Creating a dummy filter

  • Camron W. Fox
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 29, 2008
      Alle,

      We would like to filter all internal email so that it bypasses
      SpamAssassin. We have set up per_client_filters using:

      smtpd_client_restrictions =
      check_client_access cidr:/etc/postfix/per_client_filter

      == per_client_filter:
      0.0.0.0/0 FILTER spamassassin:
      10.0.0.0/8 FILTER dummy:

      The spamassasin filter works fine, but how do we create a dummy filter
      that just does a bypass of all the internal emails?

      Best Regards,
      Camron

      --
      Camron W. Fox
      Hilo Office
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 29, 2008
        Camron W. Fox wrote:
        > Alle,
        >
        > We would like to filter all internal email so that it bypasses
        > SpamAssassin. We have set up per_client_filters using:
        >
        > smtpd_client_restrictions =
        > check_client_access cidr:/etc/postfix/per_client_filter
        >
        > == per_client_filter:
        > 0.0.0.0/0 FILTER spamassassin:
        > 10.0.0.0/8 FILTER dummy:

        Note that order matters in a cidr: table. First match wins;
        everything matches 0.0.0.0/0. Put the catchall last, more
        specific entries earlier.
        http://www.postfix.org/cidr_table.5.html

        > The spamassasin filter works fine, but how do we create a dummy
        > filter that just does a bypass of all the internal emails?

        Why send them through a filter at all if you don't want them
        filtered? Use DUNNO as the table result.

        10.0.0.0/8 DUNNO
        0.0.0.0/0 FILTER...

        --
        Noel Jones
      • Camron W. Fox
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 29, 2008
          Noel Jones wrote:
          > Camron W. Fox wrote:
          >> Alle,
          >>
          >> We would like to filter all internal email so that it bypasses
          >> SpamAssassin. We have set up per_client_filters using:
          >>
          >> smtpd_client_restrictions =
          >> check_client_access cidr:/etc/postfix/per_client_filter
          >>
          >> == per_client_filter:
          >> 0.0.0.0/0 FILTER spamassassin:
          >> 10.0.0.0/8 FILTER dummy:
          >>

          > Note that order matters in a cidr: table. First match wins; everything
          > matches 0.0.0.0/0. Put the catchall last, more specific entries earlier.
          > http://www.postfix.org/cidr_table.5.html
          >
          >> The spamassasin filter works fine, but how do we create a dummy
          >> filter that just does a bypass of all the internal emails?
          >>

          > Why send them through a filter at all if you don't want them filtered?
          > Use DUNNO as the table result.
          >
          > 10.0.0.0/8 DUNNO
          > 0.0.0.0/0 FILTER...

          Noel,

          So this will accomplish what we want?

          10.0.0.0/0 DUNNO
          0.0.0.0/0 FILTER spamassassin:

          Best Regards,
          Camron
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 29, 2008
            Camron W. Fox wrote:
            > Noel Jones wrote:
            >> Camron W. Fox wrote:
            >>> Alle,
            >>>
            >>> We would like to filter all internal email so that it bypasses
            >>> SpamAssassin. We have set up per_client_filters using:
            >>>
            >>> smtpd_client_restrictions =
            >>> check_client_access cidr:/etc/postfix/per_client_filter
            >>>
            >>> == per_client_filter:
            >>> 0.0.0.0/0 FILTER spamassassin:
            >>> 10.0.0.0/8 FILTER dummy:
            >>>

            >> Note that order matters in a cidr: table. First match wins;
            >> everything matches 0.0.0.0/0. Put the catchall last, more specific
            >> entries earlier.
            >> http://www.postfix.org/cidr_table.5.html
            >>
            >>> The spamassasin filter works fine, but how do we create a dummy
            >>> filter that just does a bypass of all the internal emails?
            >>>

