Postfix (?) acting strange

  • Christian High
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 31, 2007
      I am having an issue with a postfix mail server and would appreciate
      any advice on how to trouble shoot it. I am at this point completely
      lost. The problem we are having is that when a user tries to send a
      message they have a good chance of getting one of the following errors
      from their client

      1. the connection to the server was interrupted
      2. the connection to the server timed out

      this happens most of the time on the first try to send the message and
      in my testing a message will at some point go whether it is on the
      1st, 2nd, or even 3rd try.

      This is an inherited system and I nor anyone else currently employed
      knows much about it so what I am hoping is that someone on this list
      could help get started trouble shooting my system. I realize I have
      not given much info about the system but I am not really sure what is
      pertinent.

      Thanks

      cj
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 31, 2007
        Christian High:
        > I am having an issue with a postfix mail server and would appreciate
        > any advice on how to trouble shoot it. I am at this point completely
        > lost. The problem we are having is that when a user tries to send a
        > message they have a good chance of getting one of the following errors
        > from their client
        >
        > 1. the connection to the server was interrupted
        > 2. the connection to the server timed out
        >
        > this happens most of the time on the first try to send the message and
        > in my testing a message will at some point go whether it is on the
        > 1st, 2nd, or even 3rd try.
        >
        > This is an inherited system and I nor anyone else currently employed
        > knows much about it so what I am hoping is that someone on this list
        > could help get started trouble shooting my system. I realize I have
        > not given much info about the system but I am not really sure what is
        > pertinent.

        Have you looked at the Postfix logs?

        http://www.postfix.org/DEBUG_README.html#logging

        If that produces no output, search the logfile for records with
        the SMTP client's IP address. If the client does not show up then
        they are connecting to a different server.

        See also the LINE 1 of the mailing list welcome message, which you
        appear to have totally ignored.

        Wietse

        1 TO REPORT A PROBLEM see http://www.postfix.org/DEBUG_README.html#mail

        Thank you for using Postfix.
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 1, 2008
          Christian High wrote:
          > I am having an issue with a postfix mail server and would appreciate
          > any advice on how to trouble shoot it. I am at this point completely
          > lost. The problem we are having is that when a user tries to send a
          > message they have a good chance of getting one of the following errors
          > from their client
          >
          > 1. the connection to the server was interrupted
          > 2. the connection to the server timed out
          >
          > this happens most of the time on the first try to send the message and
          > in my testing a message will at some point go whether it is on the
          > 1st, 2nd, or even 3rd try.

          guess of the day: their anti-virus/firewall blocks them or is too slow
          (sometimes people "pause" Kaspersky and don't realize that they need to
          reconnect after that)

          postfix logs all connections. if you don't see the log, then either you
          have a broken syslog (and you need to fix it first) or the connection
          never made it to postfix. in either case, it's not a postfix issue.

          see the DEBUG README for infos on how to debug the issue, and how to
          report problems or ask for help on this list.