Re: Installation Questions

  • Sahil Tandon
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 2, 2007
      * Joseph L. Casale <jcasale@...> [2007-12-02 10:46:51 -0700]:

      > Hi,
      > I am a new user to postfix and Linux. I am using CentOS 5 and even with a minimal installation, sendmail is installed with other applications dependant on it.
      >
      > I downloaded the postfix-2.5-20071130.tar.gz and compiled it then installed it making the user and group before. It stated that it removed sendmail as the default and now postfix is.
      >
      > How does one verify any dependency on sendmail so I can safely uninstall it?

      Postfix installs a Sendmail compatability interface, so you can safely remove the actual package.

      http://www.postfix.org/sendmail.1.html

      --
      Sahil Tandon <sahil@...>
    • Terry Carmen
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 2, 2007
        Sahil Tandon wrote:
        > Postfix installs a Sendmail compatability interface, so you can safely remove the actual package.
        >
        > http://www.postfix.org/sendmail.1.html

        More than that, you *must* remove it (or at least make sure it's not
        somewhere in your path or being referenced by anything).

        I chased a mail loop for a long time before someone here tipped me off.
        Leaving sendmail installed along with Postfix will drive you crazy.

        Terry
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 2, 2007
          Joseph L. Casale wrote:
          > Hi,
          > I am a new user to postfix and Linux. I am using CentOS 5 and even with a minimal installation, sendmail is installed with other applications dependant on it.
          >
          > I downloaded the postfix-2.5-20071130.tar.gz and compiled it then installed it making the user and group before. It stated that it removed sendmail as the default and now postfix is.
          >
          > How does one verify any dependency on sendmail so I can safely uninstall it?

          use /usr/sbin/alternatives to tell the system to use postfix sendmail
          commands. then you can remove Sendmail.
        • Brian Mathis
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 3, 2007
            Installing postfix on CentOS is a matter of:
            yum install postfix
            yum remove sendmail

            Those are the only commands you need to use. Unless you have a
            specific need to compile postfix, please use the yum/rpm packages
            instead.

            There is rarely a need to compile a package when using a distro like
            Centos, and compiling is actually a bad thing, as it will break the
            package management tools.

            On Dec 2, 2007 12:46 PM, Joseph L. Casale <jcasale@...> wrote:
            > Hi,
            > I am a new user to postfix and Linux. I am using CentOS 5 and even with a minimal installation, sendmail is installed with other applications dependant on it.
            >
            > I downloaded the postfix-2.5-20071130.tar.gz and compiled it then installed it making the user and group before. It stated that it removed sendmail as the default and now postfix is.
            >
            > How does one verify any dependency on sendmail so I can safely uninstall it?
            >
            > Thanks for the noob patience :)
            >
            > jlc

          • Brian Collins
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 3, 2007
              > Installing postfix on CentOS is a matter of:
              > yum install postfix
              > yum remove sendmail
              >
              > Those are the only commands you need to use. Unless you have a
              > specific need to compile postfix, please use the yum/rpm packages
              > instead.
              >
              > There is rarely a need to compile a package when using a distro like
              > Centos, and compiling is actually a bad thing, as it will break the
              > package management tools.

              There is a need if you want to use any features not built-in, or if you
              don't like the way RedHat (and thus CentOS) ships Postfix by default. They
              used to make it chroot out of the box; not sure whether they still do that.

              But even if you need to compile your own, it's easy enough with Simon Mudd's
              RPMs. He makes it very easy to built Postfix in an RPM-based system.

              --Brian
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 3, 2007
                Brian Mathis wrote:
                > Installing postfix on CentOS is a matter of:
                > yum install postfix
                > yum remove sendmail

                # yum install postfix
                postfix i386 2:2.2.10-1.1.el4.centos.mysql_pgsql.plus

                # postconf -a
                postconf: invalid option -- a

                so this doesn't support dovecot sasl, and only supports cyrus sasl:

                # ldd /usr/libexec/postfix/smtpd | grep sasl
                libsasl2.so.2 => /usr/lib/libsasl2.so.2 (0x0028c000)

                Compare to this:

                # rpm -q postfix
                postfix-2.4.3-1.rhel4
                # postconf -a
                dovecot

                > Those are the only commands you need to use. Unless you have a
                > specific need to compile postfix, please use the yum/rpm packages
                > instead.

                you can get an srpm from:
                http://ftp.wl0.org/official/2.4/SRPMS/
                and build an rpm. then either install the rpm or put it in a local yum
                repository and use yum.