            >> Why send them through a filter at all if you don't want them
            >> filtered? Use DUNNO as the table result.
            >>
            >> 10.0.0.0/8 DUNNO
            >> 0.0.0.0/0 FILTER...
            >>
            > Noel,
            >
            > So this will accomplish what we want?
            >
            > 10.0.0.0/0 DUNNO
            > 0.0.0.0/0 FILTER spamassassin:

            yes.
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 29, 2008
              Camron W. Fox wrote:
              > Noel Jones wrote:
              >> Camron W. Fox wrote:
              >>> Alle,
              >>>
              >>> We would like to filter all internal email so that it bypasses
              >>> SpamAssassin. We have set up per_client_filters using:
              >>>
              >>> smtpd_client_restrictions =
              >>> check_client_access cidr:/etc/postfix/per_client_filter
              >>>
              >>> == per_client_filter:
              >>> 0.0.0.0/0 FILTER spamassassin:
              >>> 10.0.0.0/8 FILTER dummy:
              >>>

              >> Note that order matters in a cidr: table. First match wins;
              >> everything matches 0.0.0.0/0. Put the catchall last, more specific
              >> entries earlier.
              >> http://www.postfix.org/cidr_table.5.html
              >>
              >>> The spamassasin filter works fine, but how do we create a dummy
              >>> filter that just does a bypass of all the internal emails?
              >>>

              >> Why send them through a filter at all if you don't want them
              >> filtered? Use DUNNO as the table result.
              >>
              >> 10.0.0.0/8 DUNNO
              >> 0.0.0.0/0 FILTER...
              >>
              > Noel,
              >
              > So this will accomplish what we want?
              >
              > 10.0.0.0/0 DUNNO
              > 0.0.0.0/0 FILTER spamassassin:
              >
              > Best Regards,
              > Camron

              Well, it should do what you've described. I hope it does what
              you want...

              Enjoy the holiday.

              --
              Noel Jones
            • Stefan Palme
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 30, 2008
                On Fri, 2008-08-29 at 09:39 -1000, Camron W. Fox wrote:
                > Noel Jones wrote:
                > > Camron W. Fox wrote:
                > >> Alle,
                > >>
                > >> We would like to filter all internal email so that it bypasses
                > >> SpamAssassin. We have set up per_client_filters using:
                > >>
                > >> smtpd_client_restrictions =
                > >> check_client_access cidr:/etc/postfix/per_client_filter
                > >>
                > >> == per_client_filter:
                > >> 0.0.0.0/0 FILTER spamassassin:
                > >> 10.0.0.0/8 FILTER dummy:
                > >>

                > > Note that order matters in a cidr: table. First match wins; everything
                > > matches 0.0.0.0/0. Put the catchall last, more specific entries earlier.
                > > http://www.postfix.org/cidr_table.5.html
                > >
                > >> The spamassasin filter works fine, but how do we create a dummy
                > >> filter that just does a bypass of all the internal emails?
                > >>

                > > Why send them through a filter at all if you don't want them filtered?
                > > Use DUNNO as the table result.
                > >
                > > 10.0.0.0/8 DUNNO
                > > 0.0.0.0/0 FILTER...
                > >
                > Noel,
                >
                > So this will accomplish what we want?
                >
                > 10.0.0.0/0 DUNNO
                > 0.0.0.0/0 FILTER spamassassin:

                Maybe not exactly. We have a similar setup. The problem here is,
                that mails handed out to spamassassin (in our case its amavisd-new)
                is reinjected by amavisd-new to postfix via localhost:10025. All
                mails bypassing amavisd-new must be "manually" reinjected to port
                10025 to accomplish address rewriting etc. (all the stuff that is
                done AFTER content filtering).

                So your setup would look like this:

                10.0.0.0/0 FILTER smtp:[127.0.0.1]:10025
                0.0.0.0/0 FILTER spamassassin:

                Regards
                -stefan-
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 30, 2008
                  Stefan Palme wrote:
                  > On Fri, 2008-08-29 at 09:39 -1000, Camron W. Fox wrote:
                  >> Noel Jones wrote:

                  >>> Note that order matters in a cidr: table. First match wins; everything
                  >>> matches 0.0.0.0/0. Put the catchall last, more specific entries earlier.
                  >>> http://www.postfix.org/cidr_table.5.html

