Re: Auto Reply - user account disabled

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2008
      jeff donovan:
      > Greetings
      >
      > How would I send an auto reply message that a users account has been
      > disabled?
      >
      > example.
      > incoming message for ' oldusername@... '
      > bounce
      > send message " I'm sorry that username is no longer valid "

      You get this for free, by removing the account from the system.

      > or
      >
      > send message " oldusername has a new address "

      See: http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#relocated_maps

      Wietse

      > insights and flames welcome
      >
      > -jeff

    • jeff donovan
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2008
        On Jul 1, 2008, at 9:42 AM, Wietse Venema wrote:

        > jeff donovan:
        >> Greetings
        >>
        >> How would I send an auto reply message that a users account has been
        >> disabled?
        >>
        >> example.
        >> incoming message for ' oldusername@... '
        >> bounce
        >> send message " I'm sorry that username is no longer valid "
        >
        > You get this for free, by removing the account from the system.

        yes, thats what i told my people it's called a bounce. however they
        would like me to create a nice message to send to the people.

        >> or
        >>
        >> send message " oldusername has a new address "
        >
        > See: http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#relocated_maps

        thanks.

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 1, 2008
          jeff donovan:

          > On Jul 1, 2008, at 9:42 AM, Wietse Venema wrote:
          >
          > > jeff donovan:
          > >> Greetings
          > >>
          > >> How would I send an auto reply message that a users account has been
          > >> disabled?
          > >>
          > >> example.
          > >> incoming message for ' oldusername@... '
          > >> bounce
          > >> send message " I'm sorry that username is no longer valid "
          > >
          > > You get this for free, by removing the account from the system.
          >
          > yes, thats what i told my people it's called a bounce. however they
          > would like me to create a nice message to send to the people.

          Unfortunately, having your server send email would be a bad idea.

          On today's internet your server would be harassing people about
          email that they did not send, and if your server sends out enough
          of such email, your server might even become blacklisted.

          So the safe solution is to remove the account and let the remote
          machine inform the sender.

          For the users that no longer exist, you could set up an access
          table with rules like this:

          /etc/postfix/main.cf:
          smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
          permit_mynetworks
          permit_sasl_authenticated
          reject_unauth_destination
          check_recipient_access hash:/etc/postfix/deactivated
          ...anti-spam measures here...

          /etc/postfix/deactivated:
          user@... 554 5.1.1 This account is no longer active

          Wietse

          > >> or
          > >>
          > >> send message " oldusername has a new address "
          > >
          > > See: http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#relocated_maps
          >
          > thanks.
          > >
          > > Wietse
          > >
          > >> insights and flames welcome
          > >>
          > >> -jeff

        • Charles Marcus
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 1, 2008
            On 7/1/2008, Wietse Venema (wietse@...) wrote:
            >> How would I send an auto reply message that a users account has been
            >> disabled?
            >>
            >> example.
            >> incoming message for ' oldusername@... '
            >> bounce
            >> send message " I'm sorry that username is no longer valid "

            > You get this for free, by removing the account from the system.

            Alternatively (since I recently asked the same question), if you want a
            more custom reject message than 'user unknown' (or relocated maps
            provides), you can use a check_recipient_access map in your
            smtpd_recipient_restrictions...

            smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
            check_recipient_access hash:/etc/postfix/x-employees,

            x-employees contains entries like (one entry per line):

            # X-employees we no longer accept mail for
            user1@... REJECT I'm sorry but Name is no longer with CompanyName.
            user2@... REJECT I'm sorry but Name is no longer with CompanyName.

            Don't forget to postmap the x-employees file...

            --

            Best regards,

            Charles