Re: bad address pattern

    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 2, 2008
      Ralf Hildebrandt:
      > * Glenn English <ghe@...>:
      > > Postfix (2.3.8 binary Debian testing install) has quit working reliably.
      > > I've restarted it, reinstalled it, and found the string in the cidr
      > > check in the utilities (don't understand what's going on). I'm at a loss...
      > >
      > > Here's part of a log:
      > >
      > > > Jun 1 20:34:28 server postfix/smtpd[6412]: connect from unknown[209.164.135.37]
      > > > Jun 1 20:34:28 server postfix/smtpd[6412]: fatal: bad address pattern: "be"
      >
      > > Here's postconf:
      >
      > We need "postconf -n" output

      It's probably a bad "mynetworks" setting in main.cf.

      Wietse
    • Glenn English
      • MrC
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 2, 2008
          Glenn English wrote:
          >> # begin email clients list
          >> 71.123.14.46 # aw
          >> 71.211.167.203 # be
          >> 98.196.220.102 # betty
          >> 75.171.165.24 # bob
          >> 24.8.143.224 # david
          >> 192.168.20.229 # ghe
          >> 67.198.106.39 # jerry
          >> 72.253.99.191 # re
          >> 71.218.143.191 # tr
          >> # end email clients list
          >
          > this one triggers the error from cidr_match_parse() in src/util/:
          >
          >> 71.211.167.203 # be

          The only reference to comments in the cidr_table(5) documentation is:

          blank lines and comments
          Empty lines and whitespace-only lines are ignored, as are lines
          whose first non-whitespace character is a `#'.

          Lose the comments at the end of the line.

          MrC

          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 2, 2008
            Glenn English wrote:

            > Wietse Venema wrote:
            >
            >> It's probably a bad "mynetworks" setting in main.cf.
            >>

            > That was it. Looking at the source again, in non-panic mode, it seems to
            > be looking for the /nn at the end of a cidr address.
            >
            > I have a number of lines in mynetworks to allow some users to send from
            > alien networks:
            >
            >> # begin email clients list
            >> 71.123.14.46 # aw
            >> 71.211.167.203 # be
            >> 98.196.220.102 # betty
            >> 75.171.165.24 # bob
            >> 24.8.143.224 # david
            >> 192.168.20.229 # ghe
            >> 67.198.106.39 # jerry
            >> 72.253.99.191 # re
            >> 71.218.143.191 # tr
            >> # end email clients list
            >
            > this one triggers the error from cidr_match_parse() in src/util/:
            >
            >> 71.211.167.203 # be
            >
            > The others don't seem to. A /32 after the IP doesn't help. But changing
            > "be" to "qwbe" (or leaving off the label) does, and allows him to use
            > the server.
            >
            > Anybody have the time/understanding/inclination to explain???
            >
            > - --
            > Glenn English
            > ghe@...

            Postfix doesn't allow in-line comments. Postfix is trying to
            make sense of the hostname "be", which fails.

            If you want to comment your entries, put the comments on a
            separate line.

            The first section of
            http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html
            documents the format of main.cf

            --
            Noel Jones
          • ghe
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 2, 2008
                ghe wrote:
                > Noel Jones wrote:
                >
                > | Postfix doesn't allow in-line comments. Postfix is trying to make sense
                > | of the hostname "be", which fails.
                >
                > I didn't know that -- but the fact that it didn't hurl all the time
                > makes me wonder what it's doing with the ones it *did* make sense of.

                not promissed, thus unpredictable. be happy that you didn't erase the
                whole disk.

                > | If you want to comment your entries, put the comments on a separate
                > line.
                >
                > I think I can live with that.
                >
                > They weren't really comments; they're labels for a piece of software
                > that needs to know who's at what IP.

                The last guy who song "my intuition is good" was killed. so read the
                documentation.

                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 2, 2008
                  ghe:
                  > Noel Jones wrote:
                  >
                  > | Postfix doesn't allow in-line comments. Postfix is trying to make sense
                  > | of the hostname "be", which fails.
                  >
                  > I didn't know that -- but the fact that it didn't hurl all the time
                  > makes me wonder what it's doing with the ones it *did* make sense of.

                  Postfix uses the inet_pton() system routine, and apparently that
                  routine returned an error for "be" but not for the other strings.
                  I have no idea what result it produced for the junk.

                  Wietse

                  > | If you want to comment your entries, put the comments on a separate line.
                  >
                  > I think I can live with that.
                  >
                  > They weren't really comments; they're labels for a piece of software
                  > that needs to know who's at what IP.
                  >
                  > Thanks to all for the cluebats...
                  >
                  > --
                  > Glenn English