Re: Losing My SPAM Battle

  • Charles Marcus
    Message 1 of 31 , Apr 1, 2008
      On 4/1/2008 8:54 AM, Carlos Williams wrote:
      > I am running Postfix 2.3 as a corporate email server. I love running
      > Postfix and don't want to switch to something else however SPAM is
      > getting way out of control on my companies domain. Everyone is
      > complaining about SPAM and I have to find a solution to this.

      If you don't need per-user quarantines, etc, ASSP is *very* easy to
      install and setup, as long as you follow the directions, and blocks 90+%
      of spam immediately using its basic checks + greylisting...

      http://assp.sourceforge.net/

      http://www.asspsmtp.org/wiki/Welcome

      If you do need per user quarantines, even though ASSP doesn't support
      them directly, you could simply tag messages determined to be spam by
      ASSPs content filtering (which is excellent, by the way, as long as you
      properly manage its ham/spam and periodically rebuild the database), and
      deliver it to the users 'Junk' folder, and let the user handle it from
      there.

      --

      Best regards,

      Charles
    • /dev/rob0
      Message 31 of 31 , Apr 4, 2008
        On Fri April 4 2008 20:02:50 Bill Cole wrote:
        > >Although I don't intentionally use Comcast's nameservers, it's quite
        > >possible that they have transparently proxied DNS traffic.
        >
        > That would be a spectacularly evil thing to do.
        >
        > It seems within the realm of possibility (and far less evil) that
        > Spamhaus has filtered all of Comcast's residential space from being
        > able to query their servers, given the prevalence of zombies in that
        > space.

        You are of course correct, and there was even a clue in my post: I
        fixed my issue by forwarding queries to my own remote servers. One of
        these is through a VPN, but the others are reached using port 53, and
        all are tested, answering my queries from there.

        I am, however, familiar with at least one ISP that redirects DNS
        traffic to its own servers: HughesNet home satellite. I bet it was a
        matter of incompetence rather than malice; it's difficult to make a
        laggy satellite connection work like ADSL or cable.