Too much logging information to mail.debug

  • Brian Sebby
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 30, 2007
      I'm trying to set up a simple client postfix configuration to relay mail
      from a non-mailserver to our relay. I've got it all working except for
      one issue: postfix is spewing tons of information to the syslog file via
      the mail.debug facility.

      The mail is coming from localhost, and is being delivered to a remote host.
      The system is using LDAP for users and groups, and a lot of the debugging
      information appears to be this type of data:

      ... <lots deleted> ...
      Nov 30 20:41:57 my-host postfix/smtp[28928]: [ID 339871 mail.debug] tid= 1: hostCertPath=/var/ldap
      Nov 30 20:41:57 my-host postfix/smtp[28928]: [ID 639905 mail.debug] tid= 1: userID=cn=simple-host,ou=<our local LDAP information removed>
      Nov 30 20:41:57 my-host postfix/smtp[28928]: [ID 323218 mail.debug] tid= 1: unlocking sessionLock
      Nov 30 20:41:57 my-host postfix/smtp[28928]: [ID 197553 mail.info] 679DE2444F: to=<sebby@...>, relay=<our relay host info removed>:25, delay=0.26, delays=0.16/0.07/0.01/0.02, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 2.0.0 Ok: queued as 8E43D6)
      Nov 30 20:41:57 my-host postfix/qmgr[28919]: [ID 197553 mail.info] 679DE2444F: removed

      It is delivering the mail properly. I just want it to stop telling me
      everything.

      From what I gathered, this should be controlled via the debug_peer_level and
      debug_peer_list variables. However, that didn't seem to work, even when I
      set debug_peer_list= (empty). Even with nothing in the list, it's still
      spewing tons of information to mail.debug.

      Here is my postconf -n output (I have sanitized it to remove site-specific
      information):

      # postconf -n
      command_directory = /usr/sbin
      config_directory = /etc/postfix
      daemon_directory = /usr/libexec/postfix
      debug_peer_level = 2
      debug_peer_list =
      html_directory = no
      inet_interfaces = localhost
      mail_owner = postfix
      mailq_path = /usr/bin/mailq
      manpage_directory = /usr/local/man
      masquerade_domains = <list of local domains>
      masquerade_exceptions = root
      mydestination =
      mydomain = anl.gov
      newaliases_path = /usr/bin/newaliases
      queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix
      readme_directory = no
      relayhost = <our mail relay>
      sample_directory = /etc/postfix
      sendmail_path = /usr/lib/sendmail.postfix
      setgid_group = postdrop
      smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP spammers-go-home
      unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550
      virtual_alias_maps = dbm:/etc/postfix/virtual

      Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

      Brian

      --
      Brian Sebby (sebby@...) | Unix and Operation Services
      Phone: +1 630.252.9935 | Computing and Information Systems
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 30, 2007
        I'm trying to set up a simple client postfix configuration to relay mail
        from a non-mailserver to our relay. I've got it all working except for
        one issue: postfix is spewing tons of information to the syslog file via
        the mail.debug facility.

        ------------------

        Check your master.cf for entries with a -v appended. Remove the -v.

        If postfix was installed like this by a package, complain to the package maintainer.

        --
        Noel Jones
      • Brian Sebby
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 30, 2007
          There's nothing in my master.cf file with a -v appended:

          % grep -- -v master.cf
          %

          Here are my entries for smtp and qmgr:

          smtp inet n - n - - smtpd
          qmgr fifo n - n 300 1 qmgr

          Brian

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 30, 2007
            On Fri, Nov 30, 2007 at 08:51:02PM -0600, Brian Sebby wrote:

            > I'm trying to set up a simple client postfix configuration to relay mail
            > from a non-mailserver to our relay. I've got it all working except for
            > one issue: postfix is spewing tons of information to the syslog file via
            > the mail.debug facility.
            >
            > The mail is coming from localhost, and is being delivered to a remote host.
            > The system is using LDAP for users and groups, and a lot of the debugging
            > information appears to be this type of data:
            >
            > ... <lots deleted> ...
            > Nov 30 20:41:57 my-host postfix/smtp[28928]: [ID 339871 mail.debug] tid= 1: hostCertPath=/var/ldap
            > Nov 30 20:41:57 my-host postfix/smtp[28928]: [ID 639905 mail.debug] tid= 1: userID=cn=simple-host,ou=<our local LDAP information removed>
            > Nov 30 20:41:57 my-host postfix/smtp[28928]: [ID 323218 mail.debug] tid= 1: unlocking sessionLock

            This logging is not done by Postfix, rather it is your NSS libraries
            calling syslog(3) from inside routine system interfaces (getpwnam,
            ...). Postfix never uses the "debug" log level, all Postfix logging is
            at LOG_INFO or higher priority (lower number).

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 1, 2007
              Brian Sebby:
              > There's nothing in my master.cf file with a -v appended:
              >
              > % grep -- -v master.cf
              > %

              As suggested in the mailing list welcome message.
              "postconf -n" output, please.