Simple mailing list

  • Jonas Forsman
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 16, 2008
      Hi,
      I am trying to acheive a very simple mailing list for a client.
      Since I am using mysql and I am not found of setting up local users,
      I am stuck right now on howto acheive this.

      Does anyone have a suggestion on how to proceed?

      regards, Jonas Forsman
    • Matthias Schmidt
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 16, 2008
        Am/On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 12:51:27 +0100 schrieb/wrote Jonas Forsman:

        >Hi,
        >I am trying to acheive a very simple mailing list for a client.
        >Since I am using mysql and I am not found of setting up local users,
        >I am stuck right now on howto acheive this.
        >
        >Does anyone have a suggestion on how to proceed?

        mailman ?

        all the best
        Matthias
      • Dominik
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 16, 2008
          You could use a virtual alias

          main.cf:
          virtual_alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtualalias

          /etc/postfix/virtualalias:
          my-maillinglist@... virtual-maillinglist

          /etc/aliases:
          virtual-maillinglist: recipient1@..., recipient2@...

          Dont forget to run postmap and postaliases.

          Jonas Forsman schrieb:
          > Hi,
          > I am trying to acheive a very simple mailing list for a client.
          > Since I am using mysql and I am not found of setting up local users,
          > I am stuck right now on howto acheive this.
          >
          > Does anyone have a suggestion on how to proceed?
          >
          > regards, Jonas Forsman

        • Petri Riihikallio
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 16, 2008
            > I am trying to acheive a very simple mailing list for a client.

            A simple mailing list is a complicated matter. For example you would
            need to handle non-delivery-notifications, out-of-office and vacation
            easily create a loop between two autoresponders that generates
            thousands of messages per hour. Once I was on a such "simple list". I
            had over 3000 messages in my inbox when I un_subscribed. Oh,
            sub_scribing and un_subscribing can also be a maintenance headache,
            let alone an archive and search feature that some users will expect.
            Sooner than you realize you'd be writing a "simple web user interface"
            and end up with a home grown full fledged system.

            My recommendation is to install a real mailing list system where all
            these nuances have been taken care of. You'd need to install and learn
            a new system, but it will be worth the effort in the long run.
            http://www.postfix.org/addon.html#lists is a good starting point.
            --
            Cheers
            Petri
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 16, 2008
              Wietse,

              Petri Riihikallio wrote:
              >> I am trying to acheive a very simple mailing list for a client.
              >
              > A simple mailing list is a complicated matter. For example you would
              > need to handle non-delivery-notifications, out-of-office and vacation
              > easily create a loop between two autoresponders that generates thousands
              > of messages per hour. Once I was on a such "simple list". I had over
              > 3000 messages in my inbox when I un_subscribed. Oh, sub_scribing and
              > un_subscribing can also be a maintenance headache, let alone an archive
              > and search feature that some users will expect. Sooner than you realize
              > you'd be writing a "simple web user interface" and end up with a home
              > grown full fledged system.
              >
              > My recommendation is to install a real mailing list system where all
              > these nuances have been taken care of. You'd need to install and learn a
              > new system, but it will be worth the effort in the long run.
              > http://www.postfix.org/addon.html#lists is a good starting point.

              What about Sympa ???

              http://www.sympa.org/

              It's a very nice and complete mailing list manager, which doesn't appear
              in this web page.

              Maybe Wietse can add it to this web page ???

              Regards

              José-Marcio
            • Petri Riihikallio
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 16, 2008
                > What about Sympa ???
                >
                > http://www.sympa.org/
                >
                > It's a very nice and complete mailing list manager, which doesn't
                > appear in this web page.

                My first car was an old Citroên GS with hydro-pneumatic suspension and
                frills. I didn't have the money though, so I had to keep it working
                with my own skills. I'll never forget the lesson I learned of French
                engineering :oD

                Seriously, I have taken a look at Sympa and I quite like it. It would
                be a great choice for an ISP offering a mailing list service. The
                learning curve is quite steep though, so I wouldn't suggest it as the
                first alternative for a "simple mailing list". IMO it should be on the
                MLM list.

                The simplest choice might be SmartList (if ProcMail is available), but
                I don't want to start a war of pet MLMs.
                --
                Cheers
                Petri
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 16, 2008
                  Petri Riihikallio wrote:
                  >> What about Sympa ???

                  > My first car was an old Citroên GS with hydro-pneumatic suspension and
                  > frills. I didn't have the money though, so I had to keep it working with
                  > my own skills. I'll never forget the lesson I learned of French
                  > engineering :oD

                  Nice car ! 8-)

                  > Seriously, I have taken a look at Sympa and I quite like it. It would be
                  > a great choice for an ISP offering a mailing list service. The learning
                  > curve is quite steep though, so I wouldn't suggest it as the first
                  > alternative for a "simple mailing list". IMO it should be on the MLM list.
                  >
                  > The simplest choice might be SmartList (if ProcMail is available), but I
                  > don't want to start a war of pet MLMs.

                  I agree with you ! And that's the goal of my message - to suggest Wietse
                  to include it.
                • Jeremy Bowen
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 6, 2012
                    Hi all

                    I have a virtual alias which currently forwards to a list of email
                    addresses however this is getting unwieldy. (This is one address
                    amongst a bunch of other virtual aliases on multiple virtual domains).
                    eg.
                    /etc/postfix/virtual contains:
                    mylist@mydomain address1, address2, address3 etc...

                    I would like to setup a REALLY simple mailing list and don't want to go
                    down the mailman route. Ideally I would like to supply a simple text
                    file containing a list of email addresses which I could reference
                    somehow. This text file could be edited by someone with limited skill,
                    either on the server, or uploaded by FTP/scp, and used by Postfix.

                    Is this even possible or am I going about this the wrong way ?
                    Thanks in advance.

                  • Patrick Ben Koetter
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 6, 2012

                      Use <http://www.snertsoft.com/sendmail/wimp/>. Use it with caution. ;)