                  >>> Why send them through a filter at all if you don't want them filtered?
                  >>> Use DUNNO as the table result.
                  >>>
                  >>> 10.0.0.0/8 DUNNO
                  >>> 0.0.0.0/0 FILTER...
                  >>>
                  >> Noel,
                  >>
                  >> So this will accomplish what we want?
                  >>
                  >> 10.0.0.0/0 DUNNO
                  >> 0.0.0.0/0 FILTER spamassassin:
                  >

                  > Maybe not exactly. We have a similar setup. The problem here is,
                  > that mails handed out to spamassassin (in our case its amavisd-new)
                  > is reinjected by amavisd-new to postfix via localhost:10025. All
                  > mails bypassing amavisd-new must be "manually" reinjected to port
                  > 10025 to accomplish address rewriting etc. (all the stuff that is
                  > done AFTER content filtering).

                  my guess is that he reinjects mail with the sendmail command, which is
                  unfiltered (-o content_filter= under the pickup service). If so, DUNNO
                  is what he wants.

                  > So your setup would look like this:
                  >
                  > 10.0.0.0/0 FILTER smtp:[127.0.0.1]:10025

                  Note that this is also needed if rewrite is disabled before the filter.

                  > 0.0.0.0/0 FILTER spamassassin:

                  I wouldn't call this "spamassassin". for one, amavisd-new has other
                  functionalities. and it may be confused for a script that runs SA (spamc
                  or whatever) when talking with other people (such as when talking here).
                • Camron W. Fox
                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 1, 2008
                    Stefan Palme wrote:
                    > On Fri, 2008-08-29 at 09:39 -1000, Camron W. Fox wrote:
                    >> Noel Jones wrote:

                    >>> Note that order matters in a cidr: table. First match wins; everything
                    >>> matches 0.0.0.0/0. Put the catchall last, more specific entries earlier.
                    >>> http://www.postfix.org/cidr_table.5.html

                    >>> Why send them through a filter at all if you don't want them filtered?
                    >>> Use DUNNO as the table result.
                    >>>
                    >>> 10.0.0.0/8 DUNNO
                    >>> 0.0.0.0/0 FILTER...
                    >>>
                    >> Noel,
                    >>
                    >> So this will accomplish what we want?
                    >>
                    >> 10.0.0.0/0 DUNNO
                    >> 0.0.0.0/0 FILTER spamassassin:
                    >

                    > Maybe not exactly. We have a similar setup. The problem here is,
                    > that mails handed out to spamassassin (in our case its amavisd-new)
                    > is reinjected by amavisd-new to postfix via localhost:10025. All
                    > mails bypassing amavisd-new must be "manually" reinjected to port
                    > 10025 to accomplish address rewriting etc. (all the stuff that is
                    > done AFTER content filtering).
                    >
                    > So your setup would look like this:
                    >
                    > 10.0.0.0/0 FILTER smtp:[127.0.0.1]:10025
                    > 0.0.0.0/0 FILTER spamassassin:
                    >
                    > Regards
                    > -stefan-

                    Stefan,

                    Except we aren't using amavis and spamassassin processes traffic on our
                    DMZ. Virus scanning is done on the interior mail servers with
                    amavisd-new and ClamAV:

                    root@rb4:/etc/postfix [1002/2]# grep spamassassin master.cf
                    smtp inet n - n - - smtpd -o
                    content_filter=spamassassin
                    spamassassin
                    unix - n n - - pipe
                    user=nobody argv=/usr/bin/spamc -e /usr/lib/sendmail -oi -f
                    ${sender} ${recipient}

                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 1, 2008
                      Camron W. Fox wrote:
                      > Stefan Palme wrote:

                      >>> Noel,
                      >>>
                      >>> So this will accomplish what we want?
                      >>>
                      >>> 10.0.0.0/0 DUNNO
                      >>> 0.0.0.0/0 FILTER spamassassin:
                      >>

