Re: repeated sending to majordomo list

  • m.c.wilkins@massey.ac.nz
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1, 2008
      > By default, :include:/file aliases already do indirect delivery, so
      >
      > > The owner-listname alias is required in any case, so that senders
      > > don't get all the non-delivery notifications. Instead, they are
      > > sent to a person who can actually fix the problem, for example by
      > > removing dead addresses.
      >
      > the main benefit of "ower-listname" with ":include:..." aliases is
      > redirecting the non-delivery notices. You only get multiple deliveries
      > when:
      >
      > - The :include: alias member is listed with other "direct" recipients
      > for the same alias, and some of those (soft) fail.

      Viktor, it is friday morning and my brain isn't functioning as well as
      it could (well that is my excuse anyway), so I am not quite sure I
      understand you. Are you saying I could get multiple deliveries in a
      case like so:

      mylist-approval me@...
      mylist-outgoing-request me@...
      mylist-owner me@...
      mylist "|/usr/local/majordomo/wrapper resend -l mylist -h mail.com mylist-outgoing"
      mylist-request "/usr/local/majordomo/wrapper request-answer mylist "
      mylist-outgoing :include:/var/spool/majordomo/lists/mylist, directfoobar@...
      owner-mylist me@...
      owner-mylist-outgoing me@...

      and the directfoobar@... soft fails? Is that what you mean by
      other "direct" recipients? Or do you mean when someone sends an email
      to mylist and anotherperson@... (say) and the
      anotherperson@... soft fails? Or something else? sorry!

      Thanks

      Matt
      Message 2 of 7 , May 1, 2008
        On Fri, May 02, 2008 at 09:02:26AM +1200, m.c.wilkins@... wrote:

        > Are you saying I could get multiple deliveries in a
        > case like so:
        >
        > mylist-outgoing :include:/var/spool/majordomo/lists/mylist, directfoobar@...
        > owner-mylist-outgoing me@...
        >
        > and the directfoobar@... soft fails?

        Yes, exactly. Because alias expansion is the local(8) delivery agent, any
        retries are necessarily for the entire alias, not just the failed part.
        And the problem only happens when "directfoobar@..." is a local
        address.

        > Is that what you mean by
        > other "direct" recipients? Or do you mean when someone sends an email
        > to mylist and anotherperson@... (say) and the
        > anotherperson@... soft fails?

        No, that would be severely broken. Seperate real recipients fail
        or succeed independently.