Confused about hostnames & domainnames

  • Kevin O'Gorman
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 30, 2007
      I'm running on gentoo (stable x86), running postfix.  I tried to clean up my configuration a short while ago, and I seem to have caused some damage.

      It's minor, I think, because the only symptom I see so far is that mail I send myself from a crontab entry is now bouncing, because ' treat.localdomain' does not resolve.

      Well, of course it doesn't, because there's no such domain as localdomain.  But I think the prior postfix setup had some mention of it that I deleted.  I know better than
      to do that and not have a backup, but I did.

      While I'm at it, I'm a bit confused about hostnames and domainnames as they're used in setup and system calls.
      The gentoo documentation says to put only the hostname in /etc/hostname, and the init scripts then copy it to the kernel with the sethostname() call.
      However, the postfix comments in main.cf say that the default value of $myhostname is the FQDN from gethostname(). But it's not a FQDN.  Furthermore,
      the default of $mydomain is $myhostname minus the first component.  So it's empty.

      What's the right way to do this?

      --
      Kevin O'Gorman, PhD
    • Sahil Tandon
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 30, 2007
        * Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@...> [2007-11-30 22:09:22 -0800]:

        > I'm running on gentoo (stable x86), running postfix. I tried to clean up my
        > configuration a short while ago, and I seem to have caused some damage.
        >
        > It's minor, I think, because the only symptom I see so far is that mail I
        > send myself from a crontab entry is now bouncing, because 'treat.localdomain'
        > does not resolve.
        >
        > Well, of course it doesn't, because there's no such domain as localdomain.
        > But I think the prior postfix setup had some mention of it that I deleted.
        > I know better than
        > to do that and not have a backup, but I did.
        >
        > While I'm at it, I'm a bit confused about hostnames and domainnames as
        > they're used in setup and system calls.
        > The gentoo documentation says to put only the hostname in /etc/hostname, and
        > the init scripts then copy it to the kernel with the sethostname() call.
        > However, the postfix comments in main.cf say that the default value of
        > $myhostname is the FQDN from gethostname(). But it's not a FQDN.
        > Furthermore,
        > the default of $mydomain is $myhostname minus the first component. So it's
        > empty.
        >
        > What's the right way to do this?

        In main.cf, you can explicitly set myhostname = your.actual.fqdn.hostname.
        Assuming $myorigin = $myhostname (which is the default), locally-posted mail
        should pass.

        --
        Sahil Tandon <sahil@...>