                      >> Maybe not exactly. We have a similar setup. The problem here is,
                      >> that mails handed out to spamassassin (in our case its amavisd-new)
                      >> is reinjected by amavisd-new to postfix via localhost:10025. All
                      >> mails bypassing amavisd-new must be "manually" reinjected to port
                      >> 10025 to accomplish address rewriting etc. (all the stuff that is
                      >> done AFTER content filtering).
                      >>
                      >> So your setup would look like this:
                      >>
                      >> 10.0.0.0/0 FILTER smtp:[127.0.0.1]:10025
                      >> 0.0.0.0/0 FILTER spamassassin:
                      >>
                      >> Regards
                      >> -stefan-
                      >>

                      > Stefan,
                      >
                      > Except we aren't using amavis and spamassassin processes traffic on
                      > our DMZ. Virus scanning is done on the interior mail servers with
                      > amavisd-new and ClamAV:
                      >
                      > root@rb4:/etc/postfix [1002/2]# grep spamassassin master.cf
                      > smtp inet n - n - - smtpd -o
                      > content_filter=spamassassin
                      > spamassassin
                      > unix - n n - - pipe
                      > user=nobody argv=/usr/bin/spamc -e /usr/lib/sendmail -oi -f ${sender}
                      > ${recipient}
                      >
                      > Best Regards,
                      > Camron
                      >
                      > Camron W. Fox
                      > Hilo Office
                      > High Performance Computing Group
                      > Fujitsu America, INC.
                      > E-mail: cwfox@...

                      The DUNNO solution described earlier will work for any setup
                      that doesn't use "content_filter = something" in main.cf or
                      the receiving smtpd listener.

                      So it should work fine for you.

                      --
                      Noel Jones
                    • Camron W. Fox
                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 26, 2008
                        Noel Jones wrote:
                        > Camron W. Fox wrote:
                        >> Stefan Palme wrote:

                        >>> Maybe not exactly. We have a similar setup. The problem here is,
                        >>> that mails handed out to spamassassin (in our case its amavisd-new)
                        >>> is reinjected by amavisd-new to postfix via localhost:10025. All
                        >>> mails bypassing amavisd-new must be "manually" reinjected to port
                        >>> 10025 to accomplish address rewriting etc. (all the stuff that is
                        >>> done AFTER content filtering).
                        >>>
                        >>> So your setup would look like this:
                        >>>
                        >>> 10.0.0.0/0 FILTER smtp:[127.0.0.1]:10025
                        >>> 0.0.0.0/0 FILTER spamassassin:
                        >>>
                        >>> Regards
                        >>> -stefan-
                        >>>

                        >> Stefan,
                        >>
                        >> Except we aren't using amavis and spamassassin processes traffic
                        >> on our DMZ. Virus scanning is done on the interior mail servers with
                        >> amavisd-new and ClamAV:
                        >>
                        >> root@rb4:/etc/postfix [1002/2]# grep spamassassin master.cf
                        >> smtp inet n - n - - smtpd -o
                        >> content_filter=spamassassin
                        >> spamassassin
                        >> unix - n n - - pipe
                        >> user=nobody argv=/usr/bin/spamc -e /usr/lib/sendmail -oi -f
                        >> ${sender} ${recipient}
                        >>
                        >> Best Regards,
                        >> Camron
                        >>
                        >> Camron W. Fox
                        >> Hilo Office
                        >> High Performance Computing Group
                        >> Fujitsu America, INC.
                        >> E-mail: cwfox@...
                        >>

                        > The DUNNO solution described earlier will work for any setup that
                        > doesn't use "content_filter = something" in main.cf or the receiving
                        > smtpd listener.
                        >
                        > So it should work fine for you.

                        Alle,

                        I tested this and it seemed to work with no problems. When I
                        implemented it on the production servers, I started to see these messages:

                        access table cidr:/etc/postfix/per_client_filter entry "10.1.2.3"
                        requires transport:destination

                        I cannot tell if this mail is being bounced or not. Any help would be
                        appreciated.

                        Best Regards,
                        Camron

                        --
                        Camron W. Fox
                        Hilo Office
                        High Performance Computing Group
                        Fujitsu America, INC.
                        E-mail: cwfox@...
                      • Sahil Tandon
                        Message 11 of 17 , Sep 26, 2008
                          Camron W. Fox <cwfox@...> wrote:

                          > access table cidr:/etc/postfix/per_client_filter entry "10.1.2.3" requires
                          > transport:destination

                          Typo in your per_client_filter CIDR? Show us.

