Re: Re[2]: qmgr ignoring syslog_facility?

    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 2, 2008
      Dietmar Braun:
      > Monday, June 2, 2008, 3:39:09 PM, you wrote:
      > > Changes to main.cf are not picked up automatically as qmgr(8) is a per-
      > > sistent process. Use the "postfix reload" command after a configuration
      > > change.
      >
      > Hm, of course I reloaded the configuration after changing to local1...

      Before the fix below, changing the name/level required "postfix stop"
      and "postfix start" for daemon processes.

      20070223

      Cleanup: syslog_name now works as documented with both
      daemons and commands (including set-gid commands). Files:
      global/mail_task.c postlog/postlog.c, global/mail_version.h,
      sendmail/sendmail.c, postsuper/postsuper.c, postalias/postalias.c,
      postmap/postmap.c, postqueue/postqueue.c, postdrop/postdrop.c,
      master/trigger_server.c, master/single_server.c,
      master/multi_server.c.

      Wietse
    • Dietmar Braun
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 2, 2008
        Monday, June 2, 2008, 3:54:23 PM, you wrote:
        > Before the fix below, changing the name/level required "postfix stop"
        > and "postfix start" for daemon processes.

        > 20070223

        > Cleanup: syslog_name now works as documented with both
        > daemons and commands (including set-gid commands). Files:
        > global/mail_task.c postlog/postlog.c, global/mail_version.h,
        > sendmail/sendmail.c, postsuper/postsuper.c, postalias/postalias.c,
        > postmap/postmap.c, postqueue/postqueue.c, postdrop/postdrop.c,
        > master/trigger_server.c, master/single_server.c,
        > master/multi_server.c.

        arath:/var/log/mail# postconf | grep mail_version
        mail_version = 2.5.2

        Hm, I suppose my quite "fresh" postfix should have that? ;)

        Regards,
        Dietmar

        --
        NetCologne Gesellschaft fuer Telekommunikation mbH
        Am Coloneum 9, 50829 Koeln
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 2, 2008
          On Mon, Jun 02, 2008 at 09:54:23AM -0400, Wietse Venema wrote:

          > Dietmar Braun:
          > > Monday, June 2, 2008, 3:39:09 PM, you wrote:
          > > > Changes to main.cf are not picked up automatically as qmgr(8) is a per-
          > > > sistent process. Use the "postfix reload" command after a configuration
          > > > change.
          > >
          > > Hm, of course I reloaded the configuration after changing to local1...
          >
          > Before the fix below, changing the name/level required "postfix stop"
          > and "postfix start" for daemon processes.
          >
          > 20070223
          >
          > Cleanup: syslog_name now works as documented with both
          > daemons and commands (including set-gid commands). Files:
          > global/mail_task.c postlog/postlog.c, global/mail_version.h,
          > sendmail/sendmail.c, postsuper/postsuper.c, postalias/postalias.c,
          > postmap/postmap.c, postqueue/postqueue.c, postdrop/postdrop.c,
          > master/trigger_server.c, master/single_server.c,
          > master/multi_server.c.

          I thought this applied to syslog_name, but that syslog_facility is not passed
          from the master(8) environment, and so could be set per-service or read from
          main.cf on reload even before this change...

          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 2, 2008
            On Mon, Jun 02, 2008 at 03:57:52PM +0200, Dietmar Braun wrote:

            > Monday, June 2, 2008, 3:54:23 PM, you wrote:
            > > Before the fix below, changing the name/level required "postfix stop"
            > > and "postfix start" for daemon processes.
            >
            > > 20070223
            >
            > > Cleanup: syslog_name now works as documented with both
            > > daemons and commands (including set-gid commands). Files:
            > > global/mail_task.c postlog/postlog.c, global/mail_version.h,
            > > sendmail/sendmail.c, postsuper/postsuper.c, postalias/postalias.c,
            > > postmap/postmap.c, postqueue/postqueue.c, postdrop/postdrop.c,
            > > master/trigger_server.c, master/single_server.c,
            > > master/multi_server.c.
            >
            > arath:/var/log/mail# postconf | grep mail_version
            > mail_version = 2.5.2
            >
            > Hm, I suppose my quite "fresh" postfix should have that? ;)

            You are doing something wrong, and reporting rather sketchy information.

          • Dietmar Braun
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 2, 2008
              Monday, June 2, 2008, 4:01:24 PM, you wrote:
              > You are doing something wrong, and reporting rather sketchy information.

