Re: Compiling problems - Dovecot SASL + SSL/TLS

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 2, 2008
      Stephen McHenry:
      > On Jan 1, 2008 4:49 PM, Wietse Venema <wietse@...> wrote:
      > > Stephen McHenry:
      > > > I've been trying to do a fairly major upgrade to our mail servers,
      > > > switching to Dovecot (IMAP+SSL) and adding both SASL (we previously
      > > > used POP before SMTP) and SSL/TLS to Postfix (not trying to do
      > > > anything overly complicated with the TLS - just trying to avoid
      > > > sending AUTH passwords in the clear). The Dovecot part works fine. On
      > > > the Postfix side, I tried a "small steps" approach, first adding SASL,
      > > > and then adding TLS to that. The SASL part works fine. Compiles,
      > > > installs, works great.
      > > >
      > > > When I went to add the SSL/TLS part, I did (per the instructions) a
      > > > "make tidy" followed by:
      > > >
      > > > make makefiles CCARGS="-DUSE_SASL_AUTH
      > > > -DDEF_SERVER_SASL_TYPE=\"dovecot\" -DUSE_TLS -I/usr/local/include" \
      > > > AUXLIBS="-L/usr/local/lib -lssl -lcrypto"
      > >
      > > You did not follow the SASL_README instructions.
      > >
      > > % make makefiles CCARGS='-DUSE_SASL_AUTH -
      > > DDEF_SERVER_SASL_TYPE=\"dovecot\"'
      > >
      > > Wietse
      >
      > Ah. Yes! (Drat!). Thanks.
      >
      > Now, I'm running up against the linking problem that was in the second
      > half (when I tried SSL/TLS w/o SASL). It appears to be looking for
      > something it can't find, but I'm not sure what lib dlsym, dlerror,
      > dlopen and dlclose are in...

      Postfix builds out of the box on Linux. Your compilation environment
      appears to be incomplete. I suggest you upgrade to a complete one.

      Wietse
    • Stephen McHenry
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 2, 2008
        On Jan 2, 2008 4:02 AM, Wietse Venema <wietse@...> wrote:
        > Stephen McHenry:
        > > On Jan 1, 2008 4:49 PM, Wietse Venema <wietse@...> wrote:
        > > > Stephen McHenry:

        > > > You did not follow the SASL_README instructions.
        > > >
        > > > % make makefiles CCARGS='-DUSE_SASL_AUTH -
        > > > DDEF_SERVER_SASL_TYPE=\"dovecot\"'
        > > >
        > > > Wietse
        > >
        > > Ah. Yes! (Drat!). Thanks.
        > >
        > > Now, I'm running up against the linking problem that was in the second
        > > half (when I tried SSL/TLS w/o SASL). It appears to be looking for
        > > something it can't find, but I'm not sure what lib dlsym, dlerror,
        > > dlopen and dlclose are in...
        >
        > Postfix builds out of the box on Linux. Your compilation environment
        > appears to be incomplete. I suggest you upgrade to a complete one.
        >
        > Wietse

        Hmm... well, apparently a freshly built "complete" Fedora 5
        installation is also incomplete, as it failed there too....

        But, I did figure it out, and thought posting the solution here might
        help anyone else who has this problem...

        Turns out, it was not finding libdl.a.

        libdl.a _was_ present in /usr/lib, so it was just a matter of adding
        it.to the AUXLIBS and that cleared up the problem.

        --
        Stephen

        Stephen McHenry
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 2, 2008
          Stephen McHenry:
          > > > Now, I'm running up against the linking problem that was in the second
          > > > half (when I tried SSL/TLS w/o SASL). It appears to be looking for
          > > > something it can't find, but I'm not sure what lib dlsym, dlerror,
          > > > dlopen and dlclose are in...
          > >
          > > Postfix builds out of the box on Linux. Your compilation environment
          > > appears to be incomplete. I suggest you upgrade to a complete one.
          >
          > Hmm... well, apparently a freshly built "complete" Fedora 5
          > installation is also incomplete, as it failed there too....

          FYI, Fedora Core 5 has not been fresh for three releases.

          > But, I did figure it out, and thought posting the solution here might
          > help anyone else who has this problem...
          >
          > Turns out, it was not finding libdl.a.
          >
          > libdl.a _was_ present in /usr/lib, so it was just a matter of adding
          > it.to the AUXLIBS and that cleared up the problem.

          I routinely build Postfix on Linux without needing to add libdl.a
          manually to the library list, and I have not heard from other people
          who need to do that, either.