Re: Postfix Monitoring

  • Randy Ramsdell
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2008
      Linux Addict wrote:
      > Hello there, I have postfix setup up and running. We are going to a
      > very very critical mail box to the setup. I am looking for a best
      > monitoring method(I have nagios) so that we dont miss any mails.
      >
      > Along with regular metrics like monitoring port 25, health check of
      > mysql, mail queue and so on, I want to..
      >
      > 1.send and receive a test mail to the mailbox every 5 minutes, if not
      > trigger a alert
      > 2. If the mailbox messages count reach certain no, then trigger a alarm.
      >
      > What I am looking from the group is the best practices to monitor a
      > critical mailbox and how to achieve the above two items.
      >
      > Thank you very much.
      >
      > ~LA

      We use nagios for this. We send a message and if the server doesn't
      receive the message in a certain amount of time, we take corrective
      measures.
    • Doug Lochart
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1, 2008
        I am a novice at this but with Nagios couldn't you create another
        mailbox that would only get test mails from nagios. Then you could
        have Nagios watch the mail file for mtime adjustments. You have to
        correlate the fact that it is a different mailbox than the one you are
        interested in but if they are on the same server it might be
        acceptable.

        Doug
      • Linux Addict
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 1, 2008
          On Feb 1, 2008 2:25 PM, Doug Lochart <dlochart@...> wrote:
          > I am a novice at this but with Nagios couldn't you create another
          > mailbox that would only get test mails from nagios. Then you could
          > have Nagios watch the mail file for mtime adjustments. You have to
          > correlate the fact that it is a different mailbox than the one you are
          > interested in but if they are on the same server it might be
          > acceptable.
          >
          > Doug

          Mike,

          WE are all Nagios shop though I will keep Zappix as an option and give
          it a shot finally. I dont know if you are familiar with SiteScope. It
          has an option where you can specify the mail servers so it sends a
          test mail every X minutes. Throws an alert upon a failure. I am
          looking for a equivalent open source option.

          Randy,

          Thats what I am looking for. Do you have a special nagios plugin to do
          or some script. I cant find any info on both nagios and groundworks
          forums. Whatever the case, please send me the details. thank you.

          Doug,

          I don't know if its possible in Nagios.

          nytcrwlr70,

          Thanks for the link
          http://www.zenoss.com/community/docs/howtos/monitoring-email-delivery-and-receipt/
          I will give it a shot with this one too..

          Cheers, LA
          Go PATS!!
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 1, 2008
            Linux Addict wrote:
            > On Feb 1, 2008 2:25 PM, Doug Lochart <dlochart@...> wrote:
            >
            >> I am a novice at this but with Nagios couldn't you create another
            >> mailbox that would only get test mails from nagios. Then you could
            >> have Nagios watch the mail file for mtime adjustments. You have to
            >> correlate the fact that it is a different mailbox than the one you are
            >> interested in but if they are on the same server it might be
            >> acceptable.
            >>
            >> Doug
            >>

            > Mike,
            >
            > WE are all Nagios shop though I will keep Zappix

            zappix? I want this for my TV, now :)

            > as an option and give
            > it a shot finally. I dont know if you are familiar with SiteScope. It
            > has an option where you can specify the mail servers so it sends a
            > test mail every X minutes. Throws an alert upon a failure. I am
            > looking for a equivalent open source option.
            >
            > Randy,
            >
            > Thats what I am looking for. Do you have a special nagios plugin to do
            > or some script. I cant find any info on both nagios and groundworks
            > forums. Whatever the case, please send me the details. thank you.

            I am not aware of anything that will do what you want. you can implement
            it either in nagios or with cron. How to do it depends on how the said
            mailbox is used.
          • Linux Addict
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 5, 2008
              On Feb 2, 2008 7:43 AM, Tommi Virtanen <tv@...> wrote:
              > On Fri, Feb 01, 2008 at 03:19:34PM -0500, Linux Addict wrote:
              > > WE are all Nagios shop though I will keep Zappix as an option and give
              > > it a shot finally. I dont know if you are familiar with SiteScope. It
              > > has an option where you can specify the mail servers so it sends a
              > > test mail every X minutes. Throws an alert upon a failure. I am
              > > looking for a equivalent open source option.
              >
              > I wrote this 3 years ago, just for that:
              >
              > http://packages.debian.org/unstable/devel/mailping
              >
              > --

              Thanks Everyone. I used the below link and its working satisfactorily.

              http://apricoti.pbwiki.com/NagiosCheckEmailDelivery

              Cheers, LA