About mail delivery notification

  • Bruce Cheng
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2007
      Dear all,

      I meet some mail server can't be connected, and my mail server will
      keep trying to send out the message. I know I could check the maillog
      to see if it is sent out, but how do my users know their message were
      sent out successfully ?

      Is there any way to notify users while their message were sent out
      successfully before the setting of "bounce_queue_lifetime" ?

      Any suggestions will appreciate.

      Thank you in advance.
      --
      Best Regards,
      Bruce
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2007
        On Thu, Nov 01, 2007 at 06:17:11PM +0800, Bruce Cheng wrote:

        > Dear all,
        >
        > I meet some mail server can't be connected, and my mail server will
        > keep trying to send out the message. I know I could check the maillog
        > to see if it is sent out, but how do my users know their message were
        > sent out successfully ?
        >
        > Is there any way to notify users while their message were sent out
        > successfully before the setting of "bounce_queue_lifetime" ?
        >
        > Any suggestions will appreciate.

        http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#delay_warning_time

        I use "2h" (delay warning after 2 hours). The delay warning is only sent
        once. If delivery ultimately fails, the next notice is the bounce.

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2007
          Victor Duchovni:
          > On Thu, Nov 01, 2007 at 06:17:11PM +0800, Bruce Cheng wrote:
          >
          > > Dear all,
          > >
          > > I meet some mail server can't be connected, and my mail server will
          > > keep trying to send out the message. I know I could check the maillog
          > > to see if it is sent out, but how do my users know their message were
          > > sent out successfully ?
          > >
          > > Is there any way to notify users while their message were sent out
          > > successfully before the setting of "bounce_queue_lifetime" ?
          > >
          > > Any suggestions will appreciate.
          >
          > http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#delay_warning_time
          >
          > I use "2h" (delay warning after 2 hours). The delay warning is only sent
          > once. If delivery ultimately fails, the next notice is the bounce.

          With Postfix 2.3 and later the sender can request SUCCESS notification.
          See http://www.postfix.org/DSN_README.html.

          Wietse
        • Bruce Cheng
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 1, 2007
            Dear Wietse,

            Thank you so much, that is exactly what I want.

            Dear Viktor,

            Thank you, I knew that and I set it 20m. :)

            2007/11/1, Wietse Venema <wietse@...>:
            Victor Duchovni:
            > On Thu, Nov 01, 2007 at 06:17:11PM +0800, Bruce Cheng wrote:
            >
            > > Dear all,
            > >
            > > I meet some mail server can't be connected, and my mail server will
            > > keep trying to send out the message. I know I could check the maillog
            > > to see if it is sent out, but how do my users know their message were
            > > sent out successfully ?
            > >
            > > Is there any way to notify users while their message were sent out
            > > successfully before the setting of "bounce_queue_lifetime"  ?
            > >
            > > Any suggestions will appreciate.
            >
            >     http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#delay_warning_time
            >
            > I use "2h" (delay warning after 2 hours). The delay warning is only sent
            > once. If delivery ultimately fails, the next notice is the bounce.

            With Postfix 2.3 and later the sender can request SUCCESS notification.
            See http://www.postfix.org/DSN_README.html .

            Best Regards,
            Bruce Cheng