Re: About mail delivery notification

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2007
      On Thu, Nov 01, 2007 at 06:17:11PM +0800, Bruce Cheng wrote:

      > Dear all,
      >
      > I meet some mail server can't be connected, and my mail server will
      > keep trying to send out the message. I know I could check the maillog
      > to see if it is sent out, but how do my users know their message were
      > sent out successfully ?
      >
      > Is there any way to notify users while their message were sent out
      > successfully before the setting of "bounce_queue_lifetime" ?
      >
      > Any suggestions will appreciate.

      http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#delay_warning_time

      I use "2h" (delay warning after 2 hours). The delay warning is only sent
      once. If delivery ultimately fails, the next notice is the bounce.

      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2007
        Victor Duchovni:
        > On Thu, Nov 01, 2007 at 06:17:11PM +0800, Bruce Cheng wrote:
        >
        > > Dear all,
        > >
        > > I meet some mail server can't be connected, and my mail server will
        > > keep trying to send out the message. I know I could check the maillog
        > > to see if it is sent out, but how do my users know their message were
        > > sent out successfully ?
        > >
        > > Is there any way to notify users while their message were sent out
        > > successfully before the setting of "bounce_queue_lifetime" ?
        > >
        > > Any suggestions will appreciate.
        >
        > http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#delay_warning_time
        >
        > I use "2h" (delay warning after 2 hours). The delay warning is only sent
        > once. If delivery ultimately fails, the next notice is the bounce.

        With Postfix 2.3 and later the sender can request SUCCESS notification.
        See http://www.postfix.org/DSN_README.html.

        Wietse
      • Bruce Cheng
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2007
          Dear Wietse,

          Thank you so much, that is exactly what I want.

          Dear Viktor,

          Thank you, I knew that and I set it 20m. :)

          2007/11/1, Wietse Venema <wietse@...>:
          Victor Duchovni:
          > On Thu, Nov 01, 2007 at 06:17:11PM +0800, Bruce Cheng wrote:
          >
          > > Dear all,
          > >
          > > I meet some mail server can't be connected, and my mail server will
          > > keep trying to send out the message. I know I could check the maillog
          > > to see if it is sent out, but how do my users know their message were
          > > sent out successfully ?
          > >
          > > Is there any way to notify users while their message were sent out
          > > successfully before the setting of "bounce_queue_lifetime"  ?
          > >
          > > Any suggestions will appreciate.
          >
          >     http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#delay_warning_time
          >
          > I use "2h" (delay warning after 2 hours). The delay warning is only sent
          > once. If delivery ultimately fails, the next notice is the bounce.

          With Postfix 2.3 and later the sender can request SUCCESS notification.
          See http://www.postfix.org/DSN_README.html .

          Best Regards,
          Bruce Cheng