Re: SMTP gateway and multiple delivery hosts. Am I crazy?

  • Mark Krenz
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 1, 2008
      Ok, I'm not crazy (phew!), it turns out that I needed to have the
      virtual_alias_maps setup on the delivery machines as well and have it
      point to the same database that was used on the gateway machine. Either
      I didn't understand that from someone's instructions, or its not really
      mentioned anywhere. I thought about that at one point but I thought it
      would cause a loop.

      So now I can send mail from one delivery host to another unix user on
      another delivery host and it does its thing properly.

      But now I'm having trouble getting virtual mailboxes to delivery
      right. Before I turned on virtual_alias_maps on the delivery hosts, I
      was able to send e-mail to the virtual mailboxes through the gateway or
      on the delivery host that it would go to, but now with
      virtual_alias_maps turned on in the delivery host, I get the following
      error when I try to send to a virtual mailbox.

      <virtualuser%domain.com@...>): User unknown in virtual alias table

      I've replaced the actual values in this e-mail to keep them private.

      Can virtual_alias_maps and virtual_mailbox_maps work on the same
      machine?

      Thanks,
      Mark

      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 1, 2008
        Mark Krenz wrote:
        > Ok, I'm not crazy (phew!), it turns out that I needed to have the
        > virtual_alias_maps setup on the delivery machines as well and have it
        > point to the same database that was used on the gateway machine. Either
        > I didn't understand that from someone's instructions, or its not really
        > mentioned anywhere.

        I said:
        you can configure all hosts to use the same rewrite maps.

        maybe you were confused by "rewrite"...

        > I thought about that at one point but I thought it
        > would cause a loop.
        >
        > So now I can send mail from one delivery host to another unix user on
        > another delivery host and it does its thing properly.
        >
        > But now I'm having trouble getting virtual mailboxes to delivery
        > right. Before I turned on virtual_alias_maps on the delivery hosts, I
        > was able to send e-mail to the virtual mailboxes through the gateway or
        > on the delivery host that it would go to, but now with
        > virtual_alias_maps turned on in the delivery host, I get the following
        > error when I try to send to a virtual mailbox.
        >
        > <virtualuser%domain.com@...>): User unknown in virtual alias table

        why is deliveryhost.suso.org configured as a virtual alias domain?

        make sure virtual_alias_domains only contains virtual alias domains or
        is empty. if you have no virtual alias domains, then set
        virtual_alias_domains =

        > I've replaced the actual values in this e-mail to keep them private.
        >
        > Can virtual_alias_maps and virtual_mailbox_maps work on the same
        > machine?

        virtual_alias_maps work for any domain.