Re: Losing My SPAM Battle

  • Scott McCarty
    Message 1 of 31 , Apr 1 6:00 AM
      On Tuesday 01 April 2008, Carlos Williams wrote:
      > I am running Postfix 2.3 as a corporate email server. I love running Postfix
      > and don't want to switch to something else however SPAM is getting way out
      > of control on my companies domain. Everyone is complaining about SPAM and I
      > have to find a solution to this. Right now I have the following installed:
      >
      > - CentOS 5.1 = OS
      > - Postfix 2.3 = MTA
      > - Dovecot 1.0 = MDA
      > - Amavisd-new = Not Configured
      > - Spamassassin = Not Configured
      > - ClamAV = Not Configured
      > - Procmail = Not Configured
      >
      > My problem is that I am being suggested online to have ClamAV and
      > Spamassassin run via Amavisd-new. I have never done this before and I am
      > very scared I will end up losing control of this email server in place for
      > Exchange or something like that. I want to do everything in my power to keep
      > Postfix running here but I need to find a way to integrate SPAM scoring and
      > SPAM filtering along side with the MTA / MDA.
      >
      > Does anyone have a complete guide or anything they recommend?
      If you are worried they will force you into exchange or some other pay for
      product and you are also worried about breaking upgrading what you have, you
      might look at an external email filter like Postini or AppRiver. I have used
      them both, they are not perfect, but they require way less time from the
      administrator. Companies like this usually have a wev interface to quarantine
      and release, also the prices are usually fiarly cheap (AppRiver is 75 cents a
      mailbox per month), and they have a team dedicated to getting rid of spam.

      Just an idea.

      --
      Scott McCarty
      EYEMG.com LLC - Interactive Media Group
      Message 31 of 31 , Apr 4 10:49 PM
        On Fri April 4 2008 20:02:50 Bill Cole wrote:
        > >Although I don't intentionally use Comcast's nameservers, it's quite
        > >possible that they have transparently proxied DNS traffic.
        >
        > That would be a spectacularly evil thing to do.
        >
        > It seems within the realm of possibility (and far less evil) that
        > Spamhaus has filtered all of Comcast's residential space from being
        > able to query their servers, given the prevalence of zombies in that
        > space.

        You are of course correct, and there was even a clue in my post: I
        fixed my issue by forwarding queries to my own remote servers. One of
        these is through a VPN, but the others are reached using port 53, and
        all are tested, answering my queries from there.

        I am, however, familiar with at least one ISP that redirects DNS
        traffic to its own servers: HughesNet home satellite. I bet it was a
        matter of incompetence rather than malice; it's difficult to make a
        laggy satellite connection work like ADSL or cable.