Re: Losing My SPAM Battle

  • Tony Holmes
    Message 1 of 31 , Apr 1, 2008
      > I was actually getting ready to write a very similar e-mail! ASSP as
      > blocked almost all of my spam... Now I just need to update it since
      > the spammers are catching on to greylisting at least at my site...

      I had problems with ASSP being too strict or not strict enough and abandoned
      it in favour of the postfix policyd-weight and have been amazingly happy with
      it. I run a domain that gets spammed heavily (2-3million/day) and very little
      gets through - even when I am whitelisting to myself, I get maybe 10-15 spam
      in my inbox/day and have not noticed false positives as of yet.

      I recommend it as the policdy daemon and combine it with amavisd/spamassassin

      http://www.policyd-weight.org

      --
      Tony Holmes

      Ph: (416) 993-1219

      Founder and Senior Systems Architect
      Crosswinds Internet Communications Inc.
    • /dev/rob0
      Message 31 of 31 , Apr 4, 2008
        On Fri April 4 2008 20:02:50 Bill Cole wrote:
        > >Although I don't intentionally use Comcast's nameservers, it's quite
        > >possible that they have transparently proxied DNS traffic.
        >
        > That would be a spectacularly evil thing to do.
        >
        > It seems within the realm of possibility (and far less evil) that
        > Spamhaus has filtered all of Comcast's residential space from being
        > able to query their servers, given the prevalence of zombies in that
        > space.

        You are of course correct, and there was even a clue in my post: I
        fixed my issue by forwarding queries to my own remote servers. One of
        these is through a VPN, but the others are reached using port 53, and
        all are tested, answering my queries from there.

        I am, however, familiar with at least one ISP that redirects DNS
        traffic to its own servers: HughesNet home satellite. I bet it was a
        matter of incompetence rather than malice; it's difficult to make a
        laggy satellite connection work like ADSL or cable.