                > There is rarely a need to compile a package when using a distro like
                > Centos, and compiling is actually a bad thing, as it will break the
                > package management tools.

                care must indeed be taken with regard to dependencies such as mysql,
                postgres, ldap, ... etc. otherwise, it is ok to rebuild postfix from
                sources. That said, building an rpm will keep package mgmt working
                correctly and would prevent problems if a dependency update requires a
                rebuild.
              • Brian Mathis
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 3, 2007
                  On Dec 3, 2007 10:51 AM, mouss <mlist.only@...> wrote:
                  > Brian Mathis wrote:
                  > > Installing postfix on CentOS is a matter of:
                  > > yum install postfix
                  > > yum remove sendmail
                  >
                  > # yum install postfix
                  > postfix i386 2:2.2.10-1.1.el4.centos.mysql_pgsql.plus
                  >
                  > # postconf -a
                  > postconf: invalid option -- a
                  >
                  > so this doesn't support dovecot sasl, and only supports cyrus sasl:
                  >
                  > # ldd /usr/libexec/postfix/smtpd | grep sasl
                  > libsasl2.so.2 => /usr/lib/libsasl2.so.2 (0x0028c000)
                  >
                  > Compare to this:
                  >
                  > # rpm -q postfix
                  > postfix-2.4.3-1.rhel4
                  > # postconf -a
                  > dovecot
                  >
                  > > Those are the only commands you need to use. Unless you have a
                  > > specific need to compile postfix, please use the yum/rpm packages
                  > > instead.
                  >
                  > you can get an srpm from:
                  > http://ftp.wl0.org/official/2.4/SRPMS/
                  > and build an rpm. then either install the rpm or put it in a local yum
                  > repository and use yum.
                  >
                  > > There is rarely a need to compile a package when using a distro like
                  > > Centos, and compiling is actually a bad thing, as it will break the
                  > > package management tools.
                  >
                  > care must indeed be taken with regard to dependencies such as mysql,
                  > postgres, ldap, ... etc. otherwise, it is ok to rebuild postfix from
                  > sources. That said, building an rpm will keep package mgmt working
                  > correctly and would prevent problems if a dependency update requires a
                  > rebuild.

                  As I said, "Unless you have a specific need". This user is new to
                  both Linux and postfix, and mentioned nothing of those specific needs.
                  The fact is that out of the box, the postfix package works just fine
                  for many uses.

                  As far as your version numbers, I'm not sure where you're getting
                  those. It looks like you might have the centosplus repository
                  enabled, which has packages that are not standard. The main repo has
                  the file: postfix-2.3.3-2.i386.rpm, and for me:

                  # postconf -a
                  cyrus
                  dovecot

                  This is on a CentOS 5.1 system.

                  Also, breaking the package management system should be seen as the
                  ultimate sin, not just a mere inconvenience. The package management
                  system is the very reason that one uses an enterprise-grade OS like
                  centos. I agree that if ABSOLUTELY necessary, one should compile to
                  an rpm first, then install the rpm.
                • Colin Campbell
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 3, 2007
                    Hi,

