Overloaded Mail Queue

  • Jake Solid
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 2, 2008
      Hello,

      I'm currently running postifx on a CentOS 4 server. Sometimes the
      mailq shows a total of approximately 500 requests causing the end
      users to not be able to connect to the POP server and receive email.
      How can I avoid this issue? Is there a way to increase the performance
      of postfix?

      Thanks in advanced.
    • Leonardo Rodrigues Magalhães
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 2, 2008
        Jake Solid escreveu:
        > Hello,
        >
        > I'm currently running postifx on a CentOS 4 server. Sometimes the
        > mailq shows a total of approximately 500 requests causing the end
        > users to not be able to connect to the POP server and receive email.
        > How can I avoid this issue? Is there a way to increase the performance
        > of postfix?

        postfix has NOTHING to do with your POP3 server. If some postfix
        overload is braking your POP3 daemon, then you're probably running out
        of linux resources and thus need some tweaking (more hardware or
        software tweaking) on your whole OS, not only postfix.

        500 requests on the queue are not that much. On servers with lots of
        users, this would be considered completly normal. Even much more than
        500 would be normal depending on the number of users. But for a few
        users system, maybe that's too much.

        First of all .... you need to tell us WHY your messages are stucked
        on the queue. Are they there because postfix is slowly-processing them
        or they are there because they are being slowly-delivered to/delayed by
        their destination servers ??? We can't figure that out, you need to tell
        us this.

        if postfix is processing the messages but they can't be delivered to
        the internet, for example, because of a slow internet connection, then
        there's NOTHING postfix could do for that.

        Give us some more informations and maybe we can help you :)

        --

        Atenciosamente / Sincerily,
        Leonardo Rodrigues

        gertrudes@...
        My SPAMTRAP, do not email it
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 2, 2008
          Jake Solid wrote:
          > Hello,
          >
          > I'm currently running postifx on a CentOS 4 server. Sometimes the
          > mailq shows a total of approximately 500 requests causing the end
          > users to not be able to connect to the POP server and receive email.

          use maildir format.

          > How can I avoid this issue? Is there a way to increase the performance
          > of postfix?
        • Ralf Hildebrandt
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 2, 2008
            * Jake Solid <richardsolid@...>:
            > Hello,
            >
            > I'm currently running postifx on a CentOS 4 server. Sometimes the
            > mailq shows a total of approximately 500 requests causing the end
            > users to not be able to connect to the POP server and receive email.

            Postfix doesn't do POP

            --
            Ralf Hildebrandt (Ralf.Hildebrandt@...) plonk@...
            http://www.arschkrebs.de
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 2, 2008
              Jake Solid:
              > Hello,
              >
              > I'm currently running postifx on a CentOS 4 server. Sometimes the
              > mailq shows a total of approximately 500 requests causing the end
              > users to not be able to connect to the POP server and receive email.
              > How can I avoid this issue? Is there a way to increase the performance
              > of postfix?

              I can only speculate: your content filter is stuck.

              If you want useful feedback, follow instructions in line 1 of
              the mailing list welcome message.

              Wietse

              1 TO REPORT A PROBLEM see http://www.postfix.org/DEBUG_README.html#mail
              2
              3 TO (UN)SUBSCRIBE see http://www.postfix.org/lists.html
              4
              5 Thank you for using Postfix.
            • Jake Solid
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 2, 2008
                Messages are being slowly-delivered to and delayed by their
                destination servers. We have few sales reps that send emails to
                registered users. Some of these registered users use email addresses
                that are no longer in use.

                When they send the emails a lot of the emails end up in the queue like
                the following:

                (delivery temporarily suspended: connect to
                outside.server.com[1.2.3.4]: Connection timed out)

                When this happens, the users cannot connect to the POP server to
                retrieve emails.

                How can I workaround this issue? At least how can I tweak the server
                to allow more resources in case this happens?

                Thanks in advanced.
              • Jake Solid
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 2, 2008

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 2, 2008
                    Jake Solid escreveu:
                    > Messages are being slowly-delivered to and delayed by their
                    > destination servers. We have few sales reps that send emails to
                    > registered users. Some of these registered users use email addresses
                    > that are no longer in use.
                    >
                    > When they send the emails a lot of the emails end up in the queue like
                    > the following:
                    >
                    > (delivery temporarily suspended: connect to
                    > outside.server.com[1.2.3.4]: Connection timed out)

                    'connection timed out' usually will be caused by your internet
                    connection being saturated, which you can easily identify on the graphs
                    you should have of your available/used bandwidth. Is your internet link
                    saturated ??? If yes, there lies your problem. If yes ... is it being
                    saturated by email traffic or by some other traffic, like HTTP or P2P ??
                    Note you will have email problems if you get your link saturated by any
                    other traffic .... you can have a very low email traffic but still have
                    timed out problems if your link is saturated. is link saturated your
                    problem ?? If yes, get a bigger link or lower your link usage.

                    timed outs can be generated by the remote server getting problems
                    with saturated connections or overload as well, in which case there's
                    NOTHING you can do about it.

