Installation Questions

  • Joseph L. Casale
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 2, 2007
      Hi,
      I am a new user to postfix and Linux. I am using CentOS 5 and even with a minimal installation, sendmail is installed with other applications dependant on it.

      I downloaded the postfix-2.5-20071130.tar.gz and compiled it then installed it making the user and group before. It stated that it removed sendmail as the default and now postfix is.

      How does one verify any dependency on sendmail so I can safely uninstall it?

      Thanks for the noob patience :)

      jlc
    • Sahil Tandon
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 2, 2007
        * Joseph L. Casale <jcasale@...> [2007-12-02 10:46:51 -0700]:

        > Hi,
        > I am a new user to postfix and Linux. I am using CentOS 5 and even with a minimal installation, sendmail is installed with other applications dependant on it.
        >
        > I downloaded the postfix-2.5-20071130.tar.gz and compiled it then installed it making the user and group before. It stated that it removed sendmail as the default and now postfix is.
        >
        > How does one verify any dependency on sendmail so I can safely uninstall it?

        Postfix installs a Sendmail compatability interface, so you can safely remove the actual package.

        http://www.postfix.org/sendmail.1.html

        --
        Sahil Tandon <sahil@...>
      • Terry Carmen
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 2, 2007
          Sahil Tandon wrote:
          > Postfix installs a Sendmail compatability interface, so you can safely remove the actual package.
          >
          > http://www.postfix.org/sendmail.1.html

          More than that, you *must* remove it (or at least make sure it's not
          somewhere in your path or being referenced by anything).

          I chased a mail loop for a long time before someone here tipped me off.
          Leaving sendmail installed along with Postfix will drive you crazy.

          Terry
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 2, 2007
            Joseph L. Casale wrote:
            > Hi,
            > I am a new user to postfix and Linux. I am using CentOS 5 and even with a minimal installation, sendmail is installed with other applications dependant on it.
            >
            > I downloaded the postfix-2.5-20071130.tar.gz and compiled it then installed it making the user and group before. It stated that it removed sendmail as the default and now postfix is.
            >
            > How does one verify any dependency on sendmail so I can safely uninstall it?

            use /usr/sbin/alternatives to tell the system to use postfix sendmail
            commands. then you can remove Sendmail.
          • Brian Mathis
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 3, 2007
              Installing postfix on CentOS is a matter of:
              yum install postfix
              yum remove sendmail

              Those are the only commands you need to use. Unless you have a
              specific need to compile postfix, please use the yum/rpm packages
              instead.

              There is rarely a need to compile a package when using a distro like
              Centos, and compiling is actually a bad thing, as it will break the
              package management tools.

              On Dec 2, 2007 12:46 PM, Joseph L. Casale <jcasale@...> wrote:
              > Hi,
              > I am a new user to postfix and Linux. I am using CentOS 5 and even with a minimal installation, sendmail is installed with other applications dependant on it.
              >
              > I downloaded the postfix-2.5-20071130.tar.gz and compiled it then installed it making the user and group before. It stated that it removed sendmail as the default and now postfix is.
              >
              > How does one verify any dependency on sendmail so I can safely uninstall it?
              >
              > Thanks for the noob patience :)
              >
              > jlc

            • Brian Collins
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 3, 2007
                > Installing postfix on CentOS is a matter of:
                > yum install postfix
                > yum remove sendmail
                >
                > Those are the only commands you need to use. Unless you have a
                > specific need to compile postfix, please use the yum/rpm packages
                > instead.
                >
                > There is rarely a need to compile a package when using a distro like
                > Centos, and compiling is actually a bad thing, as it will break the
                > package management tools.

                There is a need if you want to use any features not built-in, or if you
                don't like the way RedHat (and thus CentOS) ships Postfix by default. They
                used to make it chroot out of the box; not sure whether they still do that.

                But even if you need to compile your own, it's easy enough with Simon Mudd's
                RPMs. He makes it very easy to built Postfix in an RPM-based system.

