Re: Bounce Messages

  • Linux Addict
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 27, 2007
      On Dec 27, 2007 7:30 AM, mouss <mlist.only@...> wrote:
      Mihira Fernando wrote:
      > On Thu December 27 2007, Linux Addict wrote:
      >> On Dec 26, 2007 10:41 PM, Sahil Tandon <sahil@...> wrote:
      >>> * Linux Addict < linuxaddict7@...> [2007-12-26 22:32:19 -0500]:
      >>> Please stop top-posting and clarify your question.
      >>>
      >>>         http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top-posting#Top-posting
      >>>
      >>> --
      >>> Sahil Tandon < sahil@...>
      >> Sorry about that. I didn't know. Thanks for being kind.
      >>
      >> I have 2 virtual domains. Both of them have postmaster user. But the
      >> bounces for the specific virtual domains are not routed to their
      >> respective postmaster, but are going to the postmaster of $mydomain.
      >> Wondering if any configuration is required.

      bounces generally go the original sender, not to postmaster. if you are
      thinking of bounce_notice_recipient, then reread the doc: it's a global
      address, and it should not be abused.

      Ok. if its global address, then it makes sense.

      what is bounce_notify?

      sorry. I meant notify_classes. I updated to the one below from default.
      notify_classes = bounce, delay, policy, protocol, resource, software

      > It'll be a lot easier to use a mailing list manager such as Mailman for this
      > type of thing. Mailman has this very feature where it will automatically
      > unsubscribe bouncing addresses while notifying the list manager of these
      > failures.

      when mail is sent by an application that do more than sending email,
      there is no easy way to integrate with mailman. This is certainly
      possible, but it may require some amount of work. There seems to be a
      need for some API (which may consist of documentation!) to integrate
      applications with mailing list managers. This way, application
      developpers will not need to reinvent the wheel. (Note that the problem
      here is not a system administration one: a sysadmin can certainly
      integrate whatever stuff with a list manager, provided he is given some
      way to access the mail addresses!)

      Thanks Mouss. Just wondering what will best way to handle bounces and user replies.