                          --
                          Sahil Tandon <sahil@...>
                        • Camron W. Fox
                          Message 12 of 17 , Sep 26, 2008
                            Sahil Tandon wrote:
                            > Camron W. Fox <cwfox@...> wrote:
                            >
                            >> access table cidr:/etc/postfix/per_client_filter entry "10.1.2.3" requires
                            >> transport:destination
                            >
                            > Typo in your per_client_filter CIDR? Show us.

                            Sorry, it was shown in the inline above:

                            133.40.0.0/16 FILTER DUNNO
                            0.0.0.0/0 FILTER spamassassin:

                            Best Regards,
                            Camron
                          • Sahil Tandon
                            Message 13 of 17 , Sep 26, 2008
                              Camron W. Fox <cwfox@...> wrote:

                              > Sahil Tandon wrote:
                              >> Camron W. Fox <cwfox@...> wrote:
                              >>
                              >>> access table cidr:/etc/postfix/per_client_filter entry "10.1.2.3"
                              >>> requires transport:destination
                              >>
                              >> Typo in your per_client_filter CIDR? Show us.
                              >>
                              > Sorry, it was shown in the inline above:
                              >
                              > 133.40.0.0/16 FILTER DUNNO

                              DUNNO is not a filter; that's why Postfix is complaining. See
                              access(5):

                              http://www.postfix.org/access.5.html

                              --
                              Sahil Tandon <sahil@...>
                            • Camron W. Fox
                              Message 14 of 17 , Sep 26, 2008
                                Sahil Tandon wrote:
                                > Camron W. Fox <cwfox@...> wrote:
                                >
                                >> Sahil Tandon wrote:

                                >>> Typo in your per_client_filter CIDR? Show us.
                                >>>
                                >> Sorry, it was shown in the inline above:
                                >>
                                >> 133.40.0.0/16 FILTER DUNNO
                                >
                                > DUNNO is not a filter; that's why Postfix is complaining. See
                                > access(5):
                                >
                                > http://www.postfix.org/access.5.html

                                So it should be this:

                                133.40.0.0/16 DUNNO
                                0.0.0.0/0 FILTER spamassassin:

                                Best Regards,
                                Camron

                                Message 15 of 17 , Sep 26, 2008
                                  Camron W. Fox <cwfox@...> wrote:

                                  >>> Sorry, it was shown in the inline above:
                                  >>>
                                  >>> 133.40.0.0/16 FILTER DUNNO
                                  >>
                                  >> DUNNO is not a filter; that's why Postfix is complaining. See
                                  >> access(5):
                                  >>
                                  >> http://www.postfix.org/access.5.html
                                  >>
                                  > So it should be this:
                                  >
                                  > 133.40.0.0/16 DUNNO
                                  > 0.0.0.0/0 FILTER spamassassin:

                                  Yes.

                                  --
                                  Sahil Tandon <sahil@...>
                                • Camron W. Fox
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Sep 26, 2008
                                    Sahil Tandon wrote:

                                    >>> DUNNO is not a filter; that's why Postfix is complaining. See
                                    >>> access(5):
                                    >>>
                                    >>> http://www.postfix.org/access.5.html
                                    >>>
                                    >> So it should be this:
                                    >>
                                    >> 133.40.0.0/16 DUNNO
                                    >> 0.0.0.0/0 FILTER spamassassin:
                                    >
                                    > Yes.

                                    So,

                                    What happened to the mail that met the "FILTER DUNNO" criteria of the
                                    incorrect config?

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Sep 26, 2008
                                      Camron W. Fox <cwfox@...> wrote:

                                      > What happened to the mail that met the "FILTER DUNNO" criteria of the
                                      > incorrect config?

                                      Your logs will tell you. You could also see if it's lurking in the
                                      mailq.

                                      --
                                      Sahil Tandon <sahil@...>