  man 5 postconf

                                  --
                                  xpoint