Virtual Maildirs + Quota, VDA alternatives?

  • Martin Schmitt
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 29, 2008
      Hi all!

      I have a fairly old Installation of Postfix 2.1.3+VDA that I would like
      to replace with something more current.

      While I want keep the ability to apply quotas to the virtual_mailbox
      maildirs, I would rather not apply the VDA patch, out of personal
      preference.

      What are my options? The number of users is very low (<200) with no more
      than a few thousand messages coming in every day.

      I've been considering a policy service that that handles quota
      enforcement by determining the recipient's maildir size. Does that sound
      reasonable for a low volume site? Is there a policy service like this
      around already?

      Thanks for your time,

      -martin

      --
      Martin Schmitt - Schmitt Systemberatung - http://www.scsy.de
      DE 35415 Pohlheim, Gießener Str. 18
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 29, 2008
        On Sat, Mar 01, 2008 at 07:34:15AM +0100, Martin Schmitt wrote:

        > Hi all!
        >
        > I have a fairly old Installation of Postfix 2.1.3+VDA that I would like
        > to replace with something more current.
        >
        > While I want keep the ability to apply quotas to the virtual_mailbox
        > maildirs, I would rather not apply the VDA patch, out of personal
        > preference.

        Courier "maildrop" supports delivery with maildir quotas. Though you
        lose the ability to use virtual(8) and can't use virtual_mailbox_maps
        for both recipient validation and mailbox path selection (which is now
        done by "maildrop"), it should not be difficult to automate keeping
        the Postfix and maildrop settings consistent.

        > I've been considering a policy service that that handles quota
        > enforcement by determining the recipient's maildir size. Does that sound
        > reasonable for a low volume site? Is there a policy service like this
        > around already?

        VDA does not AFAIK handle rejecting over-quota mail at SMTP time so
        you still need to translate over-quota conditions into access table
        decisions. Policy services are not required, a periodically updated
        access(5) table may be good enough.

      • Martin Schmitt
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 1, 2008
          Victor Duchovni schrieb:

          > VDA does not AFAIK handle rejecting over-quota mail at SMTP time so
          > you still need to translate over-quota conditions into access table
          > decisions. Policy services are not required, a periodically updated
          > access(5) table may be good enough.

          I've considered a cache for the policy service in question, but the
          thought of simply generating an access table hadn't occurred to me.

          Thanks for the push in the right direction. :-)

          -martin