[HEADS UP] remove ordb from your systems

    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 26, 2008
      For those who didn't see it, ordb now returns a positive result for
      every query. If you have
      reject_rbl_client relays.ordb.org
      you should disable it. Also check other software and hardware
      (appliances, ...) that may be using it. (Are Symantec and others
      inundated with support calls?).

      ordb was discontinued more than a year ago, so this action is
      understandable and there is nothing to complain about (of you course,
      you can still complain to yourself or to your vendor ;-p)
    • Frog
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 1, 2008
        mouss wrote:
        > For those who didn't see it, ordb now returns a positive result for
        > every query. If you have
        > reject_rbl_client relays.ordb.org
        > you should disable it. Also check other software and hardware
        > (appliances, ...) that may be using it. (Are Symantec and others
        > inundated with support calls?).
        >
        > ordb was discontinued more than a year ago, so this action is
        > understandable and there is nothing to complain about (of you course,
        > you can still complain to yourself or to your vendor ;-p)

        Hello,

        I just noticed that the documentation on the Postfix site still refers
        to relays.ordb.org which may cause some confusion if it isn't changed.

        The specific page where I saw it is http://www.postfix.org/uce.html

        It is listed under header checks and examples.

        Best regards
        Frog
      • D Hill
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 1, 2008
          On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 at 15:23 +0100, Jacqui.caren@... confabulated:

          > Frog wrote:
          >> mouss wrote:
          >>
          >>> For those who didn't see it, ordb now returns a positive result for every
          >>> query. If you have
          >>> reject_rbl_client relays.ordb.org
          >>> you should disable it. Also check other software and hardware (appliances,
          >>> ...) that may be using it. (Are Symantec and others inundated with support
          >>> calls?).
          >>>
          >>> ordb was discontinued more than a year ago, so this action is
          >>> understandable and there is nothing to complain about (of you course, you
          >>> can still complain to yourself or to your vendor ;-p)
          >>>
          >> Hello,
          >>
          >> I just noticed that the documentation on the Postfix site still refers to
          >> relays.ordb.org which may cause some confusion if it isn't changed.
          >>
          >> The specific page where I saw it is http://www.postfix.org/uce.html
          >
          > It is a bit sad that a dead RBL has to go to the trouble of +ve
          > listings for everyone just to stop people using it.

          Yet it was posted on _SEVERAL_ lists the RBL was going to be shutting
          down. It was even posted on this list by Victor:

          http://groups.google.com/group/list.postfix.users/browse_thread/thread/4c09f2efc22001d7/82008dc42f4982f8?lnk=gst&q=ordb#82008dc42f4982f8

          > Hmm, perhaps ATT/BT/yahoo's 'new' filter engine included ordb? :-)
          > It would explain why people could not even email themselves!
          >
          > Jacqui

        • Jacqui Caren
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 1, 2008

            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 1, 2008
              Jacqui Caren wrote:
              > Frog wrote:
              >> mouss wrote:
              >>
              >>> For those who didn't see it, ordb now returns a positive result for
              >>> every query. If you have
              >>> reject_rbl_client relays.ordb.org
              >>> you should disable it. Also check other software and hardware
              >>> (appliances, ...) that may be using it. (Are Symantec and others
              >>> inundated with support calls?).
              >>>
              >>> ordb was discontinued more than a year ago, so this action is
              >>> understandable and there is nothing to complain about (of you
              >>> course, you can still complain to yourself or to your vendor ;-p)
              >>>
              >> Hello,
              >>
              >> I just noticed that the documentation on the Postfix site still
              >> refers to relays.ordb.org which may cause some confusion if it isn't
              >> changed.
              >>
              >> The specific page where I saw it is http://www.postfix.org/uce.html
              >
              > It is a bit sad that a dead RBL has to go to the trouble of +ve
              > listings for everyone just to stop people using it.

              There seems to be no other way to get the knockers to stop. millions of
              DNS queries aren't free when you're the one who receive them.

