Re: OT: aliases : appending e-mail to a file permissions

  • Charles Marcus
    Message 1 of 26 , May 1, 2008
      On 4/30/2008 4:35 PM, Randy Ramsdell wrote:
      > This is NOT a "out of office" type of auto responder.

      And if you had made this clear in the beginning, it would have saved
      yourself and the rest of us all of this crap-crud.

      The fact is, when someone says 'auto-responder', without
      *qualification*, it is NOT unreasonable for everyone to make the
      assumptions they did.

      --

      Best regards,

      Charles
    • Randy Ramsdell
      Message 2 of 26 , May 1, 2008
        Charles Marcus wrote:
        > On 4/30/2008 4:35 PM, Randy Ramsdell wrote:
        >> This is NOT a "out of office" type of auto responder.
        >
        > And if you had made this clear in the beginning, it would have saved
        > yourself and the rest of us all of this crap-crud.
        >
        > The fact is, when someone says 'auto-responder', without
        > *qualification*, it is NOT unreasonable for everyone to make the
        > assumptions they did.

        Maybe read the post before you respond as that would help a great deal.
        Someone saw a filename with the name "autoresponder" in one of my
        reponses and then hijacked the thread to write about that instead of the
        real subject. So you tell me smart guy, why should one elaborate on
        their autoresponder which had nothing to do with the original question?
        Mouse and Victor decided to turn this into a thread about
        auto-responders in general, which is why I added "OT" to the subject.
        The original question was about file permission and running scripts
        through the aliases file. Understand? So please think before you write.
        Message 3 of 26 , May 1, 2008
          Randy Ramsdell:
          > Charles Marcus wrote:
          > > On 4/30/2008 4:35 PM, Randy Ramsdell wrote:
          > >> This is NOT a "out of office" type of auto responder.
          > >
          > > And if you had made this clear in the beginning, it would have saved
          > > yourself and the rest of us all of this crap-crud.
          > >
          > > The fact is, when someone says 'auto-responder', without
          > > *qualification*, it is NOT unreasonable for everyone to make the
          > > assumptions they did.
          > >
          > Maybe read the post before you respond as that would help a great deal.
          > Someone saw a filename with the name "autoresponder" in one of my
          > reponses and then hijacked the thread to write about that instead of the
          > real subject. So you tell me smart guy, why should one elaborate on
          > their autoresponder which had nothing to do with the original question?
          > Mouse and Victor decided to turn this into a thread about
          > auto-responders in general, which is why I added "OT" to the subject.
          > The original question was about file permission and running scripts
          > through the aliases file. Understand? So please think before you write.

          Let's kill this thread. The OP is obviously a jerk. His first
          response to reasonable requests for concrete information is "Was
          it really confusing? The aliases file can copy an email to a file
          and also pipe to a script. The file perms of the email prevent the
          the script from parsing the file. [...]" and provides only a fraction
          of the information requested.

          If people react to reasonable requests as if someone stepped on
          their dick, then just don't help them.

          Wietse
        • Randy Ramsdell
          Message 4 of 26 , May 1, 2008
            Wietse Venema wrote:
            > Randy Ramsdell:
            >
            >> Charles Marcus wrote:

            >>> And if you had made this clear in the beginning, it would have saved
            >>> yourself and the rest of us all of this crap-crud.
            >>>
            >>> The fact is, when someone says 'auto-responder', without
            >>> *qualification*, it is NOT unreasonable for everyone to make the
            >>> assumptions they did.
            >>>

            >> Maybe read the post before you respond as that would help a great deal.
            >> Someone saw a filename with the name "autoresponder" in one of my
            >> reponses and then hijacked the thread to write about that instead of the
            >> real subject. So you tell me smart guy, why should one elaborate on
            >> their autoresponder which had nothing to do with the original question?
            >> Mouse and Victor decided to turn this into a thread about
            >> auto-responders in general, which is why I added "OT" to the subject.
            >> The original question was about file permission and running scripts
            >> through the aliases file. Understand? So please think before you write.
            >>

            > Let's kill this thread. The OP is obviously a jerk. His first
            > response to reasonable requests for concrete information is "Was
            > it really confusing? The aliases file can copy an email to a file
            > and also pipe to a script. The file perms of the email prevent the
            > the script from parsing the file. [...]" and provides only a fraction
            > of the information requested.
            >
            > If people react to reasonable requests as if someone stepped on
            > their dick, then just don't help them.
            >
            > Wietse

            And the ones that hijacked the thread with personal agenda's regarding
            autoresponders aren't being jerks? Was there a single question about how
            to write an autoreponder ? And if not, why hijack a thread starting out
            by basically saying "We don't know anything about your script, but will
            assume you wrote it wrong. Therefore you don't know what you are doing
            and shouldn't write it." They were just as rude as you took my
            "confusing" statement to be but they were more straight forward with
            their insults. Amazing thought processes!
            Message 5 of 26 , May 1, 2008
              Wietse Venema wrote:
              > Let's kill this thread. The OP is obviously a jerk. His first
              > response to reasonable requests for concrete information is "Was
              > it really confusing? The aliases file can copy an email to a file
              > and also pipe to a script. The file perms of the email prevent the
              > the script from parsing the file. [...]" and provides only a fraction
              > of the information requested.
              >
              > If people react to reasonable requests as if someone stepped on
              > their dick, then just don't help them.

              Randy Ramsdell:
              > And the ones that hijacked the thread with personal agenda's regarding
              > autoresponders aren't being jerks? Was there a single question about how

              When the OP's first response is that of a jerk who can't be bothered
              to answer all the questions in a reasonable request for detail,
              then you can expect irritation and speculation. Even I can see that.

              This non-Postfix thread has gone on long enough.