Re: blank line before the headers

    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 31, 2008
      On Thu, Jan 31, 2008 at 11:32:53AM -0500, Val Polyakov wrote:

      > Every so often (it's sporadic), for whatever reason, postfix puts a blank line
      > before the headers in an email message..
      >
      > POP can't handle that, and we need to open up the user's mailbox
      > (/var/mail/username) and eelete the very first line in the file, which is a
      > blank line.
      >
      > The problem appears to have no pattern to it. It happens at seemingly random
      > intervals, with different senders / recipients

      You need to show the relevant technical information about this
      problem. Sample message headers. Your configuration. What delivery agent
      you are using, the mailbox locking scheme. What POP software you are
      using. ...

    • Charles Marcus
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 31, 2008
        Sending to list to close out this thread...

        Val Polyakov, on 1/31/2008 11:46 AM, said the following:
        >>> Every so often (it's sporadic), for whatever reason, postfix puts a blank
        >>> line before the headers in an email message..

        >> You wouldn't by any chance be using dovecot 0.99.x?

        > yea, why?

        Because this is a very well known bug/problem with that old version of
        dovecot.

        So, its not postfix doing this.

        The solution is to upgrade dovecot - there are a whole bunch of reasons
        to do so, as it has improved so much.

        Just be sure to carefully follow the upgrade instructions...

        If you have

        --

        Best regards,

        Charles
      • Val Polyakov
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 31, 2008
          В сообщении от Thursday 31 January 2008 12:04:33 Charles Marcus написал(а):
          > Sending to list to close out this thread...

          > >> You wouldn't by any chance be using dovecot 0.99.x?
          > >
          > > yea, why?
          >
          > Because this is a very well known bug/problem with that old version of
          > dovecot.
          >
          > So, its not postfix doing this.
          >
          > The solution is to upgrade dovecot - there are a whole bunch of reasons
          > to do so, as it has improved so much.
          >
          > Just be sure to carefully follow the upgrade instructions...
          >
          > If you have

          the latest stable version for dovecot that I see is 1.0.10 .. to your
          knowledge: would this version fix this problem?
        • Charles Marcus
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 31, 2008
            Taking this private because it is now OT to the postfix list...

            On 1/31/2008, Val Polyakov (vpolyakov@...) wrote:
            > the latest stable version for dovecot that I see is 1.0.10 .. to your
            > knowledge: would this version fix this problem?

            Not sure what was unclear about my last response. This problem was fixed
            a LONG time ago... so yes.

            If your config isn't very complex, you may want to start with the new
            1.1 branch which is in beta, about to go RC...

            But either way, like I said, be sure to read all of the upgrade
            instructions:

            http://tinyurl.com/23pvb3

            --

            Best regards,

            Charles
          • Charles Marcus
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 31, 2008
              Charles Marcus, on 1/31/2008 12:28 PM, said the following:
              > Taking this private because it is now OT to the postfix list...

              Gack! Sorry...

              --

              Best regards,

              Charles
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 31, 2008
                Val Polyakov:
                > Every so often (it's sporadic), for whatever reason, postfix puts a blank line
                > before the headers in an email message..
                >
                > POP can't handle that, and we need to open up the user's mailbox
                > (/var/mail/username) and eelete the very first line in the file, which is a
                > blank line.
                >
                > The problem appears to have no pattern to it. It happens at seemingly random
                > intervals, with different senders / recipients
                >
                > Any ideas on how to fix this?

                I suspect that you have a mailbox locking problem.

                What locking mechanism does Postfix use?
                Use the command:
                postconf mailbox_delivery_lock

                What locking mechanism does the POP server use?

                If you use GNU POP then only the "dotlock" mechanism works, because
                they screwed up the handling of kernel locks.