              > Hmm, perhaps ATT/BT/yahoo's 'new' filter engine included ordb? :-)

              I am not aware of any problems at these sites. In particular, I didn't
              notice any problem with yahoo.

              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 2, 2008
                Frog wrote:
                > mouss wrote:
                >> For those who didn't see it, ordb now returns a positive result for
                >> every query. If you have
                >> reject_rbl_client relays.ordb.org
                >> you should disable it. Also check other software and hardware
                >> (appliances, ...) that may be using it. (Are Symantec and others
                >> inundated with support calls?).
                >>
                >> ordb was discontinued more than a year ago, so this action is
                >> understandable and there is nothing to complain about (of you course,
                >> you can still complain to yourself or to your vendor ;-p)
                >>
                > Hello,
                >
                > I just noticed that the documentation on the Postfix site still refers
                > to relays.ordb.org which may cause some confusion if it isn't changed.
                >
                > The specific page where I saw it is http://www.postfix.org/uce.html
                >
                > It is listed under header checks and examples.

                did you miss the first line of that page? It says:

                * Note: this web page is no longer maintained. It exists only to avoid
                breaking links in web pages that describe earlier versions of the
                Postfix mail system.

                *
              • Colin Campbell
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 2, 2008
                  Hi,

                  On Wed, 2008-04-02 at 22:59 +0200, mouss wrote:
                  > Frog wrote:
                  > > mouss wrote:
                  > >> For those who didn't see it, ordb now returns a positive result for
                  > >> every query.

                  Are you sure it's still "positive"? I found an old mail server rejecting
                  a lot of (mostly) spam with:

                  554 Service unavailable; Client host [76.77.65.218] blocked using
                  relays.ordb.org; ordb.org was shut down on December 18, 2006. Please
                  remove from your mailserver.;

                  so I removed ordb from it.

                  Colin
                  --
                  Colin Campbell
                  Unix Support/Postmaster/Hostmaster
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 2, 2008
                    Colin Campbell wrote:
                    > Hi,
                    >
                    > On Wed, 2008-04-02 at 22:59 +0200, mouss wrote:
                    >
                    >> Frog wrote:

                    > Are you sure it's still "positive"?

                    positive as in "yes, it is listed".

                    > I found an old mail server rejecting
                    > a lot of (mostly) spam with:
                    >
                    > 554 Service unavailable; Client host [76.77.65.218] blocked using
                    > relays.ordb.org; ordb.org was shut down on December 18, 2006. Please
                    > remove from your mailserver.;
                    >
                    > so I removed ordb from it.

                  • Colin Campbell
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 2, 2008
                      Hi,

                      On Thu, 2008-04-03 at 00:51 +0200, mouss wrote:
                      > Colin Campbell wrote:
                      > > Hi,

                      > > Are you sure it's still "positive"?
                      >
                      > positive as in "yes, it is listed".

                      Thanks, silly me interpreted "positive" as "okay" (not listed).

                      Colin

                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 2, 2008
                        mouss wrote:.

                        > did you miss the first line of that page? It says:

                        Yes indeed I did miss it because I never saw it. (see below)
                        > * Note: this web page is no longer maintained. It exists only to avoid
                        > breaking links in web pages that describe earlier versions of the
                        > Postfix mail
                        It's rather pointless putting such a tiny insignificant disclaimer that
                        is barely noticible at the top of a page especially when one does not
                        even see the top of the page to begin with.

                        Why does one not see the top of the page you might ask?

                        Because google sent me to an anchored link:
                        http://www.postfix.org/uce.html#header_checks

                        My suggestion was to remove a single line from the examples to prevent
                        someone using it in error. Pointing to a stupid disclaimer does not
                        resolve that issue especially as in my case I never saw it to begin
                        with. As no doubt many others will not see it either.

                        If your documentation is outdated the why is such a page so obviously
                        available as in the mainstream documentation?

                        If it is depreciated then maybe the URL could point to something a
                        little less official looking. Maybe something like /old/use.html.

                        These are merely my observations and experiences. No doubt you feel
                        empowered by pointing out what you think as the obvious.

                        Regards
                        Frog