Re: Upgrade from 1.1 to 2.x

  • Alexandre Bouillot
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 27, 2007
      Hi,

      The information in the release note are very limited and don't give any guidance. It doesn't even say it will occur by magic, which is more or less the case, I have to admit, as I upgrade without much hurdle.

      Some of the release notes mention upgrade from 1.X, some don't. By reading the release notes  for every sigle release, I didn't found any word of warning, but no words telling it's fine to do it this way from any version to 'this' version.

      Additionnaly, there is no indications in the log file about the update of the version. might be due to the verbose setting, but I think it could be valuable to have some mention of what have been changed, and what might/should be done on the config files whatever verbosity setting for the log.

      Anyway, thanks for you words, I've taken the risk of the update, and it went fine so far.

      Alexandre

      2007/12/26, Wietse Venema <wietse@...>:
      Alexandre Bouillot:
      > Hi,
      > I'm thinking to migrate the current mail server I'm running from 1.1 to a
      > more recent one. I haven't found any information about upgrading. The are
      > plenty about installing, but I would prefer to avoid ruining the current
      > installation and avoid making error with re-installation from scratch.
      >
      > Is there any indications, do/don't or advise about upgrading?

      DO read the RELEASE_NOTES files. There is one for every release.

      > Is a stop postfix / install newer package / start postfix enough ? Or is
      > there any special care, action to be taken?

      If you build from source, or if you use a competently packaged
      version, that would suffice.

      However, DO NOT copy your OLD main.cf etc. files over the NEW
      files. Instead, let the install procedure upgrade the old files.