              What for information are you missing?

              To recapitulate my given information:
              Running Postfix 2.5.2 (ok, on Debian Linux) with syslog_facility set
              to "local1", I notice that still some (incomplete) postfix mail logs
              go to /var/log/mail/postfix. With grep mail /etc/syslog.conf, I wanted
              to show you that the only facility which is written to that file, is
              "mail".

              Regarding the "sketchy" mail log output: Yes, thats all in that log
              for today, and that look both incomplete and not correct to me.

              postconf -n:

              alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
              command_directory = /usr/sbin
              config_directory = /etc/postfix
              daemon_directory = /usr/libexec/postfix
              data_directory = /var/lib/postfix
              debug_peer_level = 2
              home_mailbox = Mailbox
              html_directory = no
              mail_owner = postfix
              mailq_path = /usr/bin/mailq
              manpage_directory = /usr/local/man
              mydomain = netcologne.de
              myhostname = arath.netcologne.de
              mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8
              newaliases_path = /usr/bin/newaliases
              queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix
              readme_directory = no
              sample_directory = /etc/postfix
              sendmail_path = /usr/sbin/sendmail
              setgid_group = postdrop
              unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550

              Regards,
              Dietmar

              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 2, 2008
                Dietmar Braun:
                > Monday, June 2, 2008, 3:54:23 PM, you wrote:
                > > Before the fix below, changing the name/level required "postfix stop"
                > > and "postfix start" for daemon processes.
                >
                > > 20070223
                >
                > > Cleanup: syslog_name now works as documented with both
                > > daemons and commands (including set-gid commands). Files:
                > > global/mail_task.c postlog/postlog.c, global/mail_version.h,
                > > sendmail/sendmail.c, postsuper/postsuper.c, postalias/postalias.c,
                > > postmap/postmap.c, postqueue/postqueue.c, postdrop/postdrop.c,
                > > master/trigger_server.c, master/single_server.c,
                > > master/multi_server.c.
                >
                > arath:/var/log/mail# postconf | grep mail_version
                > mail_version = 2.5.2
                >
                > Hm, I suppose my quite "fresh" postfix should have that? ;)

                Apparently, that fixes changes in syslog_name, but not changes in
                syslog_facility. I'll put that on the TODO list.

                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 2, 2008
                  Wietse Venema:
                  > Dietmar Braun:
                  > > Monday, June 2, 2008, 3:54:23 PM, you wrote:
                  > > > Before the fix below, changing the name/level required "postfix stop"
                  > > > and "postfix start" for daemon processes.
                  > >
                  > > > 20070223
                  > >
                  > > > Cleanup: syslog_name now works as documented with both
                  > > > daemons and commands (including set-gid commands). Files:
                  > > > global/mail_task.c postlog/postlog.c, global/mail_version.h,
                  > > > sendmail/sendmail.c, postsuper/postsuper.c, postalias/postalias.c,
                  > > > postmap/postmap.c, postqueue/postqueue.c, postdrop/postdrop.c,
                  > > > master/trigger_server.c, master/single_server.c,
                  > > > master/multi_server.c.
                  > >
                  > > arath:/var/log/mail# postconf | grep mail_version
                  > > mail_version = 2.5.2
                  > >
                  > > Hm, I suppose my quite "fresh" postfix should have that? ;)
                  >
                  > Apparently, that fixes changes in syslog_name, but not changes in
                  > syslog_facility. I'll put that on the TODO list.

                  All msg_syslog_init() calls have fixed parameters, so it seems that
                  the syslog_facility parameter implementation was not completed
                  after the main.cf parameter was defined.

                  Fixed in the next release...

                  Message 8 of 20 , Jun 2, 2008
                    On Mon, Jun 02, 2008 at 10:09:04AM -0400, Wietse Venema wrote:

                    > > > 20070223
                    > >
                    > > > Cleanup: syslog_name now works as documented with both
                    > > > daemons and commands (including set-gid commands). Files:
                    > > > global/mail_task.c postlog/postlog.c, global/mail_version.h,
                    > > > sendmail/sendmail.c, postsuper/postsuper.c, postalias/postalias.c,
                    > > > postmap/postmap.c, postqueue/postqueue.c, postdrop/postdrop.c,
                    > > > master/trigger_server.c, master/single_server.c,
                    > > > master/multi_server.c.
                    > >
                    > > arath:/var/log/mail# postconf | grep mail_version
                    > > mail_version = 2.5.2
                    > >
                    > > Hm, I suppose my quite "fresh" postfix should have that? ;)
                    >
                    > Apparently, that fixes changes in syslog_name, but not changes in
                    > syslog_facility. I'll put that on the TODO list.