                    > When this happens, the users cannot connect to the POP server to
                    > retrieve emails.

                    which part of the 'postfix doesnt do pop' or 'postfix has nothing to
                    do with pop3' you didnt understand ?
                    > How can I workaround this issue? At least how can I tweak the server
                    > to allow more resources in case this happens?

                    stop sending messages to addresses which no longer exists would be
                    an intelligent first step.

                    --

                    Atenciosamente / Sincerily,
                    Leonardo Rodrigues

                    gertrudes@...
                    My SPAMTRAP, do not email it
                  • Jake Solid
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 2, 2008
                      How can I increase the resources of the server so when the queue gets
                      overloaded users can still retrieve emails?

                      At this point I know postfix has nothing to do with POP but if you can
                      point me in the right direction I will appreciate.

                      thanks.

                      On Jan 2, 2008 10:39 AM, Leonardo Rodrigues Magalhães
                      <leolistas@...> wrote:

                      > Jake Solid escreveu:
                      > > Messages are being slowly-delivered to and delayed by their
                      > > destination servers. We have few sales reps that send emails to
                      > > registered users. Some of these registered users use email addresses
                      > > that are no longer in use.
                      > >
                      > > When they send the emails a lot of the emails end up in the queue like
                      > > the following:
                      > >
                      > > (delivery temporarily suspended: connect to
                      > > outside.server.com[1.2.3.4]: Connection timed out)
                      > >

                      > 'connection timed out' usually will be caused by your internet
                      > connection being saturated, which you can easily identify on the graphs
                      > you should have of your available/used bandwidth. Is your internet link
                      > saturated ??? If yes, there lies your problem. If yes ... is it being
                      > saturated by email traffic or by some other traffic, like HTTP or P2P ??
                      > Note you will have email problems if you get your link saturated by any
                      > other traffic .... you can have a very low email traffic but still have
                      > timed out problems if your link is saturated. is link saturated your
                      > problem ?? If yes, get a bigger link or lower your link usage.
                      >
                      > timed outs can be generated by the remote server getting problems
                      > with saturated connections or overload as well, in which case there's
                      > NOTHING you can do about it.
                      >
                      > > When this happens, the users cannot connect to the POP server to
                      > > retrieve emails.
                      > >
                      > which part of the 'postfix doesnt do pop' or 'postfix has nothing to
                      > do with pop3' you didnt understand ?
                      > > How can I workaround this issue? At least how can I tweak the server
                      > > to allow more resources in case this happens?
                      > >

                      > stop sending messages to addresses which no longer exists would be
                      > an intelligent first step.
                      >
                      > --
                      >

                      > Atenciosamente / Sincerily,
                      > Leonardo Rodrigues
                      > Solutti Tecnologia
                      > http://www.solutti.com.br
                      >
                      > Minha armadilha de SPAM, NÃO mandem email
                      > gertrudes@...
                      > My SPAMTRAP, do not email it

                    • D G Teed
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 2, 2008
                        No one will help you without your providing more
                        diagnostics.  When a box is full, no one can magically
                        tell you how to get more stuff in the box.  Only you can
                        analyze what is going on and make more room.

                        Although Wietse's email seems short, cryptic and
                        slightly acerbic it is actually very helpful.

                        He provided a link to Postfix problem reporting, and this
                        included a link to the Postfix Bottleneck analysis.
                        That document includes info on how to analyze what
                        is using up resources on your machine :
                        http://www.postfix.org/QSHAPE_README.html
                        The document at :
                        also discusses how to report your configuration.

                        Only with a picture of what YOU HAVE can anyone suggest
                        improvements.

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 2, 2008
                          Jake Solid wrote:
                          > How can I increase the resources of the server so when the queue gets
                          > overloaded users can still retrieve emails?
                          >
                          > At this point I know postfix has nothing to do with POP but if you can
                          > point me in the right direction I will appreciate.

                          This is like "Doctor, give me some meds please"...

                          as long as you don't know why the connections slow down, there is no
                          chance to solve the problem.
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jan 2, 2008
                            Jake Solid:
                            > How can I increase the resources of the server so when the queue gets
                            > overloaded users can still retrieve emails?
                            >
                            > At this point I know postfix has nothing to do with POP but if you can
                            > point me in the right direction I will appreciate.

                            When connections time out in large amounts, you have networking
                            problems. This may also explain why people can't reach the PIP
                            server.

                            Time to trouble shoot the netowrk. Is the problem local (bad ethernet
                            cable, bad switch, bad router) or remote (bad WAN link, ...)