Re: Losing My SPAM Battle

  • Carlos Williams
    Message 1 of 31 , Apr 1, 2008
      Thanks all for the suggestions. I agree with Ezra said. I am clearly losing the battle due to the fact that I have no implemented a solution but the reason for this is because I did not know how to configure one. I have no problem getting Postfix and Dovecot up and running on my server but I am unable to find a guide that helps me configure Amavisd-new & Spamassassin with Postfix. That has been my biggest challenge is finding something that guides me to configure all of these to work together and function.

      Thank you all so much for every reply. I have sent things to the Google Postfix Group for months and have never had one single reply and or suggestion. Its nice to see people with good / positive suggestions!

      On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 8:54 AM, Carlos Williams <carloswill@...> wrote:
      I am running Postfix 2.3 as a corporate email server. I love running Postfix and don't want to switch to something else however SPAM is getting way out of control on my companies domain. Everyone is complaining about SPAM and I have to find a solution to this. Right now I have the following installed:

      - CentOS 5.1 = OS
      - Postfix 2.3 = MTA
      - Dovecot 1.0 = MDA
      - Amavisd-new = Not Configured
      - Spamassassin = Not Configured
      - ClamAV = Not Configured
      - Procmail = Not Configured

      My problem is that I am being suggested online to have ClamAV and Spamassassin run via Amavisd-new. I have never done this before and I am very scared I will end up losing control of this email server in place for Exchange or something like that. I want to do everything in my power to keep Postfix running here but I need to find a way to integrate SPAM scoring and SPAM filtering along side with the MTA / MDA.

      Does anyone have a complete guide or anything they recommend? I have read Postfix.org and there are so many different manuals and all of them seem to do things their own way. I just want one that works. At this point the company I work for would even wire a consultant to come out to Orlando and help us get this running.

      Thanks for any assistance!

      --
      This EMAIL was sent from a Linux (virus free) environment...

      --
      This EMAIL was sent from a Linux (virus free) environment...
    • /dev/rob0
      Message 31 of 31 , Apr 4, 2008
        On Fri April 4 2008 20:02:50 Bill Cole wrote:
        > >Although I don't intentionally use Comcast's nameservers, it's quite
        > >possible that they have transparently proxied DNS traffic.
        >
        > That would be a spectacularly evil thing to do.
        >
        > It seems within the realm of possibility (and far less evil) that
        > Spamhaus has filtered all of Comcast's residential space from being
        > able to query their servers, given the prevalence of zombies in that
        > space.

        You are of course correct, and there was even a clue in my post: I
        fixed my issue by forwarding queries to my own remote servers. One of
        these is through a VPN, but the others are reached using port 53, and
        all are tested, answering my queries from there.

        I am, however, familiar with at least one ISP that redirects DNS
        traffic to its own servers: HughesNet home satellite. I bet it was a
        matter of incompetence rather than malice; it's difficult to make a
        laggy satellite connection work like ADSL or cable.