Re: postfix milter buglet?

  • Jose-Marcio Martins da Cruz
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 30, 2007
      Wietse Venema wrote:
      > Brent Verner:
      >> Hi,
      >>
      >> While developing a milter, I noticed that postfix doesn't send the
      >> expected argument to the xxfi_connect callback; when a client's IP address
      >> doesn't have a PTR whose name resolves back to the ip, postfix is sending
      >> "unknown" instead of what the libmilter documentation states ("[a.b.c.d]").
      >
      > Actually, they changed the Milter documentation over time. The
      > version that I used has no text like "none of the IP addresses of
      > the resolved host name matches the original IP address".
      >
      > Before this documentation change, Sendmail would send hostnames
      > that don't resolve to the client IP address. Therefore Postfix
      > could provide Sendmail compatible hostname information, because
      > Postfix doesn't use hostnames that don't resolve to the client IP
      > address.

      They found an incoherence between documentation and real behaviour, and
      they corrected both.

      > I can update Postfix 2.5 to send [ipaddress]. It does not seem
      > important enough to stop the press and issue patches for code
      > released back in 2006.

      It's good enough for me ! Thanks !

      As long it's possible it's better to have the same behaviour for all
      MTAs supporting libmilter as it avoids guessing which MTA is on the
      other side (it's what I'm doing to solve this issue). Code for doing
      this for N (>> 2) MTAs can become too ugly.

      Thanks again and happy new year for all of you !

      José-Marcio

      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 30, 2007
        Jose-Marcio Martins da Cruz:
        > Wietse Venema wrote:
        > > Brent Verner:
        > >> Hi,
        > >>
        > >> While developing a milter, I noticed that postfix doesn't send the
        > >> expected argument to the xxfi_connect callback; when a client's IP address
        > >> doesn't have a PTR whose name resolves back to the ip, postfix is sending
        > >> "unknown" instead of what the libmilter documentation states ("[a.b.c.d]").
        > >
        > > Actually, they changed the Milter documentation over time. The
        > > version that I used has no text like "none of the IP addresses of
        > > the resolved host name matches the original IP address".
        > >
        > > Before this documentation change, Sendmail would send hostnames
        > > that don't resolve to the client IP address. Therefore Postfix
        > > could provide Sendmail compatible hostname information, because
        > > Postfix doesn't use hostnames that don't resolve to the client IP
        > > address.
        >
        > They found an incoherence between documentation and real behaviour, and
        > they corrected both.
        >

        > > I can update Postfix 2.5 to send [ipaddress]. It does not seem
        > > important enough to stop the press and issue patches for code
        > > released back in 2006.
        >
        > It's good enough for me ! Thanks !

        This is in the Postfix-2.5-20071229 development release.

        > As long it's possible it's better to have the same behaviour for all
        > MTAs supporting libmilter as it avoids guessing which MTA is on the
        > other side (it's what I'm doing to solve this issue). Code for doing
        > this for N (>> 2) MTAs can become too ugly.
        >
        > Thanks again and happy new year for all of you !

        The MTA type is available as macro {v} or v. The value is
        configured with the milter_macro_v configuration parameter.

        Default settings:

        milter_macro_v = $mail_name $mail_version
        mail_name = Postfix