                    On Mon, 2007-12-03 at 11:30 -0500, Brian Mathis wrote:
                    > On Dec 3, 2007 10:51 AM, mouss <mlist.only@...> wrote:
                    > > Brian Mathis wrote:
                    > > > Installing postfix on CentOS is a matter of:
                    > > > yum install postfix
                    > > > yum remove sendmail
                    > >
                    > > # yum install postfix
                    > > postfix i386 2:2.2.10-1.1.el4.centos.mysql_pgsql.plus
                    > >
                    > > # postconf -a
                    > > postconf: invalid option -- a
                    > >
                    > > so this doesn't support dovecot sasl, and only supports cyrus sasl:
                    > >
                    > > # ldd /usr/libexec/postfix/smtpd | grep sasl
                    > > libsasl2.so.2 => /usr/lib/libsasl2.so.2 (0x0028c000)
                    > >
                    > > Compare to this:
                    > >
                    > > # rpm -q postfix
                    > > postfix-2.4.3-1.rhel4
                    > > # postconf -a
                    > > dovecot
                    > >
                    > > > Those are the only commands you need to use. Unless you have a
                    > > > specific need to compile postfix, please use the yum/rpm packages
                    > > > instead.
                    > >
                    > > you can get an srpm from:
                    > > http://ftp.wl0.org/official/2.4/SRPMS/
                    > > and build an rpm. then either install the rpm or put it in a local yum
                    > > repository and use yum.
                    > >
                    > > > There is rarely a need to compile a package when using a distro like
                    > > > Centos, and compiling is actually a bad thing, as it will break the
                    > > > package management tools.
                    > >
                    > > care must indeed be taken with regard to dependencies such as mysql,
                    > > postgres, ldap, ... etc. otherwise, it is ok to rebuild postfix from
                    > > sources. That said, building an rpm will keep package mgmt working
                    > > correctly and would prevent problems if a dependency update requires a
                    > > rebuild.
                    >

                    > As I said, "Unless you have a specific need". This user is new to
                    > both Linux and postfix, and mentioned nothing of those specific needs.
                    > The fact is that out of the box, the postfix package works just fine
                    > for many uses.
                    >
                    > As far as your version numbers, I'm not sure where you're getting
                    > those. It looks like you might have the centosplus repository
                    > enabled, which has packages that are not standard. The main repo has
                    > the file: postfix-2.3.3-2.i386.rpm, and for me:
                    >
                    > # postconf -a
                    > cyrus
                    > dovecot
                    >
                    > This is on a CentOS 5.1 system.
                    >
                    > Also, breaking the package management system should be seen as the
                    > ultimate sin, not just a mere inconvenience. The package management
                    > system is the very reason that one uses an enterprise-grade OS like
                    > centos. I agree that if ABSOLUTELY necessary, one should compile to
                    > an rpm first, then install the rpm.

                    Just a word of warning, having been bitten by this once: Some RHEL
                    versions contain packages with a dependency on "smtpdaemon". "mdadm" is
                    one such package. If you remove all SMTP packages, and install postfix
                    from source, the next time you run "yum update" or "up2date" you'll get
                    a dependency failure and most likely exim will be installed for you.

                    Colin

                    --
                    Colin Campbell
                    Unix Support/Postmaster/Hostmaster
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 3, 2007
                      Brian Mathis wrote:
                      > As I said, "Unless you have a specific need". This user is new to
                      > both Linux and postfix, and mentioned nothing of those specific needs.
                      > The fact is that out of the box, the postfix package works just fine
                      > for many uses.
                      >
                      > As far as your version numbers, I'm not sure where you're getting
                      > those. It looks like you might have the centosplus repository
                      > enabled, which has packages that are not standard.

                      it was on a 4.5 with centosplus lately enabled.

                      > The main repo has
                      > the file: postfix-2.3.3-2.i386.rpm, and for me:
                      >
                      > # postconf -a
                      > cyrus
                      > dovecot
                      >
                      > This is on a CentOS 5.1 system.
                      >
                      > Also, breaking the package management system should be seen as the
                      > ultimate sin, not just a mere inconvenience. The package management
                      > system is the very reason that one uses an enterprise-grade OS like
                      > centos. I agree that if ABSOLUTELY necessary, one should compile to
                      > an rpm first, then install the rpm.

                      while I agree on the principle, I don't think this should be taken
                      religiously. If the available packages are enough, there is of course no
                      reason to fight against problems that didn't exist. but sometimes, you
                      want a more recent package (subversion, dovecot, [php was an example
                      some time ago when only php4 was available in standard], postfix
                      [although the supplied versions are ok for most people] ...), or a
                      package with different options.

                      I wonder if it's worth to move to pkgsrc (I am bsd biased).
                    • Julian Cowley
                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 3, 2007
                        On Mon, 3 Dec 2007, Brian Mathis wrote:
                        > Installing postfix on CentOS is a matter of:
                        > yum install postfix
                        > yum remove sendmail
                        >
                        > Those are the only commands you need to use. Unless you have a
                        > specific need to compile postfix, please use the yum/rpm packages
                        > instead.

