Losing My SPAM Battle

  • Carlos Williams
    Message 1 of 31 , Apr 1, 2008
      I am running Postfix 2.3 as a corporate email server. I love running Postfix and don't want to switch to something else however SPAM is getting way out of control on my companies domain. Everyone is complaining about SPAM and I have to find a solution to this. Right now I have the following installed:

      - CentOS 5.1 = OS
      - Postfix 2.3 = MTA
      - Dovecot 1.0 = MDA
      - Amavisd-new = Not Configured
      - Spamassassin = Not Configured
      - ClamAV = Not Configured
      - Procmail = Not Configured

      My problem is that I am being suggested online to have ClamAV and Spamassassin run via Amavisd-new. I have never done this before and I am very scared I will end up losing control of this email server in place for Exchange or something like that. I want to do everything in my power to keep Postfix running here but I need to find a way to integrate SPAM scoring and SPAM filtering along side with the MTA / MDA.

      Does anyone have a complete guide or anything they recommend? I have read Postfix.org and there are so many different manuals and all of them seem to do things their own way. I just want one that works. At this point the company I work for would even wire a consultant to come out to Orlando and help us get this running.

      Thanks for any assistance!

      --
      This EMAIL was sent from a Linux (virus free) environment...
    • /dev/rob0
      Message 31 of 31 , Apr 4, 2008
        On Fri April 4 2008 20:02:50 Bill Cole wrote:
        > >Although I don't intentionally use Comcast's nameservers, it's quite
        > >possible that they have transparently proxied DNS traffic.
        >
        > That would be a spectacularly evil thing to do.
        >
        > It seems within the realm of possibility (and far less evil) that
        > Spamhaus has filtered all of Comcast's residential space from being
        > able to query their servers, given the prevalence of zombies in that
        > space.

        You are of course correct, and there was even a clue in my post: I
        fixed my issue by forwarding queries to my own remote servers. One of
        these is through a VPN, but the others are reached using port 53, and
        all are tested, answering my queries from there.

        I am, however, familiar with at least one ISP that redirects DNS
        traffic to its own servers: HughesNet home satellite. I bet it was a
        matter of incompetence rather than malice; it's difficult to make a
        laggy satellite connection work like ADSL or cable.