                --Brian
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 3, 2007
                  Brian Mathis wrote:
                  > Installing postfix on CentOS is a matter of:
                  > yum install postfix
                  > yum remove sendmail

                  # yum install postfix
                  postfix i386 2:2.2.10-1.1.el4.centos.mysql_pgsql.plus

                  # postconf -a
                  postconf: invalid option -- a

                  so this doesn't support dovecot sasl, and only supports cyrus sasl:

                  # ldd /usr/libexec/postfix/smtpd | grep sasl
                  libsasl2.so.2 => /usr/lib/libsasl2.so.2 (0x0028c000)

                  Compare to this:

                  # rpm -q postfix
                  postfix-2.4.3-1.rhel4
                  # postconf -a
                  dovecot

                  > Those are the only commands you need to use. Unless you have a
                  > specific need to compile postfix, please use the yum/rpm packages
                  > instead.

                  you can get an srpm from:
                  http://ftp.wl0.org/official/2.4/SRPMS/
                  and build an rpm. then either install the rpm or put it in a local yum
                  repository and use yum.

                  > There is rarely a need to compile a package when using a distro like
                  > Centos, and compiling is actually a bad thing, as it will break the
                  > package management tools.

                  care must indeed be taken with regard to dependencies such as mysql,
                  postgres, ldap, ... etc. otherwise, it is ok to rebuild postfix from
                  sources. That said, building an rpm will keep package mgmt working
                  correctly and would prevent problems if a dependency update requires a
                  rebuild.
                • Brian Mathis
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 3, 2007
                    On Dec 3, 2007 10:51 AM, mouss <mlist.only@...> wrote:
                    > Brian Mathis wrote:
                    > > Installing postfix on CentOS is a matter of:
                    > > yum install postfix
                    > > yum remove sendmail
                    >
                    > # yum install postfix
                    > postfix i386 2:2.2.10-1.1.el4.centos.mysql_pgsql.plus
                    >
                    > # postconf -a
                    > postconf: invalid option -- a
                    >
                    > so this doesn't support dovecot sasl, and only supports cyrus sasl:
                    >
                    > # ldd /usr/libexec/postfix/smtpd | grep sasl
                    > libsasl2.so.2 => /usr/lib/libsasl2.so.2 (0x0028c000)
                    >
                    > Compare to this:
                    >
                    > # rpm -q postfix
                    > postfix-2.4.3-1.rhel4
                    > # postconf -a
                    > dovecot
                    >
                    > > Those are the only commands you need to use. Unless you have a
                    > > specific need to compile postfix, please use the yum/rpm packages
                    > > instead.
                    >
                    > you can get an srpm from:
                    > http://ftp.wl0.org/official/2.4/SRPMS/
                    > and build an rpm. then either install the rpm or put it in a local yum
                    > repository and use yum.
                    >
                    > > There is rarely a need to compile a package when using a distro like
                    > > Centos, and compiling is actually a bad thing, as it will break the
                    > > package management tools.
                    >
                    > care must indeed be taken with regard to dependencies such as mysql,
                    > postgres, ldap, ... etc. otherwise, it is ok to rebuild postfix from
                    > sources. That said, building an rpm will keep package mgmt working
                    > correctly and would prevent problems if a dependency update requires a
                    > rebuild.

                    As I said, "Unless you have a specific need". This user is new to
                    both Linux and postfix, and mentioned nothing of those specific needs.
                    The fact is that out of the box, the postfix package works just fine
                    for many uses.

                    As far as your version numbers, I'm not sure where you're getting
                    those. It looks like you might have the centosplus repository
                    enabled, which has packages that are not standard. The main repo has
                    the file: postfix-2.3.3-2.i386.rpm, and for me:

                    # postconf -a
                    cyrus
                    dovecot

                    This is on a CentOS 5.1 system.

                    Also, breaking the package management system should be seen as the
                    ultimate sin, not just a mere inconvenience. The package management
                    system is the very reason that one uses an enterprise-grade OS like
                    centos. I agree that if ABSOLUTELY necessary, one should compile to
                    an rpm first, then install the rpm.
                  • Colin Campbell
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 3, 2007
                      Hi,