                    The OP however, is not AFAIK changing syslog_facility via "-o
                    syslog_facility=mumble" overrides in master.cf.

                    The call to msg_syslog_facility() happens in mail_params_init(). So it
                    is possible that any errors encountered prior to reading main.cf would
                    be reported to the default facility ("mail"). To solve this, master
                    would also have to pass the log_facility name via the environment,
                    so that daemons could grab it before loading main.cf.

                    What messages is the OP seeing reported to the default location?

                  • Dietmar Braun
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jun 2, 2008
                      Monday, June 2, 2008, 4:24:04 PM, you wrote:
                      > What messages is the OP seeing reported to the default location?

                      As I wrote in my initial posting, here they are:

                      arath:/var/log/mail# more /var/log/mail/postfix
                      Jun 2 12:31:54 arath postfix/qmgr[22691]: 1B28611E538: from=<dbraun@...>, size=5469, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
                      Jun 2 12:31:54 arath postfix/qmgr[22691]: 2240511E539: from=<dbraun@...>, size=15738, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
                      Jun 2 12:31:54 arath postfix/qmgr[22691]: 1B28611E538: removed
                      Jun 2 12:31:54 arath postfix/qmgr[22691]: 31E8911E538: from=<dbraun@...>, size=5156, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
                      Jun 2 12:31:54 arath postfix/qmgr[22691]: 40A8111E53A: from=<dbraun@...>, size=44438, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
                      Jun 2 12:31:54 arath postfix/qmgr[22691]: 4664C11E53B: from=<dbraun@...>, size=2660, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
                      Jun 2 12:31:54 arath postfix/qmgr[22691]: 4C39911E53C: from=<dbraun@...>, size=8703, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
                      Jun 2 12:31:54 arath postfix/qmgr[22691]: 530C711E53D: from=<dbraun@...>, size=26249, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
                      Jun 2 12:31:54 arath postfix/qmgr[22691]: 4664C11E53B: removed
                      Jun 2 12:31:54 arath postfix/qmgr[22691]: 40A8111E53A: removed
                      Jun 2 12:31:54 arath postfix/qmgr[22691]: 530C711E53D: removed
                      Jun 2 12:31:54 arath postfix/qmgr[22691]: 6AADB11E53A: from=<dbraun@...>, size=46161, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
                      Jun 2 12:31:54 arath postfix/qmgr[22691]: 2240511E539: removed
                      Jun 2 12:31:54 arath postfix/qmgr[22691]: 7935411E539: from=<dbraun@...>, size=4497, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
                      Jun 2 12:31:54 arath postfix/qmgr[22691]: 31E8911E538: removed
                      Jun 2 12:31:54 arath postfix/qmgr[22691]: 4C39911E53C: removed
                      Jun 2 12:31:54 arath postfix/qmgr[22691]: 6AADB11E53A: removed
                      Jun 2 12:31:54 arath postfix/qmgr[22691]: 86DD211E538: from=<dbraun@...>, size=4426, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
                      Jun 2 12:31:54 arath postfix/qmgr[22691]: 7935411E539: removed
                      Jun 2 12:31:54 arath postfix/qmgr[22691]: 86DD211E538: removed

                      Message 10 of 20 , Jun 2, 2008
                        Monday, June 2, 2008, 4:14:59 PM, you wrote:
                        > Fixed in the next release...

                        Thanks a lot!

                        Dietmar

                        Message 11 of 20 , Jun 2, 2008
                          Wietse Venema:
                          > Wietse Venema:
                          > > Dietmar Braun:

                          > > > arath:/var/log/mail# postconf | grep mail_version
                          > > > mail_version = 2.5.2
                          > > >
                          > > > Hm, I suppose my quite "fresh" postfix should have that? ;)
                          > >
                          > > Apparently, that fixes changes in syslog_name, but not changes in
                          > > syslog_facility. I'll put that on the TODO list.
                          >
                          > All msg_syslog_init() calls have fixed parameters, so it seems that
                          > the syslog_facility parameter implementation was not completed
                          > after the main.cf parameter was defined.

                          Actually, the syslog_facility feature got broken when I implemented
                          the above fix for syslog_name.