                        Rather than removing sendmail, it's better to use the Red Hat alternatives
                        system (type man alternatives for more info):

                        sudo /usr/sbin/alternatives --set mta /usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix

                        This sets up symbolic links so that the commands sendmail, mailq,
                        newaliases, etc. use the Postfix equivalents instead of the ones from the
                        sendmail package (the default out of the box).

                        > There is rarely a need to compile a package when using a distro like
                        > Centos, and compiling is actually a bad thing, as it will break the
                        > package management tools.

                        It doesn't break the package management tools, but merely bypasses them.
                      • Brian
                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 3, 2007
                          > > Those are the only commands you need to use. Unless you have a
                          > > specific need to compile postfix, please use the yum/rpm packages
                          > > instead.
                          >
                          > Rather than removing sendmail, it's better to use the Red Hat alternatives
                          > system (type man alternatives for more info):
                          > sudo /usr/sbin/alternatives --set mta /usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix
                          >
                          > This sets up symbolic links so that the commands sendmail, mailq,
                          > newaliases, etc. use the Postfix equivalents instead of the ones from the
                          > sendmail package (the default out of the box).

                          Meh. Install 'system-switch-mail' and let it do that for you.

                          > > There is rarely a need to compile a package when using a distro like
                          > > Centos, and compiling is actually a bad thing, as it will break the
                          > > package management tools.
                          >
                          > It doesn't break the package management tools, but merely bypasses them.

                          Until someone runs 'yum update' or its equivalent on the box and fails
                          to notice that Postfix is in the list of packages to be updated. After
                          the update, the compiled version which 'bypasses' the package management
                          tools has been squashed and the custom compile has been rendered
                          useless.

                          Again, this is why Simon Mudd makes his SRPM (and binary) packages. So
                          users can build Postfix to their liking without losing the package
                          management capabilities. It's well-documented, he keeps it current, and
                          it works.

                          --Brian
                          Message 12 of 14 , Dec 4, 2007
                            Brian wrote:
                            >>> Those are the only commands you need to use. Unless you have a
                            >>> specific need to compile postfix, please use the yum/rpm packages
                            >>> instead.
                            >> Rather than removing sendmail, it's better to use the Red Hat alternatives
                            >> system (type man alternatives for more info):
                            >> sudo /usr/sbin/alternatives --set mta /usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix
                            >>
                            >> This sets up symbolic links so that the commands sendmail, mailq,
                            >> newaliases, etc. use the Postfix equivalents instead of the ones from the
                            >> sendmail package (the default out of the box).
                            >
                            > Meh. Install 'system-switch-mail' and let it do that for you.
                            >
                            >>> There is rarely a need to compile a package when using a distro like
                            >>> Centos, and compiling is actually a bad thing, as it will break the
                            >>> package management tools.
                            >> It doesn't break the package management tools, but merely bypasses them.
                            >
                            > Until someone runs 'yum update' or its equivalent on the box and fails
                            > to notice that Postfix is in the list of packages to be updated. After
                            > the update, the compiled version which 'bypasses' the package management
                            > tools has been squashed and the custom compile has been rendered
                            > useless.
                            >
                            > Again, this is why Simon Mudd makes his SRPM (and binary) packages. So
                            > users can build Postfix to their liking without losing the package
                            > management capabilities. It's well-documented, he keeps it current, and
                            > it works.

                            if you use your own RPMs, you should use
                            exclude=postfix* ...
                            in the yum repo config file.
                          • Brian Collins
                            Message 13 of 14 , Dec 4, 2007
                              > > Again, this is why Simon Mudd makes his SRPM (and binary) packages. So
                              > > users can build Postfix to their liking without losing the package
                              > > management capabilities. It's well-documented, he keeps it current, and
                              > > it works.
                              >
                              > if you use your own RPMs, you should use
                              > exclude=postfix* ...
                              > in the yum repo config file.

                              That's a good idea. Fortunately, I've been able to afford to be lazy in
                              that regard, because RedHat's version of Postfix, even in the updates repo,
                              is always older than the version I have installed. :) But yeah, good idea.

                              --Brian