postfix/smtp connection refused

  • Peter Heybrock
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2008
      Hi,

      I have just upgraded the OS on my home server from fedora 2 to fedora 8. I have also upgraded from postfix 2.1.5 to 2.4.5.

      I have kept most of the postfix config unchanged but although I can successfully run 'telnet localhost 25', I cannot run 'telnet <posfix host> 25' from any other machine in my network. I get 'could not open the connection to the host, on port 25: Connect failed' message on the client. There are no error messages in the server logs: maillog/messages/secure etc.

      Here is what I have checked:
      - I think have eliminated the possibility of firewall issues on both the client and the server end as I can telnet to other ports and I see nothing in log files and I can telnet on port 25 to an old test postfix server I have running on another host. There is nothing reported in the firewall logs.
      - I have tried adding the -v flag to the postfix inet smtpd in master.cf but only get logging when connecting from localhost i.e. I'm pretty sure that smtpd is never successfully starting when trying to connect remotely
      - I have switched SELinux to permissive mode - no difference
      - The only difference that I can see is that the entries in the /etc/pam.d/smtp.postfix file has changed but even if I revert to the old settings, it makes no difference.
      - After making changes, I have restarted services and even rebooted the server

      Can anyone please offer any suggestions as to what else I can check and/or how I can get more information from the /usr/libexec/postfix/master process as to why it won't start smtpd?

      Thanks

      P.S. I am not a Linux/network expert so I've held off from the suggestions to run tcpdump, truss or gdb

      Don't get caught with egg on your face. Play Chicktionary! Check it out!
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 1, 2008
        Peter Heybrock:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I have just upgraded the OS on my home server from fedora 2 to fedora 8. I
        >- have also upgraded from postfix 2.1.5 to 2.4.5.
        >
        > I have kept most of the postfix config unchanged but although I can succes
        >-sfully run 'telnet localhost 25', I cannot run 'telnet <posfix host> 25' fro
        >-m any other machine in my network. I get 'could not open the connection to t
        >-he host, on port 25: Connect failed' message on the client. There are no err
        >-or messages in the server logs: maillog/messages/secure etc.

        Use netstat or "lsof -ni" to find out what addresses Postfix listens on.
        Some Linux distros configure Postfix to listen on 127.0.0.1 only. That
        is not how it is distributed originally.

        Wietse
      • Peter Heybrock
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 1, 2008
          Ah ha - lsof shows:
          master    2180    root   11u  IPv4   8614       TCP 127.0.0.1:smtp (LISTEN)

          where do I configure it to listen to other IPs on the LAN?

          Thanks

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 1, 2008
            Peter Heybrock:

            > Ah ha - lsof shows:
            > master 2180 root 11u IPv4 8614 TCP 127.0.0.1:smtp (LISTEN)
            > where do I configure it to listen to other IPs on the LAN?

            Look at the output from "postconf -n", then become familiar with
            Postfix documentation.

            "man 5 postconf", in particular. It should be pretty obvious.

            Wietse
          • Peter Heybrock
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 1, 2008
              OK thanks

              I appreciate your help

              Pete

              > Subject: Re: postfix/smtp connection refused
              > To: postfix-users@...
              > Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2008 17:30:44 -0500
              > From: wietse@...
              >
              > Peter Heybrock:
              > >
              > > Ah ha - lsof shows:
              > > master 2180 root 11u IPv4 8614 TCP 127.0.0.1:smtp (LISTEN)
              > > where do I configure it to listen to other IPs on the LAN?
              >
              > Look at the output from "postconf -n", then become familiar with
              > Postfix documentation.
              >
              > "man 5 postconf", in particular. It should be pretty obvious.
              >
              > Wietse

              i’m is proud to present Cause Effect, a series about real people making a difference. Learn more