                      On Mon, 2007-12-03 at 11:30 -0500, Brian Mathis wrote:
                      > On Dec 3, 2007 10:51 AM, mouss <mlist.only@...> wrote:
                      > > Brian Mathis wrote:
                      > > > Installing postfix on CentOS is a matter of:
                      > > > yum install postfix
                      > > > yum remove sendmail
                      > >
                      > > # yum install postfix
                      > > postfix i386 2:2.2.10-1.1.el4.centos.mysql_pgsql.plus
                      > >
                      > > # postconf -a
                      > > postconf: invalid option -- a
                      > >
                      > > so this doesn't support dovecot sasl, and only supports cyrus sasl:
                      > >
                      > > # ldd /usr/libexec/postfix/smtpd | grep sasl
                      > > libsasl2.so.2 => /usr/lib/libsasl2.so.2 (0x0028c000)
                      > >
                      > > Compare to this:
                      > >
                      > > # rpm -q postfix
                      > > postfix-2.4.3-1.rhel4
                      > > # postconf -a
                      > > dovecot
                      > >
                      > > > Those are the only commands you need to use. Unless you have a
                      > > > specific need to compile postfix, please use the yum/rpm packages
                      > > > instead.
                      > >
                      > > you can get an srpm from:
                      > > http://ftp.wl0.org/official/2.4/SRPMS/
                      > > and build an rpm. then either install the rpm or put it in a local yum
                      > > repository and use yum.
                      > >
                      > > > There is rarely a need to compile a package when using a distro like
                      > > > Centos, and compiling is actually a bad thing, as it will break the
                      > > > package management tools.
                      > >
                      > > care must indeed be taken with regard to dependencies such as mysql,
                      > > postgres, ldap, ... etc. otherwise, it is ok to rebuild postfix from
                      > > sources. That said, building an rpm will keep package mgmt working
                      > > correctly and would prevent problems if a dependency update requires a
                      > > rebuild.
                      >

                      > As I said, "Unless you have a specific need". This user is new to
                      > both Linux and postfix, and mentioned nothing of those specific needs.
                      > The fact is that out of the box, the postfix package works just fine
                      > for many uses.
                      >
                      > As far as your version numbers, I'm not sure where you're getting
                      > those. It looks like you might have the centosplus repository
                      > enabled, which has packages that are not standard. The main repo has
                      > the file: postfix-2.3.3-2.i386.rpm, and for me:
                      >
                      > # postconf -a
                      > cyrus
                      > dovecot
                      >
                      > This is on a CentOS 5.1 system.
                      >
                      > Also, breaking the package management system should be seen as the
                      > ultimate sin, not just a mere inconvenience. The package management
                      > system is the very reason that one uses an enterprise-grade OS like
                      > centos. I agree that if ABSOLUTELY necessary, one should compile to
                      > an rpm first, then install the rpm.

                      Just a word of warning, having been bitten by this once: Some RHEL
                      versions contain packages with a dependency on "smtpdaemon". "mdadm" is
                      one such package. If you remove all SMTP packages, and install postfix
                      from source, the next time you run "yum update" or "up2date" you'll get
                      a dependency failure and most likely exim will be installed for you.

                      Colin

                      --
                      Colin Campbell
                      Unix Support/Postmaster/Hostmaster
                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 3, 2007
                        Brian Mathis wrote:
                        > As I said, "Unless you have a specific need". This user is new to
                        > both Linux and postfix, and mentioned nothing of those specific needs.
                        > The fact is that out of the box, the postfix package works just fine
                        > for many uses.
                        >
                        > As far as your version numbers, I'm not sure where you're getting
                        > those. It looks like you might have the centosplus repository
                        > enabled, which has packages that are not standard.

                        it was on a 4.5 with centosplus lately enabled.

                        > The main repo has
                        > the file: postfix-2.3.3-2.i386.rpm, and for me:
                        >
                        > # postconf -a
                        > cyrus
                        > dovecot
                        >
                        > This is on a CentOS 5.1 system.
                        >
                        > Also, breaking the package management system should be seen as the
                        > ultimate sin, not just a mere inconvenience. The package management
                        > system is the very reason that one uses an enterprise-grade OS like
                        > centos. I agree that if ABSOLUTELY necessary, one should compile to
                        > an rpm first, then install the rpm.

                        while I agree on the principle, I don't think this should be taken
                        religiously. If the available packages are enough, there is of course no
                        reason to fight against problems that didn't exist. but sometimes, you
                        want a more recent package (subversion, dovecot, [php was an example
                        some time ago when only php4 was available in standard], postfix
                        [although the supplied versions are ok for most people] ...), or a
                        package with different options.

                        I wonder if it's worth to move to pkgsrc (I am bsd biased).
                      • Julian Cowley
                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 3, 2007
                          On Mon, 3 Dec 2007, Brian Mathis wrote:
                          > Installing postfix on CentOS is a matter of:
                          > yum install postfix
                          > yum remove sendmail
                          >
                          > Those are the only commands you need to use. Unless you have a
                          > specific need to compile postfix, please use the yum/rpm packages
                          > instead.

