Auto Reply - user account disabled

  • jeff donovan
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2008
      Greetings

      How would I send an auto reply message that a users account has been
      disabled?

      example.
      incoming message for ' oldusername@... '
      bounce
      send message " I'm sorry that username is no longer valid "

      or

      send message " oldusername has a new address "

      insights and flames welcome

      -jeff
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2008
        jeff donovan:
        > Greetings
        >
        > How would I send an auto reply message that a users account has been
        > disabled?
        >
        > example.
        > incoming message for ' oldusername@... '
        > bounce
        > send message " I'm sorry that username is no longer valid "

        You get this for free, by removing the account from the system.

        > or
        >
        > send message " oldusername has a new address "

        See: http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#relocated_maps

        Wietse

        > insights and flames welcome
        >
        > -jeff

      • jeff donovan
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 1, 2008
          On Jul 1, 2008, at 9:42 AM, Wietse Venema wrote:

          > jeff donovan:
          >> Greetings
          >>
          >> How would I send an auto reply message that a users account has been
          >> disabled?
          >>
          >> example.
          >> incoming message for ' oldusername@... '
          >> bounce
          >> send message " I'm sorry that username is no longer valid "
          >
          > You get this for free, by removing the account from the system.

          yes, thats what i told my people it's called a bounce. however they
          would like me to create a nice message to send to the people.

          >> or
          >>
          >> send message " oldusername has a new address "
          >
          > See: http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#relocated_maps

          thanks.

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 1, 2008
            jeff donovan:

            > On Jul 1, 2008, at 9:42 AM, Wietse Venema wrote:
            >
            > > jeff donovan:
            > >> Greetings
            > >>
            > >> How would I send an auto reply message that a users account has been
            > >> disabled?
            > >>
            > >> example.
            > >> incoming message for ' oldusername@... '
            > >> bounce
            > >> send message " I'm sorry that username is no longer valid "
            > >
            > > You get this for free, by removing the account from the system.
            >
            > yes, thats what i told my people it's called a bounce. however they
            > would like me to create a nice message to send to the people.

            Unfortunately, having your server send email would be a bad idea.

            On today's internet your server would be harassing people about
            email that they did not send, and if your server sends out enough
            of such email, your server might even become blacklisted.

            So the safe solution is to remove the account and let the remote
            machine inform the sender.

            For the users that no longer exist, you could set up an access
            table with rules like this:

            /etc/postfix/main.cf:
            smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
            permit_mynetworks
            permit_sasl_authenticated
            reject_unauth_destination
            check_recipient_access hash:/etc/postfix/deactivated
            ...anti-spam measures here...

            /etc/postfix/deactivated:
            user@... 554 5.1.1 This account is no longer active

            Wietse

            > >> or
            > >>
            > >> send message " oldusername has a new address "
            > >
            > > See: http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#relocated_maps
            >
            > thanks.
            > >
            > > Wietse
            > >
            > >> insights and flames welcome
            > >>
            > >> -jeff

          • Charles Marcus
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 1, 2008
              On 7/1/2008, Wietse Venema (wietse@...) wrote:
              >> How would I send an auto reply message that a users account has been
              >> disabled?
              >>
              >> example.
              >> incoming message for ' oldusername@... '
              >> bounce
              >> send message " I'm sorry that username is no longer valid "

              > You get this for free, by removing the account from the system.

              Alternatively (since I recently asked the same question), if you want a
              more custom reject message than 'user unknown' (or relocated maps
              provides), you can use a check_recipient_access map in your
              smtpd_recipient_restrictions...

              smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
              check_recipient_access hash:/etc/postfix/x-employees,

              x-employees contains entries like (one entry per line):

              # X-employees we no longer accept mail for
              user1@... REJECT I'm sorry but Name is no longer with CompanyName.
              user2@... REJECT I'm sorry but Name is no longer with CompanyName.

              Don't forget to postmap the x-employees file...

              --

              Best regards,

              Charles