Auto-response, but not vacation

  • Sylvain
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 31, 2008
      Hello,

      I'm looking for an auto-response system without using the vacation
      system. What I'd like is :

      when user@... receives an email, a response is sent to the sender
      to confirm that his email has been received. This action has to be
      enable for a single email address, and not the whole domain.

      Vacation could allow me to do something like that, but I have a strange
      issue when an alias is configured on the recipient email address... the
      vacation email is sent twice to the sender and mail is not delivered in
      the user mailbox ?

      Thanks for your help !

      Cheers,
      Sylvain -
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 31, 2008
        Sylvain wrote:
        > Hello,
        >
        > I'm looking for an auto-response system without using the vacation
        > system. What I'd like is :
        >
        > when user@... receives an email, a response is sent to the
        > sender to confirm that his email has been received. This action has to
        > be enable for a single email address, and not the whole domain.

        and if spammers hit this recipient, the innocent sender would die under
        the flood? such functionalities require a lot of care to avoid
        backscatter (exceptionally backscatter storms). vacation implements some
        safeguards, but you still need other checks (not responding to mail that
        may be spam, ... etc).

        > Vacation could allow me to do something like that, but I have a
        > strange issue when an alias is configured on the recipient email
        > address... the vacation email is sent twice to the sender and mail is
        > not delivered in the user mailbox ?

        vacation should work. when using aliases, look at the "-a" flag.
      • Sylvain
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 1, 2008
          Thanks for your answer.

          On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 22:33:11 +0200, mouss <mouss@...> wrote:

          > and if spammers hit this recipient, the innocent sender would die under
          > the flood? such functionalities require a lot of care to avoid
          > backscatter (exceptionally backscatter storms). vacation implements some
          > safeguards, but you still need other checks (not responding to mail that
          > may be spam, ... etc).

          That's true, but than I'm using the vacation.pl script provide with
          PostfixAdmin, I'll have a look at the code.

          >> Vacation could allow me to do something like that, but I have a
          >> strange issue when an alias is configured on the recipient email
          >> address... the vacation email is sent twice to the sender and mail is
          >> not delivered in the user mailbox ?
          >>

          > vacation should work. when using aliases, look at the "-a" flag.

          I've fix this issue. Thanks !
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 1, 2008
            Sylvain wrote:
            > Thanks for your answer.
            >
            > On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 22:33:11 +0200, mouss <mouss@...> wrote:
            >

            >> and if spammers hit this recipient, the innocent sender would die under
            >> the flood? such functionalities require a lot of care to avoid
            >> backscatter (exceptionally backscatter storms). vacation implements some
            >> safeguards, but you still need other checks (not responding to mail that
            >> may be spam, ... etc).
            >>

            > That's true, but than I'm using the vacation.pl script provide with
            > PostfixAdmin, I'll have a look at the code.

            I was talking about the "old bsd" vacation program. I have no idea if
            postfixadmin vacation.pl is safe.