                          Rather than removing sendmail, it's better to use the Red Hat alternatives
                          system (type man alternatives for more info):

                          sudo /usr/sbin/alternatives --set mta /usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix

                          This sets up symbolic links so that the commands sendmail, mailq,
                          newaliases, etc. use the Postfix equivalents instead of the ones from the
                          sendmail package (the default out of the box).

                          > There is rarely a need to compile a package when using a distro like
                          > Centos, and compiling is actually a bad thing, as it will break the
                          > package management tools.

                          It doesn't break the package management tools, but merely bypasses them.
                        • Brian
                          Message 12 of 14 , Dec 3, 2007
                            > > Those are the only commands you need to use. Unless you have a
                            > > specific need to compile postfix, please use the yum/rpm packages
                            > > instead.
                            >
                            > Rather than removing sendmail, it's better to use the Red Hat alternatives
                            > system (type man alternatives for more info):
                            > sudo /usr/sbin/alternatives --set mta /usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix
                            >
                            > This sets up symbolic links so that the commands sendmail, mailq,
                            > newaliases, etc. use the Postfix equivalents instead of the ones from the
                            > sendmail package (the default out of the box).

                            Meh. Install 'system-switch-mail' and let it do that for you.

                            > > There is rarely a need to compile a package when using a distro like
                            > > Centos, and compiling is actually a bad thing, as it will break the
                            > > package management tools.
                            >
                            > It doesn't break the package management tools, but merely bypasses them.

                            Until someone runs 'yum update' or its equivalent on the box and fails
                            to notice that Postfix is in the list of packages to be updated. After
                            the update, the compiled version which 'bypasses' the package management
                            tools has been squashed and the custom compile has been rendered
                            useless.

                            Again, this is why Simon Mudd makes his SRPM (and binary) packages. So
                            users can build Postfix to their liking without losing the package
                            management capabilities. It's well-documented, he keeps it current, and
                            it works.

                            --Brian
                            Message 13 of 14 , Dec 4, 2007
                              Brian wrote:
                              >>> Those are the only commands you need to use. Unless you have a
                              >>> specific need to compile postfix, please use the yum/rpm packages
                              >>> instead.
                              >> Rather than removing sendmail, it's better to use the Red Hat alternatives
                              >> system (type man alternatives for more info):
                              >> sudo /usr/sbin/alternatives --set mta /usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix
                              >>
                              >> This sets up symbolic links so that the commands sendmail, mailq,
                              >> newaliases, etc. use the Postfix equivalents instead of the ones from the
                              >> sendmail package (the default out of the box).
                              >
                              > Meh. Install 'system-switch-mail' and let it do that for you.
                              >
                              >>> There is rarely a need to compile a package when using a distro like
                              >>> Centos, and compiling is actually a bad thing, as it will break the
                              >>> package management tools.
                              >> It doesn't break the package management tools, but merely bypasses them.
                              >
                              > Until someone runs 'yum update' or its equivalent on the box and fails
                              > to notice that Postfix is in the list of packages to be updated. After
                              > the update, the compiled version which 'bypasses' the package management
                              > tools has been squashed and the custom compile has been rendered
                              > useless.
                              >
                              > Again, this is why Simon Mudd makes his SRPM (and binary) packages. So
                              > users can build Postfix to their liking without losing the package
                              > management capabilities. It's well-documented, he keeps it current, and
                              > it works.

                              if you use your own RPMs, you should use
                              exclude=postfix* ...
                              in the yum repo config file.
                            • Brian Collins
                              Message 14 of 14 , Dec 4, 2007
                                > > Again, this is why Simon Mudd makes his SRPM (and binary) packages. So
                                > > users can build Postfix to their liking without losing the package
                                > > management capabilities. It's well-documented, he keeps it current, and
                                > > it works.
                                >
                                > if you use your own RPMs, you should use
                                > exclude=postfix* ...
                                > in the yum repo config file.

                                That's a good idea. Fortunately, I've been able to afford to be lazy in
                                that regard, because RedHat's version of Postfix, even in the updates repo,
                                is always older than the version I have installed. :) But yeah, good idea.

                                --Brian