                          Message 12 of 20 , Jun 2, 2008
                            On Mon, Jun 02, 2008 at 10:49:40AM -0400, Wietse Venema wrote:

                            > > > Apparently, that fixes changes in syslog_name, but not changes in
                            > > > syslog_facility. I'll put that on the TODO list.
                            > >
                            > > All msg_syslog_init() calls have fixed parameters, so it seems that
                            > > the syslog_facility parameter implementation was not completed
                            > > after the main.cf parameter was defined.
                            >
                            > Actually, the syslog_facility feature got broken when I implemented
                            > the above fix for syslog_name.

                            Only in the case that master.cf contains "-o syslog_name=..." overrides, right?

                            mail_params_init();
                            if (redo_syslog_init)
                            msg_syslog_init(mail_task(var_procname), LOG_PID, LOG_FACILITY);
                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^
                            should be var_syslog_facility?

                            case 'o':
                            /* XXX Use split_nameval() */
                            if ((oval = split_at(optarg, '=')) == 0)
                            oval = "";
                            mail_conf_update(optarg, oval);
                            if (strcmp(optarg, VAR_SYSLOG_NAME) == 0)
                            redo_syslog_init = 1;
                            break;

                            Message 13 of 20 , Jun 2, 2008
                              Victor Duchovni:

                              > > > All msg_syslog_init() calls have fixed parameters, so it seems that
                              > > > the syslog_facility parameter implementation was not completed
                              > > > after the main.cf parameter was defined.
                              > >
                              > > Actually, the syslog_facility feature got broken when I implemented
                              > > the above fix for syslog_name.
                              >

                              > Only in the case that master.cf contains "-o syslog_name=..." overrides, right?

                              > mail_params_init();
                              > if (redo_syslog_init)
                              > msg_syslog_init(mail_task(var_procname), LOG_PID, LOG_FACILITY);
                              > ^^^^^^^^^^^^
                              > should be var_syslog_facility?

                              A bug is a bug, even if it triggers only sometimes.

                              The redo_syslog_init branch clobbers the syslog_facility. However,
                              LOG_FACILITY is an int, while var_syslog_facility is a string.
                              The msg_syslog(3) API needs to be revised so that name and facility
                              can be updated more easily.

                              Message 14 of 20 , Jun 2, 2008
                                On Mon, Jun 02, 2008 at 12:45:51PM -0400, Wietse Venema wrote:

                                > > Only in the case that master.cf contains "-o syslog_name=..." overrides, right?

                                > > mail_params_init();
                                > > if (redo_syslog_init)
                                > > msg_syslog_init(mail_task(var_procname), LOG_PID, LOG_FACILITY);
                                > > ^^^^^^^^^^^^
                                > > should be var_syslog_facility?
                                >
                                > A bug is a bug, even if it triggers only sometimes.
                                >
                                > The redo_syslog_init branch clobbers the syslog_facility. However,
                                > LOG_FACILITY is an int, while var_syslog_facility is a string.
                                > The msg_syslog(3) API needs to be revised so that name and facility
                                > can be updated more easily.

                                I am also not sure about when/how the explicit syslog_facility is used. It seems
                                that it is passed with each call to msg_syslog():

                                static void msg_syslog_print(int level, const char *text)
                                {
                                static int log_level[] = {
                                LOG_INFO, LOG_WARNING, LOG_ERR, LOG_CRIT, LOG_CRIT,
                                };
                                static char *severity_name[] = {
                                "info", "warning", "error", "fatal", "panic",
                                };

                                if (level < 0 || level >= (int) (sizeof(log_level) / sizeof(log_level[0])))
                                msg_panic("msg_syslog_print: invalid severity level: %d", level);

                                if (level == MSG_INFO) {
                                syslog(syslog_facility | log_level[level], "%.*s",
                                (int) MSG_SYSLOG_RECLEN, text);
                                } else {
                                syslog(syslog_facility | log_level[level], "%s: %.*s",
                                severity_name[level], (int) MSG_SYSLOG_RECLEN, text);
                                }
                                }

                                So does it in fact matter what facility is passed to the second openlog()?

                                Message 15 of 20 , Jun 2, 2008
                                  Victor Duchovni:
                                  > So does it in fact matter what facility is passed to the second openlog()?

                                  No, but the whole discussion shows that syslog_name/facility support
                                  is poorly structured and that it needs to be cleaned up. This code
                                  